Thread: Optimum Dreamcast video hook up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Optimum Dreamcast video hook up

Since this thread's original purpose is kinda stupid, I have another question. I have a Dreamcast currently with no AV cable. I'm on the hunt. There are apparently a couple of options. AV, S-Video, VGA, etc... which produces the best picture quality? I think I might hook it up to my HD TV if I can swing an S-Video or VGA hook up. Though I'm curious how the TV gets sound though the VGA cable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original Post
    I picked up a spare Genesis model 2 today with a power adapter, I wanted to swap out my Model 1's power adapter because I think something's wrong with it (it buzzes). But I noticed the Input and Output information is different between the two adapters, so I didn't want to risk plugging in the wrong one.

Is there a problem swapping them anyway?
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 09-23-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The plugs are not even the same size, so you should not be able to plug model 1 transformer into a model 2 console if you wanted to. Now, if you wanted to change out the tips...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    The plugs are not even the same size, so you should not be able to plug model 1 transformer into a model 2 console if you wanted to.
    Oh. I probably should have tried that first.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

They're different specs, they're not compatible with each other. You'll need to find a proper Model 1 adapter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should really make a new thread if you're going to completely change the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thumbs up

For the Dreamcast, VGA is the nearly optimal choice. It is not completely optimal as some games don't support VGA mode, and while some of them can be tricked and will work anyway, some absolutely refuse. Therefore you might find yourself having to switch from VGA to S-video for some games. Thus the best path would be to find an A/V solution which outputs to both formats to ensure you never have to swap cables.

As for the audio, though it is strangely rarely stated in the listings for the VGA adapters, they have audio out as either a port requiring an audio cable or as a cable attached as part of the unit itself. If I remember correctly, the audio output is in the form of a pair of RCA cables (composite red and white).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Since this thread's original purpose is kinda stupid, I have another question. I have a Dreamcast currently with no AV cable. I'm on the hunt. There are apparently a couple of options. AV, S-Video, VGA, etc... which produces the best picture quality? I think I might hook it up to my HD TV if I can swing an S-Video or VGA hook up. Though I'm curious how the TV gets sound though the VGA cable.
    I have a 3rd party VGA adapter that looks just like this. Wow, even the 3rd party ones seem to have bloated in price. It is important to note that every other 3rd party VGA cable I have tested for the Dreamcast has horrible upconverted Composite for the S-Video Output. The Official and the one I linked should have the same quality S-Video output as the standard Dreamcast cable.

In addition, I bought an Impact Acoustics VGA to Component converter that upscales to 720p or 1080i. At either of these resolutions I would rather play my Dreamcast games on my 40" LCD HDTV than any of the HD remakes with all of their controller lagged glory.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've got this one
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8712.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	5740
    though someone added in an extra switch on the right side of the one in the pic, it's just the best pic I could find.

Anyway, it's got a VGA port as well as an S-Video port, a composite video port, L-R audio ports and two headphone jacks (w/a volume control). Finally there's a switch to change between S-Video/Composite or VGA mode.

To get sound to the TV when using VGA, you just use either the L-R ports or one of the headphone jacks.

Of course it depends how the TV takes in audio for the VGA input. On my TV it's the same sort of jack as a headphone jack, so you could either just use a patch cable with that connector on both sides and plug it into the headphone jack on the box, or a headphone to RCA adapter and connect the headphone connector to the TV and the RCA ends to the L-R audio ports on the box. Given the choice, I'd go with the L-R ports, but either will work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been using a clear orange third party VGA box for many years. The picture looks amazing on any monitor, even digital hdtvs. The s-video seemed fine the few times I tried it on a crt. I normally just use a dedicated s-video cable on a crt TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It'd be neat to have a way to switch between SCART and VGA. I might look into that for curiosity.
    Lum fan.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hhsdkj hsjhflkj slfjlsjk f;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy45 View Post
    hhsdkj hsjhflkj slfjlsjk f;
    *chews carrot* Sorry doc. We don't speak tasmanian devil.
    Lum fan.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Newer tv's with VGA input have a stereo mini-jack as well. My issue (peeve) is that I have my PC hooked up in this way and don't feel like disconnecting it. Those annoying VGA screws! Now there are VGA to HDMI adapters, too. I wonder if there's a converter that can do both VGA and SCART to HDMI? ! That would be perfect as I am considering shifting my old Genesis/SMS/SNES/N64 stuff to SCART, and then to HDMI or component.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of TVs nowadays either don't have VGA, or they have lousy support for different sync timings, so we really do need an alternative.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    My issue (peeve) is that I have my PC hooked up in this way and don't feel like disconnecting it. Those annoying VGA screws!
    Some of the VGA boxes have a pass through feature just for such occasions (though not all of them, mine doesn't). You hook it up to your TV, your Dreamcast, and your PC. Back when they were first making these things, VGA was still mostly for desktop monitors, so it was even more hassle than just screws, you'd be crawling under a desk to swap things, not just reaching behind a flatscreen!

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VGA or SCART will yield excellent results, VGA being the best and easiest since its full 640x480 at 31hz which most monitors will recognize with no problems. And yes TV's are starting to pull the VGA port but, there's always the upscaling option VGA to HDMI adapters.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a VGA box and S-video cables for Dreamcast. VGA straight to my TV looks nice, but S-video into my XRGB Framemeister and out to my TV at 1080P is even better. Put simply, Dreamcast looks gorgeous on my plasma. It's an expensive solution for sure, but well worth it in my eyes.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I have a VGA box and S-video cables for Dreamcast. VGA straight to my TV looks nice, but S-video into my XRGB Framemeister and out to my TV at 1080P is even better. Put simply, Dreamcast looks gorgeous on my plasma. It's an expensive solution for sure, but well worth it in my eyes.
    VGA to component (with d terminal adapter) should go past even that. No de-interlacing by the XRGB.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    VGA to component (with d terminal adapter) should go past even that. No de-interlacing by the XRGB.
    If I'm ever bored I'll have to try that.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com