Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Arts Up For Sale? [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Electronic Arts Up For Sale? [Slashdot]

John Wagger writes "One of the world's largest gaming publishers and developers Electronic Arts has quietly put itself up for sale. While there have already been talks with private equity companies, the talks have not resulted in anything concrete. One of the sources is saying that EA would do the deal for $20 per share (currently at $14.02). Over the past year, EA's stock price has fallen 37 percent. Like other major game publishers, EA has been struggling against growing trend of social and mobile gaming."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You wonder why none of the first party developers try and acquire companies like this. EA would be a better company to own than Activision in my opinion. So many great IPs are owned and licensed to EA, as well as the many talented developers and other companies that they have under them.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lets start a kickstarter to raise money to purchase EA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You wonder why none of the first party developers try and acquire companies like this. EA would be a better company to own than Activision in my opinion. So many great IPs are owned and licensed to EA, as well as the many talented developers and other companies that they have under them.
    The reason why nobody purchased Activision-Blizzard when it was available for sale the last few months(including Microsoft) is because they didn't feel like it was worth the asking price, which was supposedly somewhere between 8-15 billion. Had it been a more reasonable amount(think millions instead of billions) Microsoft or another suitor would have gladly purchased them. And the same shall apply to EA. Are they worth their asking price? It depends on how much they are asking.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

"I'll buy that for a dollar!"
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EA and these other major publishers that have a million games on the go at any given moment need to scale back and focus on a handful of titles at a time and make some truly great AAA games. They need to stop pumping out these annual or semi annual sports games, Need for Speed games, WWE games, shooters, etc, with only minor tweaks from year to year and stop charging full price for them. Take the Apple approach and focus on a few things and do them really well. It's no coincidence that the best games come from developers like Team Kojima, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Epic Games, Bunjie, Polyphony, etc, who only focus on 1 or 2 games at a time.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    The reason why nobody purchased Activision-Blizzard when it was available for sale the last few months(including Microsoft) is because they didn't feel like it was worth the asking price, which was supposedly somewhere between 8-15 billion. Had it been a more reasonable amount(think millions instead of billions) Microsoft or another suitor would have gladly purchased them. And the same shall apply to EA. Are they worth their asking price? It depends on how much they are asking.
    EA would be valued at whatever the purchaser thinks their IP is worth. If they found the right sucker, who knows?

This situation reminds me of what Micheal Pachter said about Nintendo--he thinks their IP is worth 3-5 billion (if I remember correctly), but he believes the reason the company's market cap is significantly less than the IP's value is because investors discount management's ability to capitalize on their IP. I think the same may be happening to EA--the IP is some of the best in the business, but their management has lost the faith of investors and consumer confidence has eroded due to EA's business practices.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It could be fun to buy EA just to get the NFL game rights. Put out a new football game with all the current players, but only make the games for the CDi and 3DO. Sports nuts have to buy every new game every year so I guess they'll have to get a CDi or 3DO to play them.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    EA and these other major publishers that have a million games on the go at any given moment need to scale back and focus on a handful of titles at a time and make some truly great AAA games. They need to stop pumping out these annual or semi annual sports games, Need for Speed games, WWE games, shooters, etc, with only minor tweaks from year to year and stop charging full price for them. Take the Apple approach and focus on a few things and do them really well.
    I agree. It's not like EA releases anything but yearly sports games, The Sims, and Need for Speed titles. Mirror's Edge, Battlefield 3, Dead Space, Army of Two, Dante's Inferno, Dragon Age, and The Saboteur were obviously released by other publishers.

It's no coincidence that the best games come from developers like Team Kojima, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Epic Games, Bunjie, Polyphony, etc, who only focus on 1 or 2 games at a time.
    These are developers that create games for whatever company is in question. Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, and Polyphony Digital would be "Sony," just as DICE, Visceral Games, and Criterion Games are "EA." So just like Sony developers, each seperate developer owned by EA is focusing on one or two games at a time.

Not only that, but you're bitching about the same game with minor changes year after year, such as Need for Speed, yet you listed developers that have been releasing a long line of games that follow the same formula. Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, God of Bore, Gears of War, Halo, and Gran Turismo. Each of those games' sequels are practically the exact same game with different maps, different story, better graphics, and a few minor adjustments to the gameplay mechanics. Not that Need for Speed is any good, or atleast isn't as good as it used to be, but the statement itself is pretty hypocritical.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It could be fun to buy EA just to get the NFL game rights. Put out a new football game with all the current players, but only make the games for the CDi and 3DO. Sports nuts have to buy every new game every year so I guess they'll have to get a CDi or 3DO to play them.
    I'd go one better and start producing the 3DO again since EA had a big part in that whole thing it seemed....
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

This is kind of mind blowing to me. They have acquired so many smaller developers, and churn out so many games a year that this comes as a shock to me. I knew sales were down a bit, but not bad enough to put themselves up for sale.

I don't really make a habit of following ea as a publisher, but they must have been doing something wrong for quite awhile to get to this point. Their drm and dlc/origin bullshit probably didn't help.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.125826,-118.158366

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Just because its for sale doesn't mean they're about to shut the doors.....

also I found this humorous
    http://www.dorkly.com/comic/42862/vi...e-your-friends
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I wouldn't mind seeing an end to sports-license exclusivity. Innovation doesn't occur if there's nobody to innovate against.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing an end to sports-license exclusivity. Innovation doesn't occur if there's nobody to innovate against.
    Agree.

But I thought I heard recently that EA lost some class action suit regarding NFL rights, and would have to allow other companies to start publishing competing NFL games. One can only hope...

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    The license is really a crutch, companies can still make fun football games but they just want to rely on the licenses as it's an easier selling feature. Most people just want to play as their favourite player or team, they don't really care much about the game itself as long as it works. I haven't seen many recent games similar to Mutant League Football or NES Ice Hockey, I doubt most people really care anyway.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The license is really a crutch, companies can still make fun football games but they just want to rely on the licenses as it's an easier selling feature. Most people just want to play as their favourite player or team, they don't really care much about the game itself as long as it works. I haven't seen many recent games similar to Mutant League Football or NES Ice Hockey, I doubt most people really care anyway.
    in a way thats true. Think about how many sports fans go out and buy year after year the same game just with updated roster and really no complaints it seems. They don't care about the game itself but more so the fact that Peyton Manning's newest stats for the year are put into this game.

If only sports fans as a general not from a gamer perspective but as a general consumer perspective would say "maybe i shouldn't go spend 50-60 dollars on the newest madden game. Maybe EA should just add a extra model/character skin or 2 or a dozen and just update everyones stats and change helmets/jerseys on who ever switched teams and make 10-15bucks on a consoles download service like xbox live or ps network."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I agree. It's not like EA releases anything but yearly sports games, The Sims, and Need for Speed titles. Mirror's Edge, Battlefield 3, Dead Space, Army of Two, Dante's Inferno, Dragon Age, and The Saboteur were obviously released by other publishers.

These are developers that create games for whatever company is in question. Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, and Polyphony Digital would be "Sony," just as DICE, Visceral Games, and Criterion Games are "EA." So just like Sony developers, each seperate developer owned by EA is focusing on one or two games at a time.

Not only that, but you're bitching about the same game with minor changes year after year, such as Need for Speed, yet you listed developers that have been releasing a long line of games that follow the same formula. Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, God of Bore, Gears of War, Halo, and Gran Turismo. Each of those games' sequels are practically the exact same game with different maps, different story, better graphics, and a few minor adjustments to the gameplay mechanics. Not that Need for Speed is any good, or atleast isn't as good as it used to be, but the statement itself is pretty hypocritical.
    My point is that for EA and other big publishers to stay competitive with console games in the age of mobile/social media games, they might need to scale back on the amount of games they release on a yearly basis. EA doesn't need to release sports games every year with minor tweaks and charge $60, the same goes for THQ with its WWE games. They should just focus their efforts on a handful of games at a time and make those games great. That was why I mentioned Naughty Dog, Team Kojima, etc. Yes their games follow the same formula overall, but nonetheless the games they produce like Uncharted and Metal Gear are the gold standard of the industry. They only get released every 2-4 years so you don't feel like you just played the game yesterday, as where the games that come out annually, you feel like you just played the same thing yesterday.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Agree.

But I thought I heard recently that EA lost some class action suit regarding NFL rights, and would have to allow other companies to start publishing competing NFL games.
    Sort of.

This is an important lesson for anyone who thinks that class action lawsuits work for the consumer, so pay attention: EA submitted the following settlement agreement to the judge after the plaintiff's lawyers approved it:

A) They would put up twenty seven million dollars to compensate anyone who bought a Madden game for Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, PS3, or 360. GC/XB/PS2 plaintiffs get seven bucks, PS3 and 360 plaintiffs get two. This lasts until the twenty seven million is gone (after the attorneys get paid), or the submission deadline passes. This ensures that EA will end up paying significantly less than twenty seven million.

B) EA has agreed to allow the NCAA license to go non-exclusive after their exclusive contract runs out in 2014... For five years. They are also prohibited from an exclusive license with... Arena Football for five years.

Please note that the NFL exclusivity, which was the ENTIRE POINT OF THE LAWSUIT, remains exactly how it is. I can't find info on whether or not the settlement was accepted or rejected, though I imagine we'll hear about it one way or the other eventually.

LINK TO DETAILS
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 08-20-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post

B) EA has agreed to allow the NCAA license to go non-exclusive after their exclusive contract runs out in 2014... For five years. They are also prohibited from an exclusive license with... Arena Football for five years.

LINK TO DETAILS
    Arena Football 2K15. Preorder now!

Actually, could an arena football license open up the possibility of getting a Blitz-like game again? I think that league (if it still exists by then) would be a good fit for an arcade style football game.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    EA would be valued at whatever the purchaser thinks their IP is worth. If they found the right sucker, who knows?
    Exactly, it's all about IP, EA never designs games in house anymore.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK