Thread: Bunch of Classic Sierra PC Adventure Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bunch of Classic Sierra PC Adventure Games

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the value of these various things.

All of these are complete in box which is beautifully preserved. All promotional materials, warranty cards, manuals etc, are still in there, along with 3.5" and 5.25" floppy versions (PC Versions):

King's Quest
    King's Quest III
    King's Quest IV
    Police Quest
    Space Quest II
    Space Quest III
    Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking for Love (in Several Wrong Places)
    Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals
    Leisure Suit Larry 5

I also have King's Quest VI, on floppies for MS DOS. Not very well preserved. The inner box's top is missing and it does not include a game-specific manual, just a generic Sierra Game Installation Manual. Also includes a warranty card and an insert advertising Kiplinger's CA Simply Money.

Of other interest is Sierra Deluxe Paint II, complete in its box as the large list above.

MS Windows 3.0 CIB with all documentation
    MS Windows 1.0, CIB with all documentation (box is fairly worn.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm valuing these things for insurance purposes.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparf View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the value of these various things.

All of these are complete in box which is beautifully preserved. All promotional materials, warranty cards, manuals etc, are still in there, along with 3.5" and 5.25" floppy versions (PC Versions):

King's Quest
    King's Quest III
    King's Quest IV
    Police Quest
    Space Quest II
    Space Quest III
    Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking for Love (in Several Wrong Places)
    Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals
    Leisure Suit Larry 5

I also have King's Quest VI, on floppies for MS DOS. Not very well preserved. The inner box's top is missing and it does not include a game-specific manual, just a generic Sierra Game Installation Manual. Also includes a warranty card and an insert advertising Kiplinger's CA Simply Money.

Of other interest is Sierra Deluxe Paint II, complete in its box as the large list above.

MS Windows 3.0 CIB with all documentation
    MS Windows 1.0, CIB with all documentation (box is fairly worn.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm valuing these things for insurance purposes.
    It really depends on which version they are. If many of them are dual disc, they likely aren't original releases for things like King's Quest or Leisure Suit Larry. If they are the Slash releases, they are worth even less. You will really need to post some pictures of the contents but for most used original release Sierra stuff in excellent condition, you're looking at roughly $20 - $30 per game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These do appear to be later releases. I found the packing slip that my uncle ordered them with. It's dated 1990 and has King's Quest I, IV, and Police Quest on it. I am attaching photos of the games, as well as the contents of King's Quest I. I can open more if people would like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It really depends on which version they are. If many of them are dual disc, they likely aren't original releases for things like King's Quest or Leisure Suit Larry. If they are the Slash releases, they are worth even less. You will really need to post some pictures of the contents but for most used original release Sierra stuff in excellent condition, you're looking at roughly $20 - $30 per game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-09 17.41.49.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	5789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-09 17.42.05.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	5790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-09 17.42.33.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	5791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-09 17.42.56.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	5792  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-09 17.44.19.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	5793  

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

My god.

My opinion judging from those photos - $30 per game on a good day. Maybe a bit more if you can make backup copies of the discs and burn them to CD so people can play them in DOSBox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

I recently sold a complete Diskette version of Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passonate Patty Does a Little Undercover Work for $20 shippped. I think I sat on it for about 2 weeks.

Yes they will sell.

No they will not bring phat cash.

No they will not sell fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm curious. What is the tone of the 'My god', there. Having a bit of trouble parsing it from context.

I actually could do that with the discs. I have a USB floppy drive for such occasions, and it would be good, even if the discs deteriorate, to have them and a backup CD with them

To be clear I was more concerned with their value for insurance purposes. I have a HUGE retro game collection and I want to make sure it gets entirely covered. And to do that I needed rough estimates on an itemized list. These were some I had no real idea about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    My god.

My opinion judging from those photos - $30 per game on a good day. Maybe a bit more if you can make backup copies of the discs and burn them to CD so people can play them in DOSBox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I would never expect a fast sell. Especially since you can buy them by complete set on GOG.com (for many of the classic series anyway).

I like owning them more for the novelty and nostalgia, to be honest. I just was looking for general ideas of value for insurance itemization purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by ownerizer View Post
    I recently sold a complete Diskette version of Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passonate Patty Does a Little Undercover Work for $20 shippped. I think I sat on it for about 2 weeks.

Yes they will sell.

No they will not bring phat cash.

No they will not sell fast.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by sparf View Post
    I'm curious. What is the tone of the 'My god', there. Having a bit of trouble parsing it from context.

I actually could do that with the discs. I have a USB floppy drive for such occasions, and it would be good, even if the discs deteriorate, to have them and a backup CD with them

To be clear I was more concerned with their value for insurance purposes. I have a HUGE retro game collection and I want to make sure it gets entirely covered. And to do that I needed rough estimates on an itemized list. These were some I had no real idea about.
    As in "holy fucking shnitzel". As in awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    As in "holy fucking shnitzel". As in awesome.

hngh... Not as awesome as I hoped. Unless it's the problem where new, cheap floppy drives won't read certain old disks (i.e., they removed compatibility with the 720k disks to save money), then the whole collection except 5 seems to be borked as far as the 3.5" floppies are concerned. I'm hoping that's not the case. They were stored carefully and only ever read into a computer once or twice (my uncle was proud of having his games installed to his hard drive).

**Edit

Well, I'm dumb. My USB Floppy drive only supports 1.44 and 1.25 MB floppies. All these games except for King's Quest VI are on 720k Double Density 3.5" floppies. Gonna have to test in a different machine. As soon as I can get one up and running.

You know what else bugs me? I was at a thrift store (where I got KQVI), and picked up what turned out to be an empty box (someone stole the guts) for TMNT: The Arcade Game for the PC. I still paid the 2 bucks because hey, box.
    Last edited by sparf; 10-09-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with all the comments in the thread. About $20-$30 in value, no they won't sell fast, but they will eventually sell. I'd love to collect more vintage Sierra PC stuff, but the games are so damn big and they aren't valuable at all. I just don't have to room when Nintendo games are smaller and worth much more sometimes.

Really a shame because I have so many great memories of Sierra stuff. It seems like the only valuable ones are early Apple II releases (real early, like Mystery House, TrapShoot, stuff like that). I saw a sealed King's Quest I IBM version go for $510 recently too, seller had some nice Sierra items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KINGS-QUEST-...-/290783564633
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it come to valuing stuff for insurance, make sure to take a couple of pictures to illustrate the condition of everything and all the bits and pieces you've got with it before you give them a price as well.

Make sure you're doing replacement cost instead of actual cash value in this case. I don't know if this is considered fraud or not but I'd tack on an extra 10% or so for the fact that if you're going to be getting replacements they're not the kind of thing that commonly pops up and it's going to be hard to locate. You can't just walk into a store and buy 20 year old Sierra games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, definitely good advice. I've never had issues with insurance companies paying up for replacement cost in the past (though this is a different type of insurance).

Also, as an update, the Disks are all working (at least the 3.5" ones.). My USB drive only supports 1.25 and 1.44 MB floppies, and won't read the smaller ones. But I had occasion to power on an older system with a floppy drive and test the disks and copy the files off.

^_^

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    When it come to valuing stuff for insurance, make sure to take a couple of pictures to illustrate the condition of everything and all the bits and pieces you've got with it before you give them a price as well.

Make sure you're doing replacement cost instead of actual cash value in this case. I don't know if this is considered fraud or not but I'd tack on an extra 10% or so for the fact that if you're going to be getting replacements they're not the kind of thing that commonly pops up and it's going to be hard to locate. You can't just walk into a store and buy 20 year old Sierra games.