Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I got a new Retro gaming TV that is a dream come true... Check out Bonk on it

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    The exact one linked earlier from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290784906330
    Very, very nice. As far as preparing goes, I would recommend you download some very impressive looking shmup games. These generally have the most wow-factor graphics, and being arcade games they are designed to be played on a good RGB monitor. Games like:

Pro Gear
    Blazing Star
    Pulstar

or run and gun games like Metal Slug.

Look into programs that can allow your computer to output 240p to this monitor. Start with Soft 15khz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm assuming you mean through VGA straight from my Graphics card on my PC correct?

And yeah, i'm going to be looking into as much as possible, my first priority is some decent speakers though. That model I bought only has one, and while mono is fine for nes, everything else NEEDS stereo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MY monitor comes in today. How many PNC to Phono adapters should I huy from Radio shack? Do I just need 3 for the video, or do I need 5 for the video and audio?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

MY monitor comes in today. How many PNC to Phono adapters should I huy from Radio shack? Do I just need 3 for the video, or do I need 5 for the video and audio?

Ok, so, if you got the actual one that I got, what you really need to do is contact this guy on Atari Age. He makes a Euro Scart to PVM adapter. Unfortunately, he's back ordered, and has tons of customers waiting for cables. So, to get on the waiting list, you have to contact him and paypal him the $26 (I think that's what he's charging) for the cable. I think he said that he's backed up about a month to a month and a half. Still, if I was in your situation, I would order his adapter immediately, and just wait the two months or however long it takes to get that adapter.

That is the adapter that you need. That adapter will connect right up to either one of the two RGB/component inputs. Then you just plug your Euro Scart RGB cables right into that adapter, and you're done. Notice the red and white RCA plugs for the audio ? That's kept seperate, because using a single mono speaker would be a crime. If you need a super small, 2 channel amp for the stereo sound, I would recommend a Dayton DTA-1.

Here is a link to that guys thread on Atari Age:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...dapter-cables/

Contact him, get his paypal info, and paypal him the $26 and get on the waiting list. Then, while you're waiting, go ahead and head over to Ebay and start shopping for Euro Scart cables. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-Se...item2576a6a9b1

That is a Genesis 1 Euro RGB scart cable for about $16.50 shipped. Here is a SNES one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninten...item25730b7f9a

Basically, you can find ones for Playstation, Saturn, SNES, Genesis etc, etc. They should cost anywhere from about $12 to $25 each. Just make sure you don't get the Japanese Scart cables. The pinout is different. People that have XRGB's are looking for the Japanese ones if they don't have a JPN to Euro adapter, so sometimes you'll see the Japanese ones on Ebay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, in the meanwhile, you can use S-Video cables for your older consoles, and the just plug one of the audio cables from your consoles into the single "audio in" jack, for the mono sound from the one speaker. It will cover you in a pinch, until you get a little amp and some speakers. Also, go to Radio Shack, and buy 3 of those little BNC adapter things, and you can play PS2 and GameCube in component on the montior. Put one of those little adapters on the component inputs for red, green, blue. Then just use the single audio input plug for mono sound (if you need to).

When I first got my monitor, before I borrowed some cables from my bud, I hooked up my GameCube to the monitor via Component. It won't do progresive scan, but the component signal is still pretty good.
    Last edited by WCP; 10-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I plugged in my three adapters and have tried both my wii AND my ps2's component cables, and the monitor gives me a green or red vertical hold.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would think you need RGB cables.

Component cables aren't RGB cables with differently shaped plugs even if the colors would suggest they're the same.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RGB is not component

You are using component cables. This is not RGB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fixed it, there was a syncing problem. I went into the menu and there was an option that fixed it.

Now I have a new problem.

The picture, while absolutely amazing, is getting cut off on the bottom.

Here's what is looks like normally. And the second picture is what it looks like when I press the underscan button. Notice how I'm missing a big chunk of the bottom? How do I manually adjust the picture size?

EDIT: Fixed it. You press menu, then degause and enter at the same time, that lets you change the vertical and horizontal screen size.

Last edited by wingzrow; 10-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

EDIT: Fixed it. You press menu, then degause and enter at the same time, that lets you change the vertical and horizontal screen size.
    Cool, that must be how you get into the service mode. I went ahead and tried it on mine, and went into the service mode, but whenever I adjusted something, I didn't notice anything changing at all. I hope I didn't screw anything up. I just want to shift my screen about 3/4ths of an inch to the left, but can't figure out how to do it...
    Last edited by WCP; 10-20-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can lock your settings in with degause and enter at the same time again, but everything resets when the set turns off.

Here's two new questions.

I noticed my wii's SEGA genesis emulator has an option for bi-linear filtering, but the nes and snes ones don't, can someone explain to me what this is, and if it's important?

Also, what's the difference between RGB and Component? Will I really notice a large difference between running snes games through component on my wii, and running an actual SNES through the scart adapter to get RGB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you plan on doing anything with the service mode I recommend going through and writing down every single value for every single adjustment beforehand, and then putting it in a safe place.

The AVS forums are good place to start with learning about using the service modes on these monitors. They have a list of service code definitions for the consumer trinitrons, and if memory serves me right most of them are the same on the PVM's.

Bilinear filtering is a type of software filter that emulators use to reduce pixelization when scaling the image up to a higher res display. You don't need it for your monitor since you can display the native resolution. Turn it off.

The difference between RGB 240p from a real SNES and from a modded Wii outputting 240p component video will be pretty small. One might be slightly brighter/more contrastier than the other just because of small differences in the video signals. The RGB should be just a little bit sharper, with noticeably more solid coloring.

One thing you WILL notice is that SNES games will scroll silky smooth through the real SNES. No emulator in the world can really do that
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 10-20-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still surprised that when my adapter comes in, that I can just buy euro scart cables and get RGB for my systems without moding them internally at all. That blows my mind. Seems like it would be much cheper in the long run too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every VC game I've tried has awful grainy filtering and weird flickering pixels.
    Use the real thing if you've got it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also, what's the difference between RGB and Component?
    RGB is full bandwidth. You get the full enchilada.

Component cables have Y, Pb, Pr. Y carries full horizontal resolution while the Pb and Pr carry half. With RGB, all three lines must carry full resolution.

Y,Pb,Pr was invented for use in place of RGB to save on total bandwidth requirements

Will I really notice a large difference between running snes games through component on my wii, and running an actual SNES through the scart adapter to get RGB?
    Ok, look, if you bought one of these Sony monitors, then you want to use it for it's full value. Running emulators on it, totally defeats the purpose. You want the "natural", "true" analog RGB signal to be fed to the monitor. Running an emulator on an RGB monitor is a total waste of time. You might as well should have bought a 4:3 TV that has a vga input, so you can connect your PC to it.

The Sony monitor that you own, is capable of displaying the natural analog RGB signal in all it's 15.75 Khz glory. The Playstation 2 is capable of outputting an analog RGB signal, as well as a component signal. As good as component is on the PS2, the RGB signal is slightly better, because it's full bandwidth. Nothing is being sacrificed. Some might say that the differences are so small that 99 percent of the population wouldn't notice it. Whether that is true or not, remains to be seen, but regardless, if you're an owner of a nice Sony PVM, use the thing to it's fullest extent. The only way you can do this, is with actual RGB cables for your actual systems.

I'm still surprised that when my adapter comes in, that I can just buy euro scart cables and get RGB for my systems without moding them internally at all. That blows my mind. Seems like it would be much cheper in the long run too.
    Well, there are a few gaming systems that do need to be modded. TurboGrafx-16's are typcially internally modded for RGB. There is a way to get RGB from a turbo without internally modding it, but the RGB signal must be amplified, and it's a pretty complicated mod. The Nintendo 64 must be internally modded for RGB. (also, it will only work on certain N64 motherboards). The NES must be internally modded for RGB, and it requires a rare ppu chip to do it. The Panasonic 3DO must be internally modded for RGB. The 3DO rgb mod is also extremely complicated and I think it requires some special chips to work. Some guy on Ebay occasionally sells RGB modded 3DO's for like $250. The Philips CD-I can also be internally modded for RGB.
    Last edited by WCP; 10-20-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Every VC game I've tried has awful grainy filtering and weird flickering pixels.
    Use the real thing if you've got it.
    Who said I was using the virtual console? I'm using snesx9, gensplus, and other much better emulators on my Wii.

but yeah, i'm going for full RGB as soon as I can, this whole component thing is just to hold me over until my adapter comes in. Maybe I should hit up APE for a RGB mod on my N64 in the mean time, since I need to have that internally modded for RGB anyway.
    Last edited by wingzrow; 10-20-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

GameCube RGB at this point requires the rare hard to find Component Cables. Those cables have the chip inside that creates Component Video but can be modified for RGB. Lucky for me I have two of them (one RGB modified, the other un-modded). I know the newer GameCubes have just the regular A/V Port but I don't have any information on those motherboards. I know that the PAL units can output RGB to the A/V Port but I don't know if the NTSC boards are similar to the PAL ones. Info on the GC motherboards is virtually non-existant as far as I was able to find on Google.

The PS1 and PS2 have tons of service manuals and schematics online on which to dissect those consoles. To date I haven't found anything like that for ANY Nintendo console, not even for the original NES.

As for RGB modding the N64, I found that it is best to go with a mod that taps into the raw digital video signals and creates RGB from them as this will make it compatible with all board revisions instead of trying to locate one where you can tap into the weak RGB signals off the board. There's not too many of those older RGB boards floating around. Oh, and there's another type of N64 RGB mod board that was revealed recently where it not only creates the RGB signal but upscans them to VGA! Me want.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    RGB is full bandwidth. You get the full enchilada.
    Ok, look, if you bought one of these Sony monitors, then you want to use it for it's full value. Running emulators on it, totally defeats the purpose. You want the "natural", "true" analog RGB signal to be fed to the monitor. Running an emulator on an RGB monitor is a total waste of time. You might as well should have bought a 4:3 TV that has a vga input, so you can connect your PC to it.
    I don't agree with this. It's very easy to get a PC to output a "true" analog RGB signal in the native resolution and timings of pretty much any game console. The only noticable differences you will see are possibly some extremely light amounts of latency in the inputs, and a bit of screen stuttering that plagues all emulators.

And since as you have stated that it is rather difficult to get RGB out of certain systems this seems like a perfectly good, and probably more economical solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got myself a female to two female RCA adapter at radiooshack today. The good news is it works, I get stereo just fine by plugging in the audio straight from my wii's component cables. The bad news is these logitec speakers are junk! I've never tested them up till now, but they give me a sort of echo, and some noticeable random static. I don't think it's the adapter, since these are pretty cheap speakers.

So what speakers do you guys recommend I buy?

I doubt it, but does walmart carry anything that's actually decent?

I wouldn't mind buying some PC speakers from there, at least to hold me over until I find something better. Hell, anything would be better than the speakers I have now, even the built in mono speaker from the PVM it's self sounds better.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the speakers 'm stuck with. I don't think you could find cheaper speakers if you tried. They are awfully loud though.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2j6txk.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Congrats and looks great. I've got about 5-6 RGB capable CRTs. Three of them are Sony PVMs. Once you go RGB CRT it's hard to go back to anything else.

One day I'd like to be able to pick up an NEC XM29 or two or three lol, however those never seem to show up in my neck of the woods.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a pair of Altec Lansing speakers like these with the subwoofer and I've always thought they sounded very nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansin...item4d05ea1a2c