Thread: Help me verify a replacement Sega CDX adapter will work!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help me verify a replacement Sega CDX adapter will work!

I have been trying for months to win a good condition, project Sega CDX unit to tinker with and enjoy. I finally found one, but it is loose. My main stumbling block has been finding a proper AC adapter for it that is inexpensive. The SUP-60 is long discontinued. The original uses:

Input: 120V AC 60Hz 23W
    Output: 9.5V DC 1.5A
    Outer polarity negative, inner positive, yellow plug

Here is the one I found, a $6 laptop charger:
    Input: 100-240V ~1.0-0.6A, 50/60Hz
    Output: 9.5V~2.5A, 24W (not sure if this is 9.5V DC)
    Same Outer polarity negative, inner positive, yellow plug

Search the 'bay for: Asus Eee 700 power
    Seems like a much better solution than the $22 one I found at a retro game shop online (mentioned in a similar thread started by me on this sub-section).

What do you say, pull the trigger and buy one??? I see the volts are the same, not sure on the watts. Not sure if this is also unregulated like the original which needed to be powered to output the proper voltage, or if it is always stuck at 9.5V. Can someone more knowledgeable in AC adapters guide me?

This could help out a lot of new CDX owners...most systems are sold with a Genesis 2 AC adapter which is very underpowered and won't work for long. This one has the same plug, the same volts, the same polarity, more than the spec amps....good? Bad?
    Last edited by ifkz; 08-27-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just use one from a PS2 Slim, I used it and it worked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    Just use one from a PS2 Slim, I used it and it worked.
    Doesn't the PS2 slim adapter output 8.5V instead of 9.5V?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    That's selectable to 9V, nothing is mentioned about 9.5V. I thought these CDX systems were very picky about this, that's why the original adapters are so expensive.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    I have been trying for months to win a good condition, project Sega CDX unit to tinker with and enjoy. I finally found one, but it is loose. My main stumbling block has been finding a proper AC adapter for it that is inexpensive. The SUP-60 is long discontinued. The original uses:

Input: 120V AC 60Hz 23W
    Output: 9.5V DC 1.5A
    Outer polarity negative, inner positive, yellow plug

Here is the one I found, a $6 laptop charger:
    Input: 100-240V ~1.0-0.6A, 50/60Hz
    Output: 9.5V~2.5A, 24W (not sure if this is 9.5V DC)
    Same Outer polarity negative, inner positive, yellow plug

Search the 'bay for: Asus Eee 700 power
    Seems like a much better solution than the $22 one I found at a retro game shop online (mentioned in a similar thread started by me on this sub-section).

What do you say, pull the trigger and buy one??? I see the volts are the same, not sure on the watts. Not sure if this is also unregulated like the original which needed to be powered to output the proper voltage, or if it is always stuck at 9.5V. Can someone more knowledgeable in AC adapters guide me?

This could help out a lot of new CDX owners...most systems are sold with a Genesis 2 AC adapter which is very underpowered and won't work for long. This one has the same plug, the same volts, the same polarity, more than the spec amps....good? Bad?
    I bought one of those, they are very noisy, tons of interference all over the screen, also they are very cheaply made, on my adapter you had to wiggle the AC plug into it at an angle for it to work.
    It was not even worth returning for a refund, considering I had to pay return shipping.

Does anyone have a pic of the inside of the original adapter? It's just a transformer with a diode bridge right? (I just got rid of one a month ago, I should have checked then) If so I doubt it outputs 9.5 exactly, even under load, last time I opened a CDX up to change the caps I looked at the voltage regulators inside and couldn't find any info online, so who knows what voltage tolerance they would have.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks hamburglar, you just saved me $6! But it looks like it is back to square #1 with this quest.

And, gameguy, you are right, the PS2 adapter is set at 8.5V so it is not to the original CDX spec.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Doesn't the PS2 slim adapter output 8.5V instead of 9.5V?

That's selectable to 9V, nothing is mentioned about 9.5V. I thought these CDX systems were very picky about this, that's why the original adapters are so expensive.
    I had to use something VERY similar for the 1st year or so that I had a CDX about 10 years ago and I don't recall having any issues with it. I eventually came across an OEM unit so I picked it up instead, but still, I can't recall any issues or differences between the two. They can be purchased locally at Radioshack, so it may be worth it just to save the headache of shipping cost. Plus, they're really helpful in general even if it ends up not working with the CDX