Thread: What is your favorite Resident Evil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The original Resident Evil on Playstation. I would have said Resident Evil 2 for the longest time, myself. I'd still say 2 is the superior game, but perhaps nostalgia set in and I look back more fondly now upon the original. I can remember just about every area and scenario from RE 1, it was just so memorable to me.

Though I regard it highly, I've never been a big fan of RE 4.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine is still RE2. It had a creepy atmosphere and gave me a real sense of tension. My 2nd favorite is the original, followed by RE4 in 3rd. RE4 was more action oriented but still felt like a survivor horror game. RE5 was a good action game, but the horror part was gone.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The first two, on Playstation.

I was one of those guys who bought a Playstation for Final Fantasy VII, and within months of owning the device I wound up feeling like "this gaming generation is shit. I want to go back to the SNES." But I had a $20 Wal-Mart gift card and just happened to see a copy of Resident Evil: Director's Cut (the one with the RE2 demo) at the store... long story short, Resident Evil was the game that made me believe in the Playstation.

To this day, I still think its fantastic. Its got action, its actually genuinely creepy at times, the story is an engaging mystery that gradually unfolds, and lots of ass gets kicked all over the place.

That being said, its only recently that I sought out the rest of the series, and Resident Evil 2 is right up there as a favorite. The game just improves on the first in every way except one--there's a definite downgrade in the mysterious atmosphere, and its more straightforward action. But hey, I love blowing up alligators, don't you?

While I liked Nemesis and Code Veronica, to me they felt like where the series started getting thin. Nemesis was basically an expansion pack. Code Veronica on the other hand felt like it was trying to be some sort of epic conclusion to the saga, and I felt it was kind of belabored, but still fun.

I actually own two copies of RE2 (PS1 and PC "Platinum Edition"), RE3 (PS1 and Dreamcast) and Code Veronica (Dreamcast and PS2, with the DMC demo disk). Working on finding the Dreamcast RE2. Why? Well... I love blowing up alligators, don't you?

I used to own a copy of Resident Evil Gaiden on Gameboy Color. Like a moron, I sold it. I wish I hadn't. If anyone's willing to offer me a reasonable price on it, let me know.

Now for the somewhat controversial opinion bit: I'm one of those weirdos who thinks Survivor is an underappreciated gem. Dino Crisis 1 is good too by the way (and available on Dreamcast... yes I want it), I've never played Dino Crisis 2, 3 or Stalker.

I have Resident Evil Zero and 4 for the Gamecube. I'm... on the fence about RE4 at the moment, and unfortunately I got Zero at the tail end of an RE phase so burnout prevented me from playing it, but maybe its time to tackle it for Halloween.

EDIT: By the way, Resident Evil is, and has always been, better than Silent Hill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    The original Resident Evil on Playstation. I would have said Resident Evil 2 for the longest time, myself. I'd still say 2 is the superior game, but perhaps nostalgia set in and I look back more fondly now upon the original. I can remember just about every area and scenario from RE 1, it was just so memorable to me.

Though I regard it highly, I've never been a big fan of RE 4.
    Wow, couldn't have said it better. The original will always hold that special place with me as well, at the time it was amazing and truly it still has the best atmosphere of the series imo.

My second favorite would be Code Veronica, it just nailed that great atmosphere again yet seemed like a new game with new elements that added and didn't detract from the gameplay. Third fave is Resident Evil 2 and fourth is Resident Evil 5. Didn't care for 3,4 or any of the offshoots, though "Zero" and the remakes on the gamecube were quite good.