Thread: I Need Help With a Sega CD Model 1

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I Need Help With a Sega CD Model 1

I recently purchased a Model 1 Sega CD on Ebay and I am having trouble getting it to work. It will power on but I can't get a Sega logo on the screen or the menu options. In fact all I get is a black background with what appears to be the earth and the moon. The green light on the front of the model one comes on the console itself (Ready), the red light (Access) won't come and I can't even get the cd tray to open either. If I press the reset button then these words come on the bottom of the screen,"Put a Disc on the CD tray and press the Start Button." I really would like to get this thing working especially since I paid more than $50 for it, please help. Thanks

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That problem is usually caused by dirty contacts on the Genesis. Get a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol, 90% is best since it dries faster,and clean the expansion connector on the Genesis really well. Let it dry for a few minutes reconnect power and see if you get a menu. Also be sure your using the original MK-1602 on the Sega CD which is 9 or 10v 1.2 amps DC power with a negative center pin, they can be really picky with the power supplies, especially the model 1 tray loading models.

Once you get the music running, hit start, a, b or c and you should be taken to the CD player. Navigate over to the open/close button and see if it opens or closes. If it does, take a music disc and play it. If it plays, then eject, try a game disc and your set if it boots. If not then it's an internal problem mostly likely with the drive and there's other people here than can help with that.

Trust me the model 1's are pains in the ass, I've had three which weren't cheap even in 2005 and I had to mix and match parts to get it to work and it's still finicky, but for something that's 20 years old this month and still works, can't complain too much.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    That problem is usually caused by dirty contacts on the Genesis. Get a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol, 90% is best since it dries faster,and clean the expansion connector on the Genesis really well. Let it dry for a few minutes reconnect power and see if you get a menu. Also be sure your using the original MK-1602 on the Sega CD which is 9 or 10v 1.2 amps DC power with a negative center pin, they can be really picky with the power supplies, especially the model 1 tray loading models.

Once you get the music running, hit start, a, b or c and you should be taken to the CD player. Navigate over to the open/close button and see if it opens or closes. If it does, take a music disc and play it. If it plays, then eject, try a game disc and your set if it boots. If not then it's an internal problem mostly likely with the drive and there's other people here than can help with that.

Trust me the model 1's are pains in the ass, I've had three which weren't cheap even in 2005 and I had to mix and match parts to get it to work and it's still finicky, but for something that's 20 years old this month and still works, can't complain too much.
    ok. I have tried all of that and still have no success. So could someone please help further. I really have no idea what to do since I've never worked on the Sega CD before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it sound like anything is loose in the system? Sometimes opening it up and reseating the ribbons between the parts in there can help. I've had a couple systems I got in the mail where the ribbon came loose during shipping so it's a possibility.

Also, if you're getting the BIOS screen and music like mentioned, you should be able to get to the main menu by pressing a button on the controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

What you're seeing is a mismatch of communication between the Genesis and the SegaCD. I've got a CDX here that does the same thing and this can be fixed but only if you know what you're doing.

Loose ribbons, bad caps, leaky caps destroying traces can all cause what you're seeing. Do not attempt to open the unit without completely understanding what you're about to do as they are very, very easy to break in a way that isn't fixable. This is not a "my first soldering" project by any stretch of the imagination - unless you don't mind potentially killing it beyond repair.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Does it sound like anything is loose in the system? Sometimes opening it up and reseating the ribbons between the parts in there can help. I've had a couple systems I got in the mail where the ribbon came loose during shipping so it's a possibility.

Also, if you're getting the BIOS screen and music like mentioned, you should be able to get to the main menu by pressing a button on the controller.
    No music will come on when I turn on the sega CD nor do I get the blue Sega logo either. Also there are no loose parts when I shake the console gently either. The previous seller told me that sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. He said when he tested it he got a music CD to work as well as a Sega CD disc to work. However to no avail I can't get it to work for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Badcompany_25 View Post
    No music will come on when I turn on the sega CD nor do I get the blue Sega logo either. Also there are no loose parts when I shake the console gently either. The previous seller told me that sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. He said when he tested it he got a music CD to work as well as a Sega CD disc to work. However to no avail I can't get it to work for me.
    Correction.... I took off the Sega CD top then the heat shield to the CD drive. I found a loose piece underneath the CD tray. It is a about 2 inches long, hard black plastic it is kinda curved at the ends.

Another correction.... It is is dark gray and appears to be metalic of some sorts.

Update: I also noticed that a white ribbon underneath the other heat shield (not cd tray) isn't connected to anything.
    So please help me someone.
    Last edited by Badcompany_25; 09-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correction.... I took off the Sega CD top then the heat shield to the CD drive. I found a loose piece underneath the CD tray. It is a about 2 inches long, hard black plastic it is kinda curved at the ends.

Another correction.... It is is dark gray and appears to be metalic of some sorts.

Update: I also noticed that a white ribbon underneath the other heat shield (not cd tray) isn't connected to anything.
    So please help me someone.
    Update: I figured out what was wrong it. It is now working great!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Update: I figured out what was wrong it. It is now working great!!
    Let me guess, what I've seen happen before is that the little block that goes over the ribbon had come off the ribbon, or pulled the ribbon out of it's seat on the motherboard.

That's what happened when I was shipped a Model 1 that was poorly packed. I'm guessing it got jostled around a lot, and that caused the weight from the block to tug the ribbon and pull it out it's seat.