Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supaboy v2(July new version) small write-up on what it can handle, SA1 games work w/swap trick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Supaboy v2(July new version) small write-up on what it can handle, SA1 games work w/swap trick

I wrote this up initially at NintendoAge but given the huge thread I saw here based mostly on the original unit which was fairly flawed I decided to share this here just so people could see how the system handles without traveling elsewhere to do so. I hope that's not a problem.

I got this on the 27th, and here's a general review of some basic tests and impressions I've had so far. Also included is info how on this version to make SA1 games (both Kirbys and Mario RPG) work with a swap trick. As I figure out more I will revise this and if you have questions or comments leave them in the thread and I'll answer what I can. I have around 80 SNES titles so if you need one looked at I may have it.

Battery Life/Charge: I charged it in around 3hours, have not discharged yet

Game Compatibility: (Youtube Proof of functionality) http://www.youtube.com/user/templeofd00m?feature=mhee
    Working: General, DSP1, FX(Mario Chip1 and GSU-1), FX2 (DOOM), CX4, and SA1**
    Not Working: SDD1(Street Fighter Alpha 2, graphical errors) and FX2 Yoshi's Island (garbled graphics, freezes)

D-Pad: Solid, but has the slight issue that also the RDP has, if you smash the dpad down in the center it causes weird behavior in some titles, like Pocky and Rocky makes them move upwards, but if you stick to the outside of the pad it's responsive equally in all directions. Other buttons are solid. Also I think the reset on this(no super powerpak) is solid as long as you hold the button down.

Sound/Audio: Only tested out of the system itself, and I've fired up 10-12 games, about 1/2 or more first party and they sound right, nothing is muffled. The scratchy speaker issue of the original version I don't hear it. I've put this up to maximum and listened to a variety of samples from the deep strings in the DOOM game to the light bongo-y like audio of DKC3 and the soft sounds of Kirby's Dream Land 3. Everything sounds crisp and clear, no fuzz, no scratch even on max volume on the handheld.

Screen Quality: Seems quite solid, the only issue is if you hold the unit where the screen faced up and away from you it will fade, but any other extreme angle to the side doesn't do it, and straight ahead is nice. The visuals are fairly sharp but I guess like the Nomad or Turbo Express your mileage may vary with a few games that have small print as it may not scale to where it's as easily readable on a larger screen as intended but it's not a problem either. It's sharp, clean, crisp and most of all smooth unlike seeing these old games on a big LCD screen where they range from super sharp to muddy or somewhere in the middle.

Jacked into the TV:
    This seems to work extreme well from the little test I have done so far. I used DKC3 again for this one to check it out against playing it portably. The A/V cable seems to be of a pretty solid quality and pops into the top of the system. When it is in there the system still uses the LCD which seems fairly pointless because it disables the systems controls, you must use an external game pad. I did use one and the handling on it is 1:1 with a real SNES so if the possible issue I mentioned with the dpad is a problem, this takes care of it. The audio and the visuals going through the unit's tv cable is solid, enough said. It looked and sounded just the same as my snes and mini snes on my 26" Panasonic Viera LCD tv (about 5-6years old now.)

System Build Quality: Now I never had the original but I heard it felt a little thin and light. To me this one is not. It seems firm to me. I've given it a good squeeze and a little twist here and there and didn't feel any give. The controller ports are very solid and don't rattle or come loose on your game pads. All the buttons feel natural, not 'off', mushy, cheap or flimsy. Just that d-pad issue I mentioned before which I'm going to look into. The only real issue is the dumb LED button on bottom in green, it's always green, it's off when the system is on, it stays green when you charge it, then it's off when full. You get NO warning I'm told when it dies other than your audio and visuals start to get rough and wobbly.

Here's an expansion of the list of games I've tested and the SA1 I double starred for a reason.
    -Ninja Warriors
    -Super Valis IV
    -Pocky & Rocky
    -Earthbound
    -Mega Man X3(CX4)
    -DOOM(FX2)
    -Starfox(FX1)
    -Donkey Kong Country 3
    -Super Mario RPG(SA1)
    -Kirby Super Star(SA1)
    -Kirby's Dream Land 3(SA1)
    -Unique pirate 7in1 cart I have, fired up menu ok and played Super Turrican and Lion King alright.

**SA1 Game Swap Trick:
    The chip itself when designed by Nintendo also worked as a lockout chip, think of it as a devious evil younger brother prick of the NES-10 on NES carts. It basically checks for legit hardware and if not, the games won't fire up. Sucky right?
    1) Boot any game, even other chipped titles like Starfox.
    2) Once loaded press and HOLD the reset button.
    3) Pull the game out and place Mario RPG, Kirby's Dreamland 3 or Kirby Super Star in the slot.
    4) Release the reset button.
    5) Game boots have fun.

As it stands, the only two games with issues are SDD1 Street Fighter Alpha2, it gets lines through the screen as it's not decompressing the data right and Yoshi's Island which just glitches visually and gets stuck. I obviously have not tested anything I don't own nor have I tested Japanese stuff. I don't have Top Gear 3000 which uses a chip too so I have no clue about that either. I also did not test out the Super Gameboy, there's a video online already proving that one works out of the box.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Nice writeup! Nice review!

The "swap trick" is very welcome info!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great review...crap product.

I've seen enough of the Supaboy to know it's a piece of junk. All this chinese made stuff is crap. But you gotta admire Hyperkin and their "revision" bullsh*t. They sure do have this scam down to a science.

thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know what, your 'opinion' isn't much valued here. If you can't contribute something of actual value, keep it to yourself. Considering I keep poking games into it and so far only 2 have failed I wouldn't call that 'crap' just not 100% accurate is all but damn near it. Fine, if you don't like clones, good, but to call this thing a piece of shit is a bold faced lie. The original version had some issues, many more than this one and they did considerable upgrades to make the unit work much better than the original release.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    **SA1 Game Swap Trick:[/B] The chip itself when designed by Nintendo also worked as a lockout chip, think of it as a devious evil younger brother prick of the NES-10 on NES carts. It basically checks for legit hardware and if not, the games won't fire up. Sucky right?
    1) Boot any game, even other chipped titles like Starfox.
    2) Once loaded press and HOLD the reset button.
    3) Pull the game out and place Mario RPG, Kirby's Dreamland 3 or Kirby Super Star in the slot.
    4) Release the reset button.
    5) Game boots have fun.
    One thing I'd be curious to know is if this swap trick works with other Super Famiclones and with original Super NESes with disabled lockout chips. Gonna have to find myself an SA1 game that actually checks for a lockout chip inside the console and give this a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

SNES lockout chip? Last I heard it's only lockout on the system were those annoying easily removed plastic tabs. Instead Nintendo used software lockouts by having checksums needing to be validated where the cart checks the hardware to make sure it's right and if not kicks back a piracy screen or in the case of Earthbound screws with you all throughout then wipes the save on the last boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

SNES and N64 share region code between US/Japan/Korea.

PAL games however will not boot if inserted normally. They use a different lockout chip.
    In addition some PAL SNES games halt upon detecting 60hz mode, those still won't play with lockout alone broken.
    Lum fan.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Supaboy v2(July new version) small write-up on what it can handle, SA1 games work w/swap trick

Would you say it's better than the FC 16 Go?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES lockout chip? Last I heard it's only lockout on the system were those annoying easily removed plastic tabs.
    That's only part of the lockout. The tabs are there just to prevent insertion of European and Japanese cartridges, however, if you were to attempt to use a European Super NES cartridge in a North American Super NES or a Super Famicom, the game will not load due to the lockout chip in the cartridge and that of the console not matching. European consoles and cartridges use different lockout chips than North American and Japanese consoles.

Instead Nintendo used software lockouts by having checksums needing to be validated where the cart checks the hardware to make sure it's right and if not kicks back a piracy screen or in the case of Earthbound screws with you all throughout then wipes the save on the last boss.
    What you're thinking of is copy protection. That example you gave is done so as to prevent the use of games through copier units, not to lock out a game from a certain region. Sure, there are software lockouts, but that's typically used to check if the game is running on a PAL or NTSC Super NES.

Super Mario RPG, however, actually checks for a working lockout chip inside the console, which clones lack. Software revision 1.0 doesn't do this, but the later software revisions do. I actually just picked up one such revision yesterday (a Japanese version) and decided to give your little trick a go on 4 different Famiclones (not the SupaBoy as I don't have one): RetroDuo v2.0, FC Twin, FC3 Plus Version 1 and FC3 Plus Version 2, and the trick didn't work on any of them. Either it's something that can only be done on the SupaBoy or my copy of Super Mario RPG has more rigorous checking for the lockout chip than yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Agrreed!

You know what, your 'opinion' isn't much valued here. If you can't contribute something of actual value, keep it to yourself. Considering I keep poking games into it and so far only 2 have failed I wouldn't call that 'crap' just not 100% accurate is all but damn near it. Fine, if you don't like clones, good, but to call this thing a piece of shit is a bold faced lie. The original version had some issues, many more than this one and they did considerable upgrades to make the unit work much better than the original release.
    Exactly ! HOLY CRAP MyTurnToPlay are you in such dire need of attention? I highly doubt there is a single person on this board that does not know your position on these products but seriously buddy GET A GRIP! It's pretty bad when I saw the title of this thread I thought "Well, guess it wont be long before MyTurnToPlay goes into his anti - Supaboy rant", might I suggest you get over it? Move on or simply STFU?

WE GET IT ALREADY, YOU NO LIKE, NOBODY CARES DUDE. Your free to hate and never support such products but really, time to grow up now and stop the ranting about it. I will be honest, after my personal experiences with a Retron3 and FC mobile II I to regret ever buying them, I am done with clones, I certainly would not recommend them if asked and even recently bought a couple original NES with the Blinking LED issue because I would rather make the attempt to fix those then bother with another new clone ever again but do you see me tracking down any thread or post and making any excuse to mention my hate for the Retron3 or FC mobile? No because I have better things to do then be an annoying TROLL about it, obviously you don't. It was cute at first but at this point man....wow.....get over it....looking at your history of posts one would conclude there is something "not right" with you, obsessed much? Looking a bit pathetic at this point.......please move on and find something, ANYTHING more worthy to post about....
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 09-01-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hrechkaness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although you are experiencing 2 games failing, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the same for everyone else. I am having no issues with Yoshi's Island on my Supaboy v2 or with Super Mario RPG. It may be possible that I have a specific version that works with the Supaboy since both those games released multiple versions. I was initially having problems with Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island but found out my battery wasn't charged enough to run the games. Guess I should have tested the system plugged in first. I do think Hyperkin is lying about the supposed 5 hour battery life for the July release Supaboy because I just tested mine last night, fully charged, and it lasted inbetween 2-2.5 hours long. I also tested it on a simple game like NHL 94 and let the game sit on the intro screen so there is no reason the battery shouldn't last the span of 5 hours. Have you tested out the Supaboy with headphone jacks? I find that I still get some buzzing audio feedback when I listen to the games through headphones. Other then the battery life and headphone feedback I absolutely love this system.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    Exactly ! HOLY CRAP MyTurnToPlay are you in such dire need of attention? ......

.....WE GET IT ALREADY, YOU NO LIKE, NOBODY CARES DUDE. Your free to hate and never support such products but really, time to grow up now and stop the ranting about it.
    My experience is most people who cry the loudest about clones are kids. They start to believe that all clones are bad, and attack everything that comes out, cuz the internet told them so!!! I personally love to see companies try to make a good clone. It adds value to the gaming community. I was sad the the Atari VCS portable never got released. I have to think some of this consumer bashing may have helped stop a few cool products.

I have never understood the blind hatred toward clones. Sure, in most cases they are not as "perfect" as the original, but they fill a need. For all the systems that didn't get a portable release, I love the option of buying a clone.

Before all you kids start blindly bashing clones, think about the affect it has on future releases. I want to have options and see cool new products come to market.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    My experience is most people who cry the loudest about clones are kids. They start to believe that all clones are bad, and attack everything that comes out, cuz the internet told them so!!! I personally love to see companies try to make a good clone. It adds value to the gaming community. I was sad the the Atari VCS portable never got released. I have to think some of this consumer bashing may have helped stop a few cool products.

I have never understood the blind hatred toward clones. Sure, in most cases they are not as "perfect" as the original, but they fill a need. For all the systems that didn't get a portable release, I love the option of buying a clone.

Before all you kids start blindly bashing clones, think about the affect it has on future releases. I want to have options and see cool new products come to market.
    blah blah blah...It's a $5 Chinese piece of crap that they are selling for $80. They've lied about compatibility...and they've lied about the battery life. The scam artists at Hyperkin claim you should get ~5hrs with version 2, but guess what...it's still the crappy 2.5 it was before. Dpad sucks. It has mono sound which sucks. Battery life sucks. The product basically sucks. But you Hyperkin clone lovers don't seem to get these scam artists so let me make it simple for you.

Question: What do you call someone who lies?
    Answer: A liar.

thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wha!!! Wha!!! Wha!!!
    What do you call someone who just bitches all the time...............A Bitch!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Wha!!! Wha!!! Wha!!!
    What do you call someone who just bitches all the time...............A Bitch!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Semiotical

Thanks for the writeup Tanooki.

Since it seems that the Supaboy V.2 is a step up over the original hardware, could any of you fine gentlemen tell how to know I'm buying the V.2 version at retail or online opposed to the original version?

And to MyTurnToPlay - I think we all have to admit that the original SNES hardware is superior; however, clone systems fill a void that is expanding at a fast rate. Original systems aren't going to last forever, and unless Nintendo up and decides to re-manufacture brand new NES/SNES consoles, then we need to push clone manufacturers into making the most accurate reproductions possible. This of course takes time. And it seems that these products are generally getting better. I myself find it most practical to use a clone system. Sure they have their faults (DAMN YOU CASTLEVANIA III), but it's better than not being able to enjoy these games at all.

Anyway, if anyone can answer my question, I'll be very grateful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Original Super Nintendo's are hardly ticking time bombs. And I'd put my money into a 20 year old Super Nintendo outlasting the latest 2012 SuperNes clone any day of the week. These things are extremely cheaply built and if you're going in with the expectation that a company like this is going to one day supply you with a console that you can reliably use for decades to come, you're terribly mistaken.

These things aren't important from a preservation point of view. Their functions are to serve as cheap consoles for the average adult that grew up playing these things that now wants to relive memories (Likely for a limited time it usually turns out) but doesn't want to hunt multiple used consoles down or have multiple consoles hooked up at the same time to accomplish it.

And the other areas of secondary importance are being able to accomplish things never possible in the past to fill niches that original hardware doesn't, such as these handheld SuperNes based systems. And lastly to serve as curiousities to the crowds at places like here that enjoy checking them out to see what was done right and what areas were lacking but return right back to their original hardware when it comes time to actually play a game for entertainment's sake.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-09-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have no illusions a chinese knockoff isn't going to last as long as the SNES I've had for 21 years or the SNES-2 I have either, but that said I got it specifically and only because it was a good portable to use when it's not good for me to be tying up a tv. I can use it on the couch w/out the TV being sucked up, or in bed at night if I want to get a game of Star Fox in or something. I know they're not built as solidly as the original, but the original isn't portable so I made the choice to fore go Nintendo level quality for convenience.

The more I see written up on this since I bothered making that post is that the v2's are semi-temperamental or there just isn't enough research into the version of X game being stuffed into the system.

When I first tried out my SA1 games they all worked, but after the first shot or second at most, they quit and refused to run since w/out using the swap trick I stumbled on that worked for me. FX games worked fine, FX DOOM did, and going A-Z Yoshi being the last thing I ran failed and failed oddly every time from initial failure to scrambling early on to later on, to the latest of getting 'in game' on 1-1 to having it choke as soon as you bash a block. I didn't check which Yoshi I have, so perhaps it's a 1.0 vs 1.1 thing here too.

SEMI: To know if you get the newer model (v2) of Supaboy, it comes in a black box. The original was a white box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you tried with the system plugged into an external power source?
    Some things may only work with MAXIMUM POWER!!!
    That might explain why they only worked initially.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Have you tried with the system plugged into an external power source?
    Some things may only work with MAXIMUM POWER!!!
    That might explain why they only worked initially.
    That's some excellent advice, nice catch!