Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best home version of Mortal Kombat?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's the best home version of Mortal Kombat?

I know that various versions of Mortal Kombat came out for the Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and other systems. Which version would be considered the "clear cut best version of MK at home".

I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I saw a old review of the first game on the Sega Genesis, and it brought back memories of when the game first came out on the Genesis and all the hype about the blood and every thing.

Also, why we are on this topic, what is the definitive home version of Street Fighter II?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Certainly not the snes version, it sucked big time. Perhaps the Saturn version is? I haven't played it before.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default x

My cote for the best Mortal Kombat would be Mortal Kombat trilogy for the Nintendo 64. The playstation version was good to but had terrible load times.
    I would vote Street fighter alpha3 as the best overall version of streetfighter 2.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

SNES: Mortal Kombat II, hands down.

Street Fighter 2? Hrm, depends on what version. Certainly not that craptastic atrocity that was Championship edition on Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I HAD to choose a MK game....MK 2 for the SNES. I do own this, but I really don't like it. Picked it up used complete for $2.50 years back and I didn't like it then either. It's still seen as the best in the series.

Street Fighter II? I'd say Tournament Edition (arcade). But for consoles, probably Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES. I like the character colors for the first SNES game...but it was lacking in characters.

I'm not a tourney folk, though.

Only ones I REALLY like are Street Fighter II: Tournament Edition, Killer Instinct, and WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game. Of course, all arcade.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well... As for MK1, Sega CD. Hand's down. But for the series? I've always been fond of MKA on GBA.

Just kidding about the MKA.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

For MK1 probably the Genesis or the Sega CD version (depends how much a fan of load times between matches and between Shang's transformations you are.)

For MK2, SNES, hands down.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by atomicthumbs
    Well... As for MK1, Sega CD. Hand's down.
    Yer kiddin'.

Those LOAD TIMES... ack! And how about when you play Shang Tsung and use the "morph" feature... it actually stops in the middle of a battle to LOAD the new character! Add to this the fact that you have wait about 8 seconds between every round and to people like me who NEED that fluidity between rounds (I call it "momentum"), the Sega CD version is the WORST!

I do like the built-in music on the Sega CD version, and even the little movies that are added in, but these bells and whistles don't compensate for what you lose in terms of gameplay, IMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Supergun baby!
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If by you're looking for the best home console version of the first MK game, then the Genesis version is the one you're after. Plays great, authentic fatalities, blood, etc. (remember: DULLARD) Only down side is the limited color palette.

If you're looking for the best home console version of ANY MK game, then the runaway winner is MKII on the SNES. Super accurate port in every way.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What about MKII for the 32X? Graphically it looks a lot better than the SNES one. I'd think it was pretty fast too and all.. with that blast processing. BAM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    What about MKII for the 32X? Graphically it looks a lot better than the SNES one. I'd think it was pretty fast too and all.. with that blast processing. BAM
    IMO, the SNES version is vastly superior to the 32X version in every way.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis has the worst video output of all the 16 bitters. Anything out of it looks like ass. AND no S-Video support! Ugh.. Snes had the best fighter ports... most of the time anyway. MK1 was the start of Kiddie Nintendo that sent them down the road to lameness they are at today.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for the original Mortal Kombat id have to say the Sega CD version. as i remember it, it was closest to the arcade version at the time.
    Live Longer, Drive a DeLorean

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang93
    for the original Mortal Kombat id have to say the Sega CD version. as i remember it, it was closest to the arcade version at the time.
    Genesis cart version is better - the gameplay and graphics are identical to the CD version and there are no loadtimes.

The Sega CD version is the Worst. Use. Of CD gaming. Ever. It's the Genesis cart version with nicer sound and a FMV of the commercial with the dude yelling "Mortal Kombat!" in the streets. Avoid the Sega CD version.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

It's funny that two people thought the Sega CD version was GOOD, let alone the best! How on earth could anyone get around those load times (see my previous diatribe) and Shang Tsung issues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

The graphics aren't exactly identical. Sega CD had background animation in some levels that the Genesis version didn't, plus the pit stage had all those heads and bodies on the spikes. I think Shang Tsung also had a better sound effect for his fireballs on CD compared to Genesis. The cd also had like 4 remixes of MK music at the end, the kind that was on the movie soundtrack. Obviously all this is just trivial compared to gameplay and load times but they are interesting nonetheless.

I thought the 32X was slightly better looking than the SNES. The -alties weren't written as small, the acid stage wasn't so cluttered. The pit fatality animation wasn't as choppy. The 32X had a better opening title sequence plus the story intro with pictures. Soundwise it would go to SNES. I'm a bit partial to Genesis 6-button control so I prefer the Genesis style for gameplay.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    The Genesis has the worst video output of all the 16 bitters. Anything out of it looks like ass. AND no S-Video support! Ugh.. Snes had the best fighter ports... most of the time anyway. MK1 was the start of Kiddie Nintendo that sent them down the road to lameness they are at today.

Dude, it sounds like you really need a RGB monitor and a RGB cable for the Sega Genesis. Once you see the Genesis in RGB on a RGB monitor, your attitude about it's video quality will take a 180 degree turn.

When I play a game like Gunstar Heroes or Sonic 2 on my RGB monitor in RGB, it looks simply stunning!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedon

Dude, it sounds like you really need a RGB monitor and a RGB cable for the Sega Genesis. Once you see the Genesis in RGB on a RGB monitor, your attitude about it's video quality will take a 180 degree turn.

When I play a game like Gunstar Heroes or Sonic 2 on my RGB monitor in RGB, it looks simply stunning!
    RGB monitor... lets take a look at this.. RGB monitor=not something joe-gamer can get in over 17 inches

Post the hack you use to get RGB out of a Genesis.. I have not seen this post here because 1) No one has an RGB monitor over 14 inches and 2) Sega was so lame they didn't include it at the cable level. S-Video was the name of the game in 1990 and Sega ignored it.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO the SNES port of MKII it's the best and it's more easier to me to make all the move with the SNES pad, i never had any success with the Genesis.

Also like The Maninal said, Killer Instinct (arcade) and WWF Wrestlemania Arcade (arcade) are good too. But like MKII, i'm much better on the console port.

Street Figther II Turbo (SNES) it's not bad also.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.