Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
A 48 million loss for videogaming at Sony is almost nothing. Unless Sony itself goes under, I don't see the videogaming division being a target for draconian cuts. It has traditionally been a very profitable enterprise for Sony and it seems as if they've done much over the past 5 years to get the ship righted and headed back in that direction after scores of poor decisions in the middle half of the past decade.

I have to think that the Vita is an important aspect of their plans for the future. But who knows, they sure don't seem to be trying particularly hard on the software side of things. So maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

I think it would be a shame, a poor business decision, and would greatly hurt their reputation in this industry if they were to let this thing just wither on the vine.
I agree that $48 million is not massive in relation to a company the size of Sony. At the same time, that's a quarterly loss, so if that continues and becomes $200 million for the fiscal year, that would be a substantial concern. The fact also remains that this isn't a one time event and the video game division has either lost money or produced very minimal profit since the time of the PS3 launch almost six years ago now. Personally, I consider myself a Sony fan and every TV and DVD and Blu Ray player in our house is a Sony (well except for my Samsung and Toshiba Nuons) and I own a PSOne, PS2, PSP, PSP Go and Vita.

I am very concerned about the apparent lack of support for both the PS3 and Vita on the exclusive software side. I'm not super excited about products like Wonderbook, LBP Karting or Playstation All Stars Battle Royale and I'm holding out hope that some of the PS3 games that were shown at E3 this year will be released fairly early in the year to offset what has been a fairly disappointing few months. I guess I expected more when Sony announced that there would be a consistent flow of software coming out for the Vita, but it turns out that it's really been about the same as the PSP.