Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vita firmware 1.80 opens the door for MOST PSN PSOne games ...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Vita firmware 1.80 opens the door for MOST PSN PSOne games ...

http://kotaku.com/5938508/heres-how-...y-on-your-vita

While you can't download them directly from the PSN Store, apparently, [EDIT] MOST of the PSOne games that are on the PSN Store can be transferred over via the PS3 transfer tool*!

Huzzah!

Can't wait to test this later.

*See incompatibility list below.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-28-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Yeah good news after the abysmal SCEA announcement, god I really hate how they handle Vita business here opposed to the EU/JP market.

Anyways its not all sunshine and ponies, here is a list of confirmed incompadable games thus far. Its not a huge list but its got a lot of notables like the Crash, Spyro and Oddworld series.

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
    Arc the Lad III
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    Chrono Cross
    Crash Bandicoot
    Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
    Crash Bandicoot: Warped
    Crash Team Racing
    Final Fantasy V
    Legend Of Mana
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysse
    Oddworld: Abe’s Exodus
    Pocket Fighter
    R-Type Delta
    Spyro The Dragon
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
    Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    Theme Hospital
    Tomba!
    The new update also has a ton of general vita upgrades too and some that aren't mentioned in the patch notes.

-UI can now be set to physical control mode
    -General UI improvements/Upgrades
    -Touchscreen button mapping for PSP games
    -Apparently other stuff relating to Near (don't use it personally)

At the same time though Sony has closed some sort of loophole people were using to enable multiple accounts on one memory card, effectively locking them out of that content permanently it seems. Those who took advantage of this "feature" are understandably pissed. Overall though seems like a pretty good extensive update from what little I've messed around with it so far.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 08-28-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Yeah good news after the abysmal SCEA announcement, god I really hate how they handle Vita business here opposed to the EU/JP market.

Anyways its not all sunshine and ponies, here is a list of confirmed incompadable games thus far. Its not a huge list but its got a lot of notables like the Crash, Spyro and Oddworld series.

The new update also has a ton of general vita upgrades too and some that aren't mentioned in the patch notes.

At the same time though Sony has closed some sort of loophole people were using to enable multiple accounts on one memory card, effectively locking them out of that content permanently it seems. Those who took advantage of this "feature" are understandably pissed. Overall though seems like a pretty good extensive update from what little I've messed around with it so far.
    Ah, good to see that an incompatible list has surfaced already.

Bummed that Crash Team Racing doesn't work, and I'm pretty sure that Pocket Fighter never even had PSP compatibility, it's one of the odd PS3 only PSOne titles.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sweet, d-pad/button menu navigation. Ive truly hated the GUI for this thing for that reason alone.

I have no idea how as I've never done it but I guess I may have to find out how to use that stupid transfer tool. :\

I have Street Fighter Alpha1+2, Sim City 2000, both Medal of Honors, and Hot Shots Golf 2 as PS1 downloads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post

Updated and tested, very bummed that Darkstalkers 3 doesn't transfer at the moment. But the PSP version of that is better anyway, so if I'm really feeling the itch to play some Darkstalkers I'll just get that.

Controller the Vita interface with buttons is good and it keeps my screen clean.

I also notice that the Vita OS now can now pick up Wi-Fi connectivity again after using a PSP game not on the official compatibility list that would previously "take over" the Wi-Fi control and not relinquish it back to the Vita's processes after quitting the game. The Capcom Collections that used Wi-Fi for multiplayer were previously guilty of this. So, major system bug sorted!

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how the rear touch panel works on PSOne games as "L2/R2 and L3/R3" it SEEMS to be ONLY by swiping from the interior to the exterior of the back panel in the top and bottom corner quadrants of the back panel. Interesting, but I hope they allow for an option to make it standard "tap" isntead of a "swipe".

A good update overall! Glad to have Street Fighter Alpha 3, Castlevania SOTN and King of the Fighters 99 and the PSOne Resident Evil trilogy on my system!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Sweet, d-pad/button menu navigation. Ive truly hated the GUI for this thing for that reason alone.

I have no idea how as I've never done it but I guess I may have to find out how to use that stupid transfer tool. :\

I have Street Fighter Alpha1+2, Sim City 2000, both Medal of Honors, and Hot Shots Golf 2 as PS1 downloads.
    Re-download the games on the PS3 using the store, do "background download" so they don't automatically install, leave them in their bubbles, then plug in your Vita. It should automatically recognize it. Go to Transfer Utility, and transfer from PS3 to Vita > applications > Playstation.

I've had issues with selecting and transferring multiple games at once. Occasionally one or two don't transfer correctly or at all. So, if you see one on your list but it doesn't transfer over, do it again by itself.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-28-2012 at 06:30 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*goes to update Vita*

Oh, that's right. Sony handheld batteries go dead when you don't use them for months at a time. Now I have to go find my charger.

They sent me some PSN cards as thanks for participating in a beta program earlier this year, and this is what I've been waiting to use them on. That is, if the screen scaling isn't atrocious. I can't stand playing PSP games on this thing without 1:1 pixel mapping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    *goes to update Vita*

Oh, that's right. Sony handheld batteries go dead when you don't use them for months at a time. Now I have to go find my charger.

They sent me some PSN cards as thanks for participating in a beta program earlier this year, and this is what I've been waiting to use them on. That is, if the screen scaling isn't atrocious. I can't stand playing PSP games on this thing without 1:1 pixel mapping.
    I think it looks really nice.

Like PSP and PS3 PSOne emulation you can pick your scaling method.

Original (small 4:3 screen with full borders)

Normal (4:3 screen scaled to top/bottom of screen)

Zoomed (lots of cropping not sure why you'd want this)

or, Full (stretched)

And you can do bi linear filtering, the OLED is so nice and free from blur I prefer to leave the filtering off.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I wonder why they didn't add touch screen button support for PSX games as well. I don't like using the back touch panel for L2 and R2 because I always hit it on accident. The availability of L2 and R2 at the bottom left and right of the screen would be better than my current set up(select plus left or select plus right.)

I'm not a fan of the select and the start on the Vita, not as bad as it is on the 3DS, worse than it is on pretty much any other portable I've used, I'll probably use the touch screen support for select and start. I might try setting a game up for use with a game just to try it out, but other than select and start, it doesn't seem much of a use on a PSP game unless you can have each touch pad button count as pressing two buttons at once.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-28-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I think it looks really nice.

Like PSP and PS3 PSOne emulation you can pick your scaling method.

Original (small 4:3 screen with full borders)

Normal (4:3 screen scaled to top/bottom of screen)

Zoomed (lots of cropping not sure why you'd want this)

or, Full (stretched)

And you can do bi linear filtering, the OLED is so nice and free from blur I prefer to leave the filtering off.
    where can you change screen size?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Double post

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    where can you change screen size?

Hold the touchscreen and the menu comes up. It's just like pressing the PS button on a PSP during PSX mode. You get most of the options, but it lacks the black level adjustment.

The scaling options do allow for 1:1 pixel mapping, but I was hoping they'd update PSP mode to allow the same thing. The only PSX game I've bought on PSN is Rockman 3, which looks perfectly fine on the Vita's screen.

Out of curiosity, does the PSN version of FFVII fix the audio issues? I tried it on PSP converted from disc and on PS3 and both had issues with the sound effects. Does FFIV flicker like it does on PS3?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Out of curiosity, does the PSN version of FFVII fix the audio issues? I tried it on PSP converted from disc and on PS3 and both had issues with the sound effects. Does FFIV flicker like it does on PS3?
    I don't know any of the answers your asking for, but if you don't own it and don't mind digital games, I'd recommend Final Fantasy 4 Complete Collection.

The game does such an amazing job staying true to Final Fantasy 4. From the dungeon design, to the enemies, to even the music. The detail put into staying true to the original is amazing. The music is the same as the DS version though, so if you've played that you'll know what the music is, but being a PSP game it probably streams at higher quality. You can use the SNES version music also if you didn't want to use the PSP music. Can be changed in the options at any time.

One cool thing is that the game has all the content from every version of Final Fantasy 4 except for the DS version that lets you teach characters different abilities. So all that additional GBA content with the extra characters and their ultimate weapon dungeons, plus the extra dungeon on the moon is all there.

It's got a 40 minute long epilogue. Don't let the Square Enix quote of "a new 10 hour epilogue that links the After Years and FF4 story" fool you. 10 hours is complete bullshit. Finally, it also includes After Years with PSP graphics and music, which at 30 minutes to an hour per episode, the first nine episodes are honestly pretty hit and miss. Some are good, some bad. Episode 10 is where it's at though. The last dungeon is a long dungeon, more than 10 hours, but the thing about it is that the dungeon is fairly well designed. It's not like the FF1 and 2 dungeons where you're going through boring random dungeons where the treasure chests are pointless, no. The dungeon floors aren't randomized, the dungeon itself is well designed, and treasure chests are actually worthwhile. As you progress through the dungeon you'll continue getting slightly better equipment as well as fight stronger enemies. I didn't play After Years after finishing the game, although it does ask if you'd like to save, and states that you can do some new stuff, so maybe there's an extra dungeon or a boss, or something I might have skipped.

Now the only problem with the game, is that it uses the enemy stats from the GBA version. Once you return to Baron, just like the GBA version, everything is fine, but until then, the enemies have lower speed. You'll be going atleast two turns before the enemies go one. The original FF4 is easy enough up until you reach Baron again, so it's not a major problem, but the only fault the game has in my opinion.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-28-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not really interested in playing FFIV again, I'm just concerned that Sony is selling games that don't work 100% properly with their emulators. I've noticed similar sound effect distortion in other PSX emulators, but I've yet to hear whether these issues were patched in PSN releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Frankie Says Relax: Good tip there, but unfortunately I realized something not long after both our posts, it won't work anyway. I have 2 PSN accounts and the fools at Sony really limited up how the Vita handles accounts. It's not like PS3 and PSP where you can just login/out off that XMB bar so I'm kind of screwed. I didn't understand as Sony made it translucently clear that your account name you're stuck with, can't change, and can't transfer stuff away from when I first got the PSP years ago(gone now.) I just used my old club.nintendo.com / nintendo.com login name which was noajeff which I hate and don't even use anymore as I changed it. So all my stupid PSN games and PS1-PSN games are stuck on that and Sony refuses to change it so I had to make another account. So, I'm stuck. It's not a big deal as it's just those six games but still it's annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Frankie Says Relax: Good tip there, but unfortunately I realized something not long after both our posts, it won't work anyway. I have 2 PSN accounts and the fools at Sony really limited up how the Vita handles accounts. It's not like PS3 and PSP where you can just login/out off that XMB bar so I'm kind of screwed. I didn't understand as Sony made it translucently clear that your account name you're stuck with, can't change, and can't transfer stuff away from when I first got the PSP years ago(gone now.) I just used my old club.nintendo.com / nintendo.com login name which was noajeff which I hate and don't even use anymore as I changed it. So all my stupid PSN games and PS1-PSN games are stuck on that and Sony refuses to change it so I had to make another account. So, I'm stuck. It's not a big deal as it's just those six games but still it's annoying.
    Can you no longer use a 2nd Vita memory card to restart the system and switch between accounts? I know it's not optimal, but I think that's still an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My biggest fear is that the best games for Vita will end up being ones released 20 years ago.
    Last edited by RCM; 08-29-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Can you no longer use a 2nd Vita memory card to restart the system and switch between accounts? I know it's not optimal, but I think that's still an option.
    Not that I'm aware of. The system seems to store the data within itself. I got mine used a few months ago from a military contractor who bought it to stop boredom but was so busy it got touched maybe 6hours. He had some crude/lame penis joke PSN name on there and it wouldn't come off even when I did what you're supposed to so I ended up just brute force deep restarting the thing back to factory specs as it wouldn't go away and formatted the card too as it appears to back that data to it as well. The Vita only allows for 1 system 1 account, the PSP like PS3 allowed for multiple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Not that I'm aware of. The system seems to store the data within itself. I got mine used a few months ago from a military contractor who bought it to stop boredom but was so busy it got touched maybe 6hours. He had some crude/lame penis joke PSN name on there and it wouldn't come off even when I did what you're supposed to so I ended up just brute force deep restarting the thing back to factory specs as it wouldn't go away and formatted the card too as it appears to back that data to it as well. The Vita only allows for 1 system 1 account, the PSP like PS3 allowed for multiple.
    While there is no quick switch option, you can access another account with the Vita.

The catch is you'll need 2 Vita memory cards and you'll need to do a factory reset with system deactivation each time you want to switch back/forth.

Again, not optimal, but doable.

The "deactivation" portion should get rid of the silly system name as well.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/ps-vita/How...ayStation_Vita

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

List of titles officially supported via download updated today (and without additional firmware update)

http://t.co/wvd8ypUi

Tomba and Ridge Racer 4 are personal favorites.

Available on 8/30 (now!) on the PS Vita Store

Alundra

Arc the Lad II

Championship Bass

Extreme Pinball

Grandia

Hi Octane: The Track Fights Back

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

Magic Carpet

Medal of Honor

Medal of Honor Underground

Nuclear Strike

Oddworld Abe's Exxodus

Oddworld Abe's Oddysee

Populous-The Beginning

R4 Ridge Racer Type 4

Rayman 1

Rayman2

SimCity 2000

Soviet Strike

Tekken

Tekken 2

Theme Hospital

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

Tomba!

Vanguard Bandits

Wing Commander IV

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I might have to purchase Tomba, i never did finish it on the PS1, but right now i'm playing a perfect run on Final Fantasy 8 again (have to do it on every system it's playable on)
    I really love how the ps1 classics look on the VITA, really gives me the option to play through some games again and try ones i missed back in the day (like legend of dragoon).