Thread: Ever gotten so mad at a game you broke a controller, cartridge or even the console?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ancient Scribe Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ever gotten so mad at a game you broke a controller, cartridge or even the console?

I generally only shout at games when they piss me off. I try not to get physical with them. I'm more likely to punch myself in the head or tear fistfuls of my hair out. lol. But when I was a teenager it was a different story... I vaguely remember a few times I actually squeezed the Playstation controller so hard that I was lucky it didn't break, and numerous times that I ripped a cartridge out of my Colecovision or Atari 2600 Adapter and threw it across the room. But my best friend at the time was way worse than me. He actually picked up his Nintendo one day and threw it out of his window (he lived on the first floor). It went crashing across the sidewalk and landed in the gutter, ruined. I couldn't believe it. A week later he'd bought a new one. There was also one time he came over to my place to play games with me and actually hit my NES a couple times with his fist because he was mad at the game he was playing, and I had to tell him to stop or I'd kick his ass.

Please tell your story if you have one, and be sure to include which game you were playing at the time if you remember (not just which console), what it was that got you so mad, what you broke and how you broke it. Because I'm bored, and enquiring minds wanna know.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

No, never. Someone has anger issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<@#$!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend, Michael, and I use to play Tekken 5 religiously on the PS2. He taught me how to play the Tekken series starting out at Tekken Tag and he initially dominated me like a wizened old kung fu master. However, after much practice we became equals around 4 and, eventually, I began to dominate in 5. Michael, a rather proud fellow, did not take this well. He went out and bought a fighter stick (joystick), claiming that the d-pad controller was hampering his skills. A marathon of matches ensued with me crushing the utter shit out of him. I had became so much better than Michael that I actually held back or picked weak characters so as not to break his spirit, but not this time. No. I was irritated by his lame excuse. I beat him so thoroughly, so horribly over and over and over again that he just f*cking snapped. Lifting the controller over his head, he screamed and slammed it down into the ground, sending a geyser of plastic and electronic parts spraying up almost to the ceiling of our two story loft apartment. Although I was upset that he just destroyed an expensive joystick, I was also incomparably satisfied. The destruction of this new joystick was more than an awesome physical token of my supremacy over him; it was a sacrifice made to a god from the hands of a lowly mortal [no pride on my part, eh?]. Naturally with my friend as enraged and well armed with firearms as he was, I kept this thought to myself.

Mike and I didn't play Tekken again until Dark Resurrection for the PS3 came out. Needless to say, I always used half a fist on him from then on.
    Last edited by treismac; 10-19-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LMAO! I don't think I ever got mad at someone else whipping my ass in a game until I started playing Killzone online with my aforementioned friend (the one who broke his NES) and his cousin. His cousin became so incredibly good practically overnight that I swore he must have found some kind of cheat. He would dance around us like we were clumsy children. We would shoot at him and never hit a vital area if we hit him at all. But he would shoot at us and it was always a head shot. It got so bad that he was killing us within like six seconds after we respawned. I couldn't understand how he kept finding us. He swore up and down that he wasn't cheating, but finally I gave up and didn't play anymore when he was playing. It wasn't fun not being able to get two feet before you got your head blown off.

But what got me mad most of the time were the games themselves, especially when there were certain areas in a game that at first seemed impossible, and I had to keep trying them over and over and over again, but kept dying... especially if the game was easy at first and then all of a sudden got wickedly difficult. I hated that. Super Mario World had a lot of areas that really pissed me off. But the worst were things like in Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance when you were in the thieves' guild and it was moderately difficult until all of a sudden they threw this stupid seemingly endless succession of areas with things like towers throwing fireballs at you and rocks floating in mid-air over an abyss that fell as soon as you jumped on them, so you had to quickly jump to the next one, and that one fell, and so on... aaaargggh!!! It makes me blood boil just thinking about it.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only one time in my life.

I was playing through Final Fantasy III for SNES when I took it a friends house. I was 99% of the way to the end of the game with almost all the side-quests completed.

I plugged the cartridge into the SNES and flipped the power on switch and nothing happened. The SNES didn't come on because the DC power adapter wasn't plugged in.

This particular power adapter of his was sort of finicky, and if you barely touched it it would go off and back on.

Now, in hindsight I knew full well that using a battery backed game with this situation was a bad idea. But I forgot about it at the time.

I plugged in the power adapter with the power switch to the system in the ON position. The system came on and then back off again. I touched the power adapter another time and it did the same thing. One more time.

That time it worked, but when I started the game my saves were wiped.

I ripped that power adapter out of my best friends wall and smashed it against the carpet covered concrete floor of his room. He predictably flipped out, but took it a little better when I told him I would replace it from my own spares the next day. I think the same thing had been happening to him for years.

Now how many games have I given the old double middle finger F**K YOU at a game over screen? Countless...countless.
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 10-19-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    No, never. Someone has anger issues.
    Anger issues has nothing to do with it man - I know lots of gamers who only get frazzled over games, including myself.

My worst rage moment..which my cousins usually remind me of often, was when I threw my Genesis into the wall when I was like 10 years old because I just couldn't pull off the secret finishing moves in Eternal Champions. I tried over and over and over and they were able to pull them off pretty quickly. I've also put my controllers through all sorts of hell, luckily I haven't gotten that frustrated...newer controllers just aren't built that sturdy anymore lol.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

It's been 20 years or more, but my NES controllers have teeth marks in them for a reason.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Froboz View Post
    I'm more likely to punch myself in the head or tear fistfuls of my hair out. lol.
    Seriously? Dude, that's messed up. There's no "lol" about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the pulling fistfuls of my hair out part was a gross exaggeration. As for the punching myself in the head, yes, you're right. And I should've mentioned that I don't do that anymore. I was a pretty messed up kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've broke 3 Xbox 360 controllers paying COD online...lets just say 360 controllers brake real easy if you throw them down on the carpet.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

It seems like a lot of people are discussing friends so ill bring up my best friend Steve. U have never done that the most I've done was like punch the ground and get angry for a moment. Steve on the other hand gets angry to easily. When his Xbox kept freezing and wouldn't load Call Of Duty (he's a modern gamer not me) he actually threw his $80 modded Xbox 360 controller at the wall smashing it to pieces. Another time he threw one at the floor and the case broke but thankfully the controller was alright. Another time he threw one and it knocked over and broke a lamp. He's got some throwing and possibly anger issues hahaha .
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]