Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story of the day (09/14/2012) The Flea Market Meanie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Story of the day (09/14/2012) The Flea Market Meanie.

I am writing this story today because I feel a growing hostility between collectors, and have a few questions to ask you all.

Today I took a ride down to a flea market, not-so-local (50 minute drive). I went for a nice morning of treasure hunting for my collection.
    The market was pretty dry, I barely stayed for 2 hours, but in these two hours, lies my story.

The only Nintendo games at all which I found, were 2 SNES games, DKC and Mario World, and Tecmo Bowl complete for NES. All which I have already, but are games my friends also enjoy. Regardless, I picked them up. Upon paying the man, his friend, the Flea Market Meanie, looks at me and says..
    "You have reseller written all over you"
    I said "What? Why do you think that? I collect these."
    "Your full of shit" he looks at his friend who sold me the games, shakes his head, and says "Why can't people just be honest?"
    By this point I was already enraged, because I hate resellers too, and this complete stranger seems to think I am one.
    So I say "Well, ask me some questions about games."
    He says "Pirates Gold, which platform?"
    Immediately, without hesitation, I respond "Sega Genesis, by Microprose".
    I suppose he was surprised that I actually answered him.. Then he reveals even more dooshyness.

"Do you have earthbound?"
    "Yes" I respond.
    "Do you have the box?"
    "No, I don't care for cardboard" I respond.
    "You're not a collector, that's bullshit. Do you have Chrono Trigger?"
    "Yes" I say.
    "Well I have some maps for it" he says.
    "I had the maps, but I got rid of them" Says me.
    His final words "See? Your not a collector, your just a seller"

I grew tired of this narrow-minded asshole and wandered away, and later saw him talking to a seller about Atari Games he had laid out. Turns out he must have been a collector too.

What bothers me, is how I can't be a collector unless I keep every single thing. (I'm more of a genesis guy)
    (I don't have the Earthbound Box, so I must not be a collector)
    He assumes that I can't possibly be replacing the save-batteries in my games at home, or replacing broken carts all together.
    He assumes that I don't have any friends who would love to play DKC or SMW again, both wildly popular.

Heres my discussion guys.

Are there any collecting moments you aren't proud of?
    Have you knocked over a little-old-lady for first pick at a box of games?
    Threatened or insulted a complete stranger?

Heres my main point: Lets try to show a little more civility with eachother, because we are so alike, we'd all have a lot more fun if collectors weren't so hostile.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woah, you bought a complete in box Tecmo Bowl, but don't intend to keep the box?

I hope "I had the maps, but I got rid of them" means 'found a loving and caring home for them'.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I think you just ran into a d-bag collector. Doesn't mean there arent nice collectors. Same with resellers. Some are nice and some are d-bags.

My low point was probably buying a bunch of stuff from this woman who was selling her husband's stuff. It was clearly a messed up situation: the lady and her husband (from what she said) both seemed crazy. Felt a little bad, but there was another collector/seller there too so clearly someone was going to get the deal. Lousy justification, I know.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I hope "I had the maps, but I got rid of them" means 'found a loving and caring home for them'.
    Hopefully it means "gave away for free" as selling them would make him a reseller, I'm really not sure why people are offended by it as being a hoarder is worse. Would any collector turn down a rare/expensive game priced at $1 if they already had a copy? I doubt it. In a way I wouldn't have believed him either if he said he didn't own an Earthbound box because he doesn't care for cardboard, if he would have said he never found a box for cheap and can't afford $200 for an empty box it would have sounded believable. Wanting to save money makes sense, that's why people go to flea markets instead of buying stuff off ebay. Saying you don't want packaging of any kind doesn't sound legit when you're trying to come across as a serious collector at the same time. The dude was still a jerk though.

I look around for games, I hope to find stuff for me to keep but I'll pick up anything that's good and priced well. Some stuff I pick up for me only I get bored with it and sell it off or trade it instead, other stuff I know is expensive so I'll pick it up too. What's fun is taking a chance on stuff not knowing anything about it, only to find out later that it's actually valuable. That's what's really fun with looking around for stuff to buy.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I have zero problem admitting that I buy games to resell once in a while. If I see something that I already have or don't want but I can make a profit on (usually won't bother unless it's a $20+ profit), of course I'll snap it up. It's a win/win as far as I'm concerned. The game gets in the hands of someone who really wants it, and I get some money to put towards what I spend on games that I keep.

I don't make a living out of it, though, so I still give other collectors plenty of an opportunity to discover great deals themselves. I'm usually on the other end of that myself, always finding places that are blatantly picked over (nothing but sports games remaining). I don't mind collectors who resell, but general resellers who don't give a crap about games and make on living on eBay can be annoying. They're a problem because they're not as discriminating as collectors who resell. General resellers aren't as savvy about the true values of games, so they'll often buy up just about everything, even when the prices aren't very good, and then they'll put the games up on eBay at ridiculously high BIN prices and sit on them until a sucker comes along. I think that behavior slowly drives prices up more and more and reduces the availability of games in the wild.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Ha, I've never been called a reseller as an insult. Normally, my local fleamarket sellers use much more colorful words.The closest I could come is some guy I talked down over the course of a few weeks a handful of years ago over a loose Moonwalker cart.

I'm not particularly big on reselling, as I rarely buy games I don't want these days. There have been games I just flat out wanted out of my sight that I've dumped at conventions and swap meets, but that's about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think to say that collectors don't do any reselling is ridiculous, of course I sell off doubles, it doesn't make sense to keep multiples.
    I simply didn't care to have the maps for Chrono Trigger, I didn't throw them away, I sold them to someone who will cherish them. I still had the respect to preserve them in sealed baggies, as any collector should.

I agree about there being a huge difference between strict resellers and collectors who resell, I'm sure we're almost ALL collectors who resell, especially when the craigslist/flea market vendor doesn't want to separate a lot. What choice do we have, really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never had any encounters like that. Maybe I look intimidating or something. But I split my buying between getting stuff for my collection and getting stuff to resell. I like reselling stuff, especially because it supplements my income. But since I have a real job I'm not completely dependent on it. It actually just evolved from when I use to only look for games for myself to finding lots of cheap doubles of uncommons and rares. And now I just use that to my advantage to make more money to buy stuff I really want....or to pay bills.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

I keep the doubles I have had the misfortune of buying, but I've eliminated that problem by having a checklist of what games I still want. As I get them, I checkmark next to the games name in the notebook, and when I get home I add it to my what I have list and subtract from what I want list. I've never run into any douchebag collectors, hell I rarely run into them at all, just 1 dude who said he had all the NES games (that means he didn't need anymore games). One less competitor for me that means as when we were both there I picked up a couple nice NES games, didn't have to compete against him. There was one guy though who traded in his copy of Dragon's Lair Sega CD, and was pissed that I bought it because he regretted trading it away, too late it's mine now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Unless the friend of ninny was merely cleaning out his house or whatever, likely he bought those games somewhere and was in fact reselling them himself. Was the ninny going to be critical of his friend? I kinda doubt it.

And why should his definition of what a collector is be the definitive one? People who collect sealed games might not consider him a collector since he doesn't meet their definition of collecting.

And if you buy a collection of things (I collect laserdiscs and will sometimes buy large amounts in a bulk buy) is a collector just supposed to throw them away and not resell them to recoup some of the money spent buying the lot? Makes no sense whatsoever.

The guy is just a twit - so when evaluating his statements consider the source.

(And from the seller's point of view, is a reseller's money any less valuable than a collector's? As long as both parties agree on the price, waht is the point of distinguishing between the two?)
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I have zero problem admitting that I buy games to resell once in a while. If I see something that I already have or don't want but I can make a profit on (usually won't bother unless it's a $20+ profit), of course I'll snap it up. It's a win/win as far as I'm concerned. The game gets in the hands of someone who really wants it, and I get some money to put towards what I spend on games that I keep.
    Same here. I don't see the problem, quite frankly.

I seldom get the kind of crap you do in the wild, OP. The worst collecting story I have is the same one I'm sure everyone encounters from time to time: a seller at a flea market or import shop looking up the price of something you're interested in on Ebay and trying to change the price mid-transaction. In that instance, you just walk away if they insist on the new price.

I'm also curious as to why you care what some dude running a booth at a flea market thinks of you. That seems counter productive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys, I feel better. Supplementing income by selling off doubles is fine with me too, I just hate guys who judge me so quickly because I look young. I was born in 89, and regardless of NES being out for a few years already, I still played it just as much as the next guy, and all the subsequent systems too.

I collect Genesis more because It's something I didn't have as a child, a new frontier.

To assume that because I'm 23 (and look younger) means that I'm just a smartass teenager trying to make a buck is just bullshit!
    But that's how he portrayed me, it bothered me all day, how a complete stranger can talk to me like that.

Edit:
    By the way, I know not all of you live in Jersey.
    New Jersey has the most people-per-mile of any other state, which results in concentrations of rival collectors and TONS of competition. It's tough out there. I've had multiple bad or negative experiences with rude or pathetic collectors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

A good old fashioned F*** U mind your own business would have been my answer... like you would resell 3 of the most common games ever for thousands of dollars lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    A good old fashioned F*** U mind your own business would have been my answer... like you would resell 3 of the most common games ever for thousands of dollars lol
    I was going to suggest this. Next time tell him it is none of your business and go f*** yourself. The guy is just mad you got the games before him.
    SEGA!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I'm more of a player than a collector. That said, I do have a large collection. But to be honest, if it saves me a few bucks, loose carts or even discs without an original case don't bother me at all. I guess that makes me "not a collector" based on what I'm reading here. Mmmkay.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I'm more of a player than a collector. That said, I do have a large collection. But to be honest, if it saves me a few bucks, loose carts or even discs without an original case don't bother me at all. I guess that makes me "not a collector" based on what I'm reading here. Mmmkay.
    I feel the same. I'm in on it for fun not really collecting. I know if I had the cardboard boxes to go along with the cartridges I would probably end up just putting them in the closet or end up ruining them by accedent so I just get loose cartridges.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by Schiggidyd View Post
    Thanks guys, I feel better. Supplementing income by selling off doubles is fine with me too, I just hate guys who judge me so quickly because I look young. I was born in 89, and regardless of NES being out for a few years already, I still played it just as much as the next guy, and all the subsequent systems too.

I collect Genesis more because It's something I didn't have as a child, a new frontier.

To assume that because I'm 23 (and look younger) means that I'm just a smartass teenager trying to make a buck is just bullshit!
    But that's how he portrayed me, it bothered me all day, how a complete stranger can talk to me like that.

Edit:
    By the way, I know not all of you live in Jersey.
    New Jersey has the most people-per-mile of any other state, which results in concentrations of rival collectors and TONS of competition. It's tough out there. I've had multiple bad or negative experiences with rude or pathetic collectors.
    You think your young, I'm 15! I still play and enjoy games though even though I didn't get to live through when they were coming out (of course I wish I did though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    You think your young, I'm 15! I still play and enjoy games though even though I didn't get to live through when they were coming out (of course I wish I did though).
    Well, for this asshole at the flea market, maybe in his late 30's, I am young at 23.

I think everyone has their own collecting style and no jerkoff's should tell you HOW to collect. I'm fine with my Earthbound and Chrono Trigger cart, if I don't have the boxes, no big deal!
    It doesn't make me less of a collector, just not as hardcore!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a pretty funny story. I somehow imagine an old country guy that looks like he'd be named Zeek when I read the douchy guy's lines Talk about bad business too, just after making a sale. Considering they got paid they shouldn't care what happens next to whatever they sold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Schiggidyd View Post
    The only Nintendo games at all which I found, were 2 SNES games, DKC and Mario World, and Tecmo Bowl complete for NES. All which I have already, but are games my friends also enjoy. Regardless, I picked them up. Upon paying the man, his friend, the Flea Market Meanie, looks at me and says..
    "You have reseller written all over you"
    I said "What? Why do you think that? I collect these."
    I'm confused. Were you buying these games to give them to your friends? If so, why didn't you just say so?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)