Thread: Connection Confusion

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Connection Confusion

I just made a purchase today that I am VERY happy with: a 27-inch Standard Definition Sony Trinitron (but still with the flat glass screen, not curved) with RF, Composite, S-Video, and Component inputs. I'm excited to get all of my games and systems running and looking their best on my new TV, but I am very confused. To be more specific, it's the component/RGB aspect that has me confused.

I own an XRGB-2 Plus upscan converter, which outputs in VGA. If I hook up my systems using RGB cables run through the XRGB-2 plus, can I simply use a VGA to component cable (such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/VGA-RCA-Compon...=component+vga) to connect my XRGB-2 Plus to the component inputs on the TV? I really cannot figure out if this is possible, sorry if it's a simple question.

I've also heard that with a CRT you can simply purchase the RGB Scart cable for the desired system and the connect it to an RGB to component cable and that will work. This seems too easy to me, but again, I'm pretty confused by this.

If anybody is wondering, the systems that I'm attempting to connect using this method are the Super Nintendo, Genesis, and Saturn.

I'm also curious about using the VGA to component cable on two other systems without running them through a converter, but I'm not sure if it's possible. I have an Atari Jaguar with a Catbox (includes VGA out) and a Dreamcast. Is it possible to use the VGA out from the Catbox or from a Dreamcast VGA adapter with a VGA to component adapter, or are both of these scenarios complete pipe dreams?

If anyone out there can answer these questions, I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No need to use the upscaler, it is not needed for the CRT. An RGB to Component cable will not work either, a converter is needed. The Saturn and SNES can output SVideo which looks pretty good. The Genesis will be composite unless you do a mod.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

By definition the TV will not accept 480p or above. That's what standard means.

XRGB isn't likely to do much useful. Being an upscaler.
    Dreamcast VGA just won't work. For that you'd have to downsample 480p, to 480i or 240p.

Most Saturn, Genesis, and SNES models already send RGB to their AV port. But RGB isn't the same data type as component. It still needs to be re-encoded, even if not scaled up or down in resolution and/or sync rate*.

*Sync rate I mean you own 60hz consoles and TV. Most likely 50hz like PAL wouldn't work on that TV either.
    Last edited by theclaw; 08-26-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Lum fan.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So basically I should just utilize the S-video cables for these systems that have them, is that correct?

I knew that using the XRGB on the CRT seemed like too much of a disaster to work, but the variations on VGA, Component, and RGB tend to confuse me. I know that they aren't the same thing, but I was hoping they might be slightly interchangeable.

I guess that means I can't get these systems to display an RGB signal on this TV, too bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

What you want is a SCART to component box that doesn't upscale. It's as close to importing a European TV you'll get.
    These aren't the exact versions I own, but it gives an example one way to wire things up.

Encodes RGB into component. With its original resolution and hz.

Place before the component box, so it can send out the audio lines to where you want.
    Last edited by theclaw; 08-26-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Lum fan.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    So basically I should just utilize the S-video cables for these systems that have them, is that correct?
    Yes, but if you ever decide to hook up a PS2 or Wii to that TV, going with component would be slightly better. Even if the TV only supports 480i, component is still a slightly better connection than S-video, and for PS2, at least, most games don't even support 480p.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    By definition the TV will not accept 480p or above. That's what standard means.

XRGB isn't likely to do much useful. Being an upscaler.
    Dreamcast VGA just won't work. For that you'd have to downsample 480p, to 480i or 240p.

Most Saturn, Genesis, and SNES models already send RGB to their AV port. But RGB isn't the same data type as component. It still needs to be re-encoded, even if not scaled up or down in resolution and/or sync rate*.

*Sync rate I mean you own 60hz consoles and TV. Most likely 50hz like PAL wouldn't work on that TV either.
    Trinitrons are sort of known for often being 50hz friendly. I don't know if this one is, but of all the CRTs out there, this is the brand that would most likely support it