Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh joy, my first seller dispute

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Oh joy, my first seller dispute

I'll leave out the gory details for now.

Here's what it comes down to: after I had received payment for my item and promptly shipped it, one hour later the seller files a "not as described claim", having suddenly realized that the listing title and the description and the note I included with the invoice describes something other than what he thought he was bidding on. >_<

I told him I would refund the purchase price (about ten bucks) after he did a return-to-sender on the package. I have no intention of refunding the shipping fee (also about ten bucks). At least the package is tracked.

Paypal isn't actually going to side with the buyer in this case, is it?
    Last edited by Jorpho; 10-24-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

If he filed a not as described claim because he didn't read the listing, then PayPal should side with you. But it's a crapshoot...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    If he filed a not as described claim because he didn't read the listing, then PayPal should side with you. But it's a crapshoot...
    I think he has a chance if he fights it. A "not as described claim" is only valid if the item is delivered in a condition that deviates from the listing. An idiot who thought he was getting something different due to a lack of reading comprehension doesn't have much of a claim.

However, as you said, it's always a crapshoot with eBay and PayPal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Say, if a buyer opens a dispute, but never actually escalates it to a "claim" before the time limit expires, does that mean that the seller keeps the money and that there is no more recourse?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0) b1aCkDeA7h's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Say, if a buyer opens a dispute, but never actually escalates it to a "claim" before the time limit expires, does that mean that the seller keeps the money and that there is no more recourse?
    A claim is when PayPal actually steps in to arbitrate and make a decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, but the buyer actually has to escalate the dispute to a claim within a certain time window. What happens if the dispute isn't escalated in that time frame?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, but the buyer actually has to escalate the dispute to a claim within a certain time window. What happens if the dispute isn't escalated in that time frame?
    I believe it automatically closes and the buyer can't dispute it again.

I thought you couldn't open a not as described claim until after the estimated delivery date?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In this case the buyer opened a "Non-receipt" dispute less than an hour or two after I marked the item as shipped (with a tracking number).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

... what the fuck? No way is eBay going to let that slide. Call up customer support and complain.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I believe what should now happen is that they'll receive the item, tracking will say so, and the dispute will be closed in your favor. And after that I don't think they can open any other claim or dispute, so you should be good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It sure is a good thing I got tracking this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    And after that I don't think they can open any other claim or dispute, so you should be good.
    My concern is that said buyer (having my E-mail address, mailing address, and eBay account) will subsequently see fit to engage in some protracted, extremely annoying, and not especially legal campaign of harassment. Maybe I am too paranoid. I'm going to give him a full refund (and eat the shipping costs) if he returns the package like I asked, but I'm not sure that will happen.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 10-28-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're refunding his purchase WITHOUT him returning the item?

Why exactly are you doing something that could so easily backfire on you?

He could just pocket the item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Uh, no, Jorpho said he'd refund the money AFTER the item is returned to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ugh, I don't think I'm getting my item back. Looks like I'm just going to have to wait for the dispute to expire.

By the way, eBay generally won't remove completely unjustified negative feedback, will they? (This guide suggests you need to get a solicitor.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh, I don't think I'm getting my item back. Looks like I'm just going to have to wait for the dispute to expire.

By the way, eBay generally won't remove completely unjustified negative feedback, will they? (This guide suggests you need to get a solicitor.)
    I've been negged because a reader never read the listing carefully, then negatived me right at the 3 month feedback limit. By that point, I couldn't petition the feedback with eBay outside of asking the buyer to remove it, which he completely ignored me. I had even called into customer service and of course got nowhere.

It went away after a year and I'm technically 100% again, though if you scour my history, you'll still see the negative.

It was then I realized, eBay will totally side with a buyer in I'd say 90% of circumstances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone left me a neutral saying I sold their e-mail address info to an advertising website and they wouldn't do anything about it.

Over the phone they basically told me I would have to take it to court to prove they were slandering me out of nowhere.

They never removed it, so don't expect them to do anything.

IO still don't know what that feedback was about...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, after a week and a half the buyer finally decided to do a return to sender on the package. (And, thanks again to tracking, I know exactly when he did it and where the package is. Yay tracking!)

I'm still worried, though. This guy does have nearly forty feedback points, but what if the package is empty when it comes back? Or what if the contents are smeared with excrement or otherwise rendered unsellable? Fortunately I have the exact original weight of the package thanks to my post office receipt; I was thinking if it comes back as noticeably different, I could open the package up on video and add the private Youtube URL to the dispute record.

But... Would that really be worth fighting? I don't want to have to wrestle with a psycho, not over just $20! But then, if I don't, what if he tries to pull the same stunt again later?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just videotape opening his package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, turns out the package is fine. Unfortunately, I had to pay Canada Post ten bucks to get the item back anyway, so I'm still out twenty bucks. At least I can try to re-sell the item again, I guess.

Now that that's over with, I suppose I might as well show you what the fuss was about.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/120999961459

The buyer told me he planned to fix it and give it to his kids, that he didn't bother reading to the end of the title, and that I was being deceptive for including technical information.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 11-14-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just had my first dispute.....apparently the SMS i shipped was damaged during shipping...still works, but it has a hole in it now. I told the guy to ship it back and I'd refund him....I feel bad about it, but not much else I can do.