Thread: D1K Arcade for Intellivision Now Available in ROM format

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default D1K Arcade for Intellivision Now Available in ROM format

Elektronite has had a lot of requests for this, and we have always said 'no'. However, we have decided to give what a lot of our customers have requested. I just wanted to let people here know about this. This is a message from the author of the critically acclaimed DK Arcade (Also Known as D1K) for the Intellivision, which is as you probably know, an AMAZING version of Donkey Kong that blows away the Colecovision AND NES version. (I am not kidding)

================================================== ===========================

D1K ARCADE ROM from Elektronite and Classic Game Publishers, Inc. - Now on Sale!

The "digital version" of D1K is now ready for distribution. To purchase the ROM, send $15 payment by PayPal to the following address:

carlmuellerjr@yahoo.com

The ROM will be sent to you in both BIN + CFG and in ROM format, suitable for playing in most emulators and on the Intellicart or CC3. You will also receive a PDF of the D1K instruction sheet, along with images of the box cover, and overlay.

Note that each ROM is personalized and contains your name and serial number (assigned in the order of purchase). The second page of credits will list your name and serial number.

Please include a note with your payment indicating the name you want to see on the credits screen above the serial number. This can be a handle or nickname, no more than 18 characters in length. Specify the exact capitalization you would like to use. If you don't send this information, I will assume that you want to use the name associated with your PayPal account - names longer than 18 characters will be truncated.

Binaries will be delivered to the e-mail address associated with your PayPal account.

(I shouldn't have to mention that since the ROM contains your personal information, it would be unwise to distribute it.)

I hope having D1K in ROM format allows you to play it exactly the way you want, where you want it!

Carl
    ================================================== ========================
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you're selling Nintendo's IP, presumably without authorization, but you're uppity about it getting pirated?
    Some set of balls you got there, fella.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elektronite View Post
    (I shouldn't have to mention that since the ROM contains your personal information, it would be unwise to distribute it without taking a hex editor to it)
    Fixed that for you.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I think this is a brilliant way to distribute roms at a lower cost, for homebrews. Though I feel $15 is too high for just a rom. Also, I agree with kedawa, charging for just a rom a clear use of Nintendo's IP is a slippery slope.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$15 too high? Your mileage may vary, but it is paying for the programming.

Not 'uppity' about pirating at all.....just realistic. If you think you can get it to work with a Hex editor, we welcome you to try.

D1K is a clone...just like Champ Kong for the PC, and many other clones. If clones offend you, don't buy them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Champ Kong is free.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On a technical basis, even if you used a hex editor to change the serial number and personal information there are sneakier ways Elektronite could have implemented into knowing exactly which person that particular rom was sold to.

Personally, I think it's a rather odd situation. You -know- that the people who will be using your ROM probably have thousands of pirated games on their system. Do you think they will uphold the copyright claim of something that is already either infringing on or dangerously close to an established IP? I'm sure many will out of respect to the developers, but it only takes one guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It only takes two copies to compare and see what's different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Champ Kong is free.
    Technically Nintendo squished Champ Games and would have eliminated every copy of Champ Kong if they could have. You might as well say that the MAME ROMs are free.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.gamesforyourintellivision.com/d1krom

We are attempting to get the rights for INTV. Nevertheless, if you want the rom, please follow the link.