Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Well it does save a hook up on your TV, which can be useful if you have a lot of things.
    That is true, but almost everything else you have hooked up excluding your cable box should play dvds. I don't know anyone that only owns a Wii when it comes to gaming consoles. Well anyone that bought it that has an actual interest in gaming. Also there are very good switching systems available for people that go hardcore with their setups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am rather hoping the Wii U uses the same component cables as the Wii. That will save me an HDMI hook-up.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I am rather hoping the Wii U uses the same component cables as the Wii. That will save me an HDMI hook-up.
    It does. They said it supports all the wii hookups and accessories.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

NO console needs to play DVD's anymore. Maybe BluRay at one point, but I can't see non-Sony Consoles using that medium.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You forgot two bullet points.

Plays Wii games in 480i so they'll look like crap on your HDTV.
    Doesn't play DVDs.
    I really doubt that they're going to prevent people from playing Wii software in 480p, a setting that most quality releases on the Wii supported (and a setting that can go a long way towards making picture quality acceptable on a HDTV thanks to taking away half the work the internal scaling chip would otherwise have to do).

And I think the inability to play DVD's isn't exactly a major one these days. The format has declined in importance and households tend to already have plenty of devices that can play DVD's. And if you're a Digital Press user that plays games from the past 10 years, you likely already have multiple devices hooked up to the television that you'd play videogames on that can already play DVD's.

It's too bad that the WiiU can't do some image processing to make Wii software more acceptable looking on HDTV's with poor quality scaling chips, but I'm almost glad it doesn't. I'd be very disappointed that GameCube compatibility was removed if the WiiU could get Wii software looking significantly better on an HDTV (Something approaching the picture quality of the Dolphin emulator).

Hopefully we will at least get some HD remakes from them. I'd love to see Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword be bundled together in a HD collection. Same with Super Mario Sunshine and the two Galaxies released and the Metroid Prime Trilogy. All seem like prime material for Sony styled HD collections.

Screenshots of these from the Dolphin emulator look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    NO console needs to play DVD's anymore. Maybe BluRay at one point, but I can't see non-Sony Consoles using that medium.
    Blu-Ray is no more Sony than DVD was and every game console released since the Playstation 2 hit the market has utilized the format in one way or another.

There's no way that the Xbox 720 isn't going to utilize the Blu-Ray format. And there's plenty of rumors that the WiiU is utilizing it as well, albeit without a Blu-Ray Disc Association license that would be necessary to enable video playback (Just like the GameCube and Wii that utilized DVD technology licensed directly from DVD Forum partners but without paying for the DVD Forum license necessary to enable DVD video playback). And the disc size medium certainly is anecdotal evidence of that since single layer 25 gig optical media matches Blu-Ray precisely and nothing else out there.

I do see the occasional rumor that WiiU is utilizing HD-DVD derived technology. But gamer's all mistakingly associated that with Microsoft, Nintendo's other competitor. So the same argument comes into play there.

All these optical disc formats of the past 30 years have relied on industrial consortiums that were created to fund research, market, produce, and then handle the format once it has reached consumer's hands. And most importantly for the health of each of these formats, they've gone this route for the formats to have independence precisely so another company can utilize the format (And as such help every partner involved in the format) without being deterred since a competitor has a significant stake in it. CD, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and so on all belonged to dozens of stakeholders with no one firm controlling them. And then each has many dozens of more lesser partners that held stakes.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-17-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry for the double post.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It's too bad that the WiiU can't do some image processing to make Wii software more acceptable looking on HDTV's with poor quality scaling chips, but I'm almost glad it doesn't. I'd be very disappointed that GameCube compatibility was removed if the WiiU could get Wii software looking significantly better on an HDTV (Something approaching the picture quality of the Dolphin emulator).
    They've stated it wouldn't play Gamecube games. I don't really care about the Gamecube backwards compatibility though since I still own my Gamecube and I don't own a Wii, but the lack of upscaling is pretty bs. After seeing upscaled gameplay of PS2 games, you don't want to play it on an SDTV anymore, and on 42" or larger HDTV it just looks like crap(washed out colors, etc.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-15-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So today I went and preordered a Wii U. Well two of them actually. However, this has nothing to do with me being sold by anything Nintendo has done. While I think they did a good job with their conference on Thursday(much better than they've done for the past two E3's) and this system looks to be a much better gaming system than the Wii was, I still don't see anything that would make this a launch day purchase for me. Zombi U is the only game shown so far that I have any interest in.

So why preorder? It's all about the money. Seeing as this is the first next gen system and that it's launching during the holidays it's all but guaranteed to be sold out in the US, Japan and possibly UK till atleast the end of the year. In the US you probably won't be able to just walk into a store at anythime and buy one until atleast February of next year. So I'm going to avoid all of that. Interestingly enough this will be the very first system I have ever purchased at launch. But again, it's all about the money. I will eventually get one for myself but not until Zombi U isn't the only thing the system offers that I'm interested in.

I'm still alittle confused why Nintendo didn't include Nintendoland in the basic version. One of the things Wii Sports did so well for the Wii was perfectly convey what the system was designed for so even the casual gamers got it. But with the casual fans much more likely to pick up the basic Wii U bundle they will probably be alittle more confused than the rest of us as to the advantages of the Wii U without a pack-in game equal to Wii Sports for the Wii. But despite that the system is still going to sell faster than 99 cents a gallon gas and we will be privy to many disturbing stories of people getting robbed/beaten/shanked for systems thru out the holidays.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 09-15-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo Land not being a pack-in on the basic SKU confuses me as well after the success Wii Sports brought to them on the Wii. I really didn't think there was any chance of any WiiU bundle not having a pack-in game.

About all I can conclude with this is that they recognize that Nintendo Land is no Wii Sports. So they're gaining more by including it in the premium bundle to urge people to spend the additional $50 at launch at a time when nobody in the gaming public is very familiar with it and people are optimisic about it than they would gain by including it in every bundle they're going to be selling the next couple of years.

I fully expect Nintendo Land to quickly gain a reputation of just being a cut above things like Wii Play. the exact opposite of Wii Sports. So might as well use it as a carrot now to lead people to spend $50 more at launch since nobody is going to want it come January if my guess is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    They've stated it wouldn't play Gamecube games.
    A fact that my post acknowledges.

What I stated is that I'm almost glad the WiiU will have zero visual enhancement for Wii software since if it could get Wii software looking like something approaching what the Dolphin emulator can do, the fact that it can't play GameCube software would really bother me.

But since it doesn't, I'm not missing out on anything where missing GameCube functionality is concerned.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-15-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that Nintendoland should have been packed in both versions. It is complete bullshit that it is not included with the basic package, instead selling separately for $59! Nintendo is basically forcing everyone to buy the black deluxe model. I don't want black, but I also don't want to pay a premium just to have white.

That combined with their being literally only one other game I would buy within the next year (NSMB), I am forced to pass for now. I was really looking forward to this, too. I guess I should have expected it. I only own eight Wii games over the span of four years. That's not worth $350 to me, and I pretty much have money to burn. It's just a terrible value.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Let's face it. Many of us will say we aren't going to get it, but we will anyway. I say the thing has a good chance of being successful because it's the first new console to be released in six years, plus nobody else is launching their consoles around the same time. It's a launch in a vacuum.

There's been a lot of talk that the casual crowd is moving onto smart phones, but it seems very speculative. Don't underestimate Nintendo's ability to market to the casual audience. For the Wii, they spent money to target "blog mothers," showed commercials with women and men of all races playing together, and had shortages that helped create news stories. I expect them to do the same strategy this time. They aren't going to target "hardcore" people like us, because most of us are going to buy it anyway.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I think you have to ask a simple question. WHY should I buy system XYZ? Will 1st party Nintendo games answer that? Yes for Nintendo loyalists, no for everyone else. Let's face it, Gamecube, DS, and Wii had great 1st party games, but they didn't sell those consoles on their own. Will the U pad or whatever it's called? My feeling is no. Again I think it's a novelty in the wrong sense. Whereas the Wiimotes were fun physically, you can't do the same stuff with this thing. It's not a "toy." I think Nintendo, or frankly any other system maker, should have tried to make something available for tablets people already own. Now Apple and Google may have refused, but I think that would have made more sense. So my feeling is there isn't enough good, new reasons, to believe this system will hit a home run right out of the gate.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    So my feeling is there isn't enough good, new reasons, to believe this system will hit a home run right out of the gate.
    I'm not saying it's an awesome system or anything but do you really think it's not going to sell out of it's initial shipments during the holidays? To me a total sell out would be considered a homerun out of the gate. But launch=first inning. It's those later innings that aren't so certain.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In the early days of the Wii, Nintendo wanted the Classic Controller to be used solely with the Virtual Console. As such, at least one game (Metal Slug Anthology) had GameCube controller support but not Classic Controller support. I imagine it's not unique and that there were a handful of other examples of games that got caught in that early restriction or supported only the GameCube gamepad due to poor game design later on when Nintendo allowed the CC to be freely used. Anyone know of any other examples or was Metal Slug Anthology unique in that regard where it supported GCN gamepads but not the Wii Classic Controller?

If there are several examples, it would be nice if they'd allow other controllers to utilize that GCN controller functionality. But I suspect that's the sort of detail that tends to be overlooked with backwards compatibility where they're concerned about 99% of the library and give little to no attention to those few exceptions that would require going out of their way slightly to accomodate as best as possible.

And in a similar vein, anyone heard if Wii games with Classic Controller support can be used with the WiiU gamepad or the WiiU Pro Controller? Or will gamer's be stuck using an actual Classic Controller, which is compatible, for such games? Both have everything on them necessary to function as Classic Controller substitutes in titles like Mario Kart Wii and Data East Arcade Classics so it would be nice to see. Even for those of us with Classic Controllers, it would be nice to cut the tether to the Wiimote and use something that's 100% wireless when playing such a Wii game on the WiiU.

The only question is if Nintendo has coded their OS to allow them to function as such.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-16-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it looks like Walmart is the last place you can preorder this online but only bundled with other items. And I believe the base model is the only one left. So I'm hoping that atleast one of my preorders come thru on release day. I'm not trying to be waiting in line on November 18th.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me stick my neck out here and say that I like where Nintendo is going with the Wii U. The controller is like built-in handheld console connectivity, such as that between the GameCube and GBA, a feature which I rather enjoyed and was disappointed did not truly catch on. The atypical button and analog positioning will take some getting used to, but no more than going from N64 to GameCube controllers, I'm sure. There's decent launch games, and a lot of extra features. The only bad thing is the basic package which, while not nearly as gimped as the Xbox 360 Core launch package, isn't worth $350.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A
    And in a similar vein, anyone heard if Wii games with Classic Controller support can be used with the WiiU gamepad or the WiiU Pro Controller? Or will gamer's be stuck using an actual Classic Controller, which is compatible, for such games? Both have everything on them necessary to function as Classic Controller substitutes in titles like Mario Kart Wii and Data East Arcade Classics so it would be nice to see. Even for those of us with Classic Controllers, it would be nice to cut the tether to the Wiimote and use something that's 100% wireless when playing such a Wii game on the WiiU.

The only question is if Nintendo has coded their OS to allow them to function as such.
    This depends, how similar is the Wii U hardware to Wii? If this scenario is like Wii's backward compatibility with GameCube, and DS's backward compatibility with Game Boy Advance (the system pretty much becomes its predecessor), it's probably hard-coded to only recognize original Wii peripherals while playing Wii games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You have to enter "Wii Mode" on the dashboard in order to play Wii software. But it doen't strike me as a big technical hurdle to do if they wanted to allow something like the Wii U's Pro Controller to be recognized as a Classic Controller substitute (I really doubt they're worried about those games that only supported GCN controllers for a gamepad option... heck I'm only even aware of 1 and mostly asked out of curiousity to see if there were more than just Metal Slug Anthology). Hence the question since there might be some information floating out there about allowing the Wii U's gamepad and Pro Controller to be utilized as a Classic Controller substitute. I'd like to go tetherless if I play a Wii game on here with Classic Controller support so I hope they allow the Wii U Pro Controller to be used as one.

All I really know where backwards compatibility is concerned here is that the games won't be upscaled to HD but instead will output at the same resolutions they would on actual Wii hardware, that you can transfer your DLC (And I assume your saves will go along for the ride although I've not seen that part of it discussed), that it's compatible with most Wii accessories, and that you have to enter Wii Mode to bring up the Wii's dashboard in order to play Wii software.

They probably won't, if for nothing else to sell some more Classic Controllers to those Wii U owners that may pick up some old Wii games for the first time and want to utilize that functionality. Same with letting Classic Controllers access the Pro Controller functionality in Wii U games that support it ( Since I'm sure we will be getting Wii U releases that support that but don't support the backwards compatible Classic Controller... although hopefully most games will offer a full range of controller options when it makes sense).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-22-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    So it looks like Walmart is the last place you can preorder this online but only bundled with other items. And I believe the base model is the only one left. So I'm hoping that atleast one of my preorders come thru on release day. I'm not trying to be waiting in line on November 18th.
    I was curious about the pre-order situation and asked my buddy at GameStop about it today.

Apparently every GS was allocated 10-15 systems max and those went extremely fast. The "reserve" system is something new and has caused much confusion. I guess no one anticipated these would sell like crazy before they even hit the shelves.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm expecting a fairly strong launch for this thing.

If PS4 or X720 were already announced, then there would be a shadow hanging over the launch, but the fact that this isn't the case combined with the comparatively low price of Wii U (compared to $599 for PS3 at launch SIX YEARS AGO) will mean that a lot of people just impulse buy this thing for the holidays because there isn't anything else to buy this year. No one's going to cross-shop it with the Vita and frankly there just isn't anything else around.

I'm really excited about it but I'm not going to buy at launch. I'm waaaaay behind on normal Wii game and 3DS, and I want to get through some of that before I commit to new hardware.

I'm upset there isn't a proper 3D Mario launch title though. I feel like the exploration-heavy less frantic style of Sm64 would be excellent on Wii U, imagine using the controller to peek around corners or see through objects, etc. This should have been the showcase for the hardware AT LAUNCH, and it isn't there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    I guess no one anticipated these would sell like crazy before they even hit the shelves.
    Some of us knew, which is why I preordered two. And although Reggie says the Wii U supply channel is "solid" I'd still like to show you a glimps into the future. I know those seem ridiculously high but ebay will be much of the same once this thing launches and people realize that they need to do something drastic in order to make their child's xmas dreams come true.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P