Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of these Saturn games should I buy?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Which of these Saturn games should I buy?

So, a local store has the following Saturn games that have piqued my interest:

* Alien Trilogy
    * Quake (not a fan of the PC version but I heard the Saturn one is awesome)
    * some sort of 3-pack that features Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 and (I think) Daytona USA
    * In the Hunt
    * Creature Shock

And I'm sure there were more. The 3-pack is $20 but the others are all $10

Also, they have one import Saturn game, Street Fighter: Real Battle on Film (kind of a strange title, innit? I mean, I mean, it's actually a Fake Battle on Optical Disk). This is the Japanese version of SF The Movie The Game. Store wants $25 for this. It looks sealed, but I think its a re-seal.

Also any other Saturn games I should keep an eye out for in particular?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The top Saturn game to always look out for is Radiant Silvergun, but its expensive as hell. Also the ones released in America would be the Nights and Panzer Dragoon games. And Princess Crown is a beautiful 2D side scrolling game that was never imported. The no 2D policy the president of Sega America had really messed up the Saturn here I think.

Stay away from the Street Fighter game, its only note worthy for a music video at the end that has most of the cast from the movie in it walking around as the band plays, cant find it on youtube though. Terrible looking game otherwise.

For variety Id go with the 3 in 1 pack, and if I were to buy another itd be Quake.

The Saturn has a ton of awesome arcade shooter game ports. It doesnt have a great RPG library, because of the President of Sega America again, if he had stayed at Sony Final Fantasy 7 wouldnt be the way we know it and probably wouldnt have made the RPG genre explode in America. Mainly the best games are the 2D games that stayed in Japan.
    http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/...ps-2d-shooters

And heres another link of great other kinds of games for the saturn http://www.racketboy.com/retro/games...ed-sega-saturn
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 11-02-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'd go with Alien Trilogy and In the Hunt (actually if it were me, I'd buy em all cuz i collect saturn but already have those ones).

Alien Trilogy is a pretty decent FPS for its time. The environments can get a bit stale but its still fun. In the Hunt is a side scrolling shooter where you are in a submarine. Its fun but hard. The games in the triple pack are always the easiest to find when there are saturn games available at stores and you could those 3 for less than $20. I'd say go with Quake too, but if you didn't like it on PC, you may not on Saturn either. I would have picked up Creature Shock because its one that I don't have yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember working used retail in the 90's and we literally couldn't give away those 3-pack bundles !

I'd go with the 3-pack and In the Hunt to start with

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Pick up the 3-pack, forget the rest. Buy these titles:

Rayman
    World Series Baseball '98
    Astal
    Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei
    NiGHTS into Dreams...
    Worldwide Championship Soccer '98
    Winter Heat
    Virtual On
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Fighters Megamix
    Sega Rally Championship Edition
    Darius Gaiden
    NBA Jam T.E.
    Galactic Attack
    Daytona USA

Insert Coin (Level 0) SaturnHST's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In The Hunt for $10 is a steal. Go for that one. I usually see it for around $30.

That 3 pack is too expensive. I recently got a few of them factory sealed for $5 each.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Fighter 2 is $13 without the box but with manual at the store near me. :/ The first one is $10 complete. And $5 for that bootleg sampler disk that came with it. All the other demo disks they have are $1.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 11-02-2012 at 11:20 AM.

GET READY Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's a little odd that the store wants 20 dollars for the 3 Free Games pack, seeing as the games on their own and in the complete bundle are usually very cheap (about a dollar or two for each game and a couple more for the whole pack). I even got mine free when I bought my Sega Saturn about a year ago, heh!

The Saturn version of Quake isn't entirely different from the PC version, and the only major difference is the engine that is used, which is the Slavedriver engine that was also used in the Duke Nukem 3D port for the Saturn. It also had a handful of extra levels, but I'm not completely sure on that one. Otherwise, it's mostly the same game.

All in all, I'd recommend purchasing In The Hunt and maybe Alien Trilogy, seeing as the Quake port is mostly the same as the PC version and you can definitely find the 3 Free Games pack at a much cheaper price. Hope you find some more Saturn classics!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buy an Action Replay cart and buy Space Harrier, the best version IMO and can be gotten usually pretty cheap and Soukyugurentai Otokuyo if you like shooters. Kinda climbing in price but nowhere near the Radiant Silvergun or Hyper Duel prices and far more fun, at least to me...In the Hunt and Alien Trilogy for sure to answer your original question, Do know that In the Hunt is a lot of fun but suffers from some massive slowdown on most levels, though it's welcome to aid some of the more intense shoot-outs, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

* Alien Trilogy
    * some sort of 3-pack that features Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 and (I think) Daytona USA
    * In the Hunt
    * Creature Shock
    Alien Trilogy was a really fun, well made FPS. It does start to look "samey" after a while, though, so don't expect a lot of variety in the environments.

I'm not sure if you would like Quake if you already didn't care for the PC version. However, the game is was coded by Lobotomy (Powerslave, Duke Nukem) and it has their classic touch. You can tell they had a passion for what they were doing, going beyond what was required. It's very well coded, has TONS of extras and secrets packed into the game. The hidden in game Dank and Skuzz comic was hilarious, some of the exclusive secret stages are pretty wild, and there are many cheats and secret codes. The game plays best with the 3D controller though. I personally dont recommend getting it unless you have the Analog pad.

As some have already stated the 3-pack is awesome. All three games are must have titles for the Saturn, but you can find those games for MUCH less than 20 bucks. So I would skip it for that price.

In the hunt is great. Its very similar to Metal Slug... With a submarine. The Saturn port was a tad sloppy and resulted in some areas having needless slowdown. Though nothing terrible, I felt it should be mentioned as some people have issues with it. I'm not one of those people.

Creature Shock was one of the first Saturn games my buddy bought back in the day and we had a lot of fun with it, but in reality it really was a fairly crappy (albeit fun) game. So I would recommend any of the games over this one.

If you don't have the 3D pad I would get Alien Trilogy and In the Hunt. If you do have the 3D pad I would get Quake and In the Hunt. Hope this helps.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Cop requires light gun, AFAIK, so if you don't have that you are limited to only 2 games playable on the 3-pack.

That may factor into the equation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Virtua Cop requires light gun, AFAIK, so if you don't have that you are limited to only 2 games playable on the 3-pack.

That may factor into the equation.
    Actually, Virtua Cop can be played without the light gun, but it might take away from most of the enjoyment of the game, so if you can, I'd recommend purchasing a light gun whenever you can find a less pricey 3-Free Games pack. They are reasonably priced on Amazon, going from about 20-25, and I'm sure you could find it for a cheaper price if you take a look around some other sites or stores! If you do go this route, I'd definitely recommend buying House Of The Dead too if you don't already own it, just make sure you get an imported copy, as an American copy goes for around 70+ dollars nowadays, whereas the Japanese version (like most Saturn games) is notably much cheaper, heh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

* Alien Trilogy
    * In the Hunt
    * Creature Shock
    Get In the Hunt.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

For $10? In the Hunt, DEFINITELY. I don't even have to think about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Actually I do intend to pick up a Stunner at some point, along with the light gun games. I just played House of the Dead on Nebula and I love it, though I'm given to understand (thanks to the HVGN) that the Saturn port is a notable downgrade. Still, it's either that, or find an actual arcade PCB.

Okay, new question: If I could only buy games or an Action Replay this month, which would be the better investment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, unless you already own a few imported titles, the Action Replay on it's own would only let you use cheat codes and save games (although it can only store saves, you can't load them directly from the cartridge to my understanding), which might not be very useful if you don't have many games right now. I'd definitely go for buying some games now and waiting to buy the Action Replay, and then buy yourself a few import games to play. Of course, if you feel it would be a better investment to go ahead and buy the Action Replay so you wouldn't have to later, that's also a viable option for you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I actually do own a pair of imports--Capcom Generation 2 and the other Street Fighter collection (The one that comes with Zero 2 Alpha). But these are all games available on other systems too, so I hadn't gotten around to getting an AR yet. Since I want House of the Dead though...

Okay, so I went to the game store today and picked up Quake, In the Hunt, and Galaxy Fight (I forgot to mention they had this one).

Okay, I actually already have In the Hunt via the Irem Arcade Hits collection, but its nice to have a console port and anyway, if I decide I don't want it I was thinking it might be trade bait. Same for Quake, although the more compact level design seems to have made the game more fun, also it seems like it dropped the awful hard rock soundtrack from the PC in favor of more atmospheric music. I dunno, it might be a keeper. BTW where's the portal for Hard mode?

Nothing is getting me to part with Galaxy Fight though.

I also found out today that the store has the Saturn version of Mortal Kombat II... but its disc-only. Asking price is $10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually do own a pair of imports--Capcom Generation 2 and the other Street Fighter collection (The one that comes with Zero 2 Alpha). But these are all games available on other systems too, so I hadn't gotten around to getting an AR yet. Since I want House of the Dead though...

I also found out today that the store has the Saturn version of Mortal Kombat II... but its disc-only. Asking price is $10.
    If you do buy the AR soon, may I suggest buying Gradius Deluxe Pack? It's a fantastic compilation of two of my favorite shoot-em-ups of all time, but it was only ever released in Japan to my knowledge. Regardless, they were ported wonderfully and it's a nice import to have!

I never understood the decision for Sega using the long-box type cases for it's CD and Saturn games, as they were always prone to breaking and are hard to find nowadays, and as such, it's not too surprising that the game is disc-only. I'm actually in the process of making standard size jewel case variations of the cover art for my American Saturn games since I don't have the original case for any of them, heh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the Hunt is better on Playstation. I'd go for Alien Trilogy. Quake is great, but if you already don't like it on PC, you're probably not going to change your mind. The 3 pack is nice, but it's not worth $20. Creature Shock is just okay, I had fun with it but it's hard to recommend it. I do like Galaxy Fight, it's not top-tier but it is unique.

Don't bother with Mortal Kombat II. It's not a good port.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Value wise In the Hunt for the Saturn is worth about $30 or more if it's in excellent condition, I have it on PS1 but I still haven't played it so I can't comment on how good it is. It's supposedly Metal Slug with a submarine. The 3-pack isn't worth the asking price, I've passed on copies of this for under $10.

I'm sure there are other threads on Saturn games if you wanted to know which ones to keep an eye out for.