Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Defined Which Years Formed Which Video Game Generations?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    You asked "What's really the criteria here?" I said: "To me the criteria is the actual hardware, and to a lesser extent, the general intent when the system was released." You mention the LaserActive, and I explain how it's categorized based on the criteria I stated. How is there any question of whether the hardware is relevant, when that's what I said in the first place?

Proving your point for you? You asked a question. I assumed you were legitimately asking, not positing a question just to lure someone into some sort of rhetorical trap.

Why did you ask "Is it fifth gen?" if you so strongly feel that "fifth gen" is a meaningless distinction? If that's your opinion, that's fine. But you could have just said from the beginning, "this is what I think, and I don't care what anyone else says."
    I asked the question because "actual hardware" is ridiculously vague and pretty inconsistent with respect to how much power is enough power and in what areas. You're right that it's mostly the thing that seems to matter but there's no yard stick to decide how much is enough. We can see it with the CD-I. Compared to the Genesis, the CD-I has a faster processor, more RAM, can push tons more colors, etc. So what makes it not powerful enough to kick off the next gen if hardware is the primary concern?

And like I said before, when it comes to measuring hardware capability, there's no agreed upon standard. We see it whenever somebody asks if the Jaguar was really 64 bit. You'll get different takes on it based on different criteria for making these measurements and different people give more weight to different aspects. The Intellivision was 16 bit but nobody seems to suggest that the Intellivision marked the beginning of a new generation the way the PC Engine is said to despite the PCE's 16 bit-ness being the primary reason for starting the new gen. Where's the consistency?

It seems to me that the generations are measured based on a relatively arbitrary calculus that accounts for hardware capability, time period (hence why the crash somehow factors in), and whatever marketing gimmicks may have been in play at the time. I guess its good enough in a pinch to give an idea of what a particular decade was like but we may as well just say "early 90s gaming" or something and it does the same job. Or simply be specific enough to say "Genesis gaming." I don't see why we bother numbering the generations. Especially since once we start hitting double digits its going to be completely unwieldy.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 08-02-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

If I remember correctly, it was me who extended the 5th generation to 2006 and the 4th generation to 1996, at least one of the times it was changed anyway. I wanted to include from when first console was released to when last console was discontinued.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While some systems don't fit cleanly into this framework, as far as I'm concerned, we're in the 9th console generation.

1st - Dedicated systems
    2nd - Atari 2600, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, etc.
    3rd - Colecovision, Atari 5200, Vectrex, etc.
    4th - Atari 7800, NES, SMS, etc.
    5th - SuperNes, Genesis, etc.
    6th - N64, Playstation, Saturn, etc.
    7th - DC, PS2, Xbox, GCN
    8th - Wii, 360, PS3
    9th - PS4, XB1, Wii U

I don't care what some nerd that lives on Wikipedia and never played pre-NES hardware has to say.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    While some systems don't fit cleanly into this framework, as far as I'm concerned, we're in the 9th console generation.

1st - Dedicated systems
    7th - DC, PS2, Xbox, GCN
    8th - Wii, 360, PS3
    9th - PS4, XB1, Wii U

I don't care what some nerd that lives on Wikipedia and never played pre-NES hardware has to say.
    I'd have to agree. The ColecoVision/5200/Vectrex clearly belong in their own generation. Those systems all launched in 1982. That's actually closer to the NES launch date than the Atari 2600 launch date! 5 years vs 3.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Guys, I totally agree about the ColecoVision and Atari 5200 being the next generation beyond the 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd like to know who the hell had the authority or was given it to choose these generations anyway, especially the early stuff since it's so scatter shot and clumped together. There's nothing comparable in the a/v quality of something like the Colecovision and 5200 to the 2600/Fairchild type stuff. You went from beeps and bloops with big blocky squares to some decent chip based tunes that would carry a melody and visuals with enough pixel density and quality along with color to make stuff clearly identifiable and even animated well too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post

1st - Dedicated systems
    7th - DC, PS2, Xbox, GCN
    8th - Wii, 360, PS3
    9th - PS4, XB1, Wii U

Yeah!

People seem to forget that their was a huge influx of dedicated systems on the market a few years before the Atari 2600, and that the original Odyssey had arrived in 1972. That generation was considered the 1st video game crash.

http://gaminghistory101.com/tag/1977/
    Last edited by Gamevet; 12-22-2015 at 11:06 PM.