Thread: 60GB Playstation 3

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 60GB Playstation 3

Hey everybody, just kind of curious, looking for opinions. Is the original 60GB PS3 still a desirable/big money item? I know there for a while everybody had to have it because of the PS2 compatibility. I had a chance to pick one up for cheap yesterday but I left it behind. Today I'm kind of kicking myself (non-buyer's remorse I guess), so just for the heck of it I looked it up on Gamestop and they're "only" $219. Have the heat/YLOD issues and the small-ish hard drive finally overridden the value of the PS2 compatibility? (edit) Or maybe just to answer my own question, is it just an age thing, since the launch models are coming up on 6 years old?
    Last edited by Dreadstar; 07-24-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

YLOD is a scare, I'm sure. The small HDD isn't really a terrible issue, given that it can be swapped out simply. I'd say one would go for $250, tops.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen them go for under to around $200 unboxed, and around $230-$260 boxed. I think you may be on to something, Dreadstar, with the risk of overheating and YLOD overriding the value of the PS2 backwards compatibility. I hadn't thought of that myself; I'd just noticed the prices dropping a bit.
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As a person who lost two 60gs, and just had a customer return a defective 60g, they're bot worth it, at all. Both the launch day 360s and the launch day PS3s are fairly worthless hardware wise.

This is based sorely on reliability. If you're truly looking for function, a slim PS3 and a PS2 for PS2 games is the best way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They've definitely lost their value over the years. Having said that, I was able to sell a boxed one for $280 earlier this year. However, the hard drive had been upgraded to something much larger and I also had it listed on multiple sites for atleast six months before someone finally bought it. I have one more launch PS3 60 gig left but if I ever sell it I don't expect to get much for it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    They've definitely lost their value over the years. Having said that, I was able to sell a boxed one for $280 earlier this year. However, the hard drive had been upgraded to something much larger and I also had it listed on multiple sites for atleast six months before someone finally bought it. I have one more launch PS3 60 gig left but if I ever sell it I don't expect to get much for it.
    I expect it's due to the dwindling PS2 market. There was a time when I could get $300 for a loose 60gb with controller/cables/a few PS2 games. That time has come and gone, unless you have a NIB 60gb. Those still commanded 600-800 last time I looked several months ago.