Thread: Review Series Idea I Have

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Review Series Idea I Have

Its about a kid who did something to piss off his uncle so he has to play old school games to get his newer ones back. It takes place in the future, but it doesnt matter what year it is since hes playing old games and you dont go outside his room. He doesnt like the games, the controls and the way they look, but theyre so different that they kick his ass all the time. So you laugh at him as he cant understand how to play Mario Bros. Itll kinda make fun of current game systems and certain stereotypes of gamers, but itll also criticize past mistakes companies made. Itll definitely target an audience of people who love older games, but its not going to act like all of gaming went to hell after a certain year or generation.

Now I just need a mic to use for my lines over the game footage and pictures related to the games. I dont want to be on camera, or for people to see where I live.

Im going to make sure the words "shit" or "ass" never appear in an episode.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, itd be better to give constructive or mean criticism instead of just rating it one star.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    You know, itd be better to give constructive or mean criticism instead of just rating it one star.
    Unfortunately the system doesn't allow me to give your idea zero stars.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, youre clearly insane so..... :P

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone who cares deeply about classic gaming, the idea of a show where someone is forced to play them as punishment doesn't sound very appealing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    As someone who cares deeply about classic gaming, the idea of a show where someone is forced to play them as punishment doesn't sound very appealing.
    Unless your name is Shinya Arino and you have a deep and undying love of video games that somehow shines through all your pain.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The thing I don't like about your idea is the notion of wrapping a storyline around a game review. I mean, why can't you just... review the game?

Seriously, there are sometimes where having a storyline works, but generally only when there's not much to say about the game itself (like AVGN's take on NWC). It annoys me most times when a storyline or some sort of continuity overshadows the review itself.

Also, being punished with retro games pretty much only locks you into being an Angry Reviewer, which is an internet fad that's pretty much run its course. We don't need another one.

Now, change it to a kid who hates the newschool and wants the oldschool to take over the world, and maybe we'll talk.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, its just that everyone who reviews games says the same old things about them, or they says stuff you already know about the game. So itd be from a different perspective going in and that way things could be addressed that arent said.
    A main point of the show is to laugh at the character, so its a love of old games over all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At first I thought this thread was a joke, now I know that you are serious.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I should just play the games and "intentionally" suck at them? Thatd be funny.

GET READY Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most review shows with a story never really catch my eye all that much, and tend to shift focus from reviewing to an ongoing plot thread, a continuing trend among many reviewers these days. Generally, review shows with gimmicks has become a cliched video series on the internet, and they have all but saturated the video game content on Youtube. The best thing you could do if you do want to review games in a video format is to analyze them and write a detailed, meaningful review with various points towards your opinion of the game. A character to become on camera or a framing device aren't necessary to achieve this, of course, and it would be better to place that effort into the review and production values surrounding the video. Good luck if you really intend to make this!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Maybe I should just play the games and "intentionally" suck at them? Thatd be funny.
    Maybe the story should be more like the uncle makes the kid play the games and eventually the kid grows to like them better than his new ones?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats the ultimate goal I had in mind, but i dont know how many episodes to make where that is becoming more apparent, and as that happens thins change in tone. So there are things i have to work out

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just do a few episodes with the ideas you have in mind as an experiment, and see how the Youtube community receives it. Then afterwards, maybe ask for opinions. You could always pull your videos if you wanted to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go for it if you truly are passionate about the idea. Write a good script for each episode, create an interesting character, then make it happen.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

Do it man. There will be a lot of nay sayers no matter what youre trying to do. If youre passionate about it and youre happy with the end product and you have fun doing it, thats all that matters. Im sure it will appeal to someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cholkavich View Post
    Do it man. There will be a lot of nay sayers no matter what youre trying to do. If youre passionate about it and youre happy with the end product and you have fun doing it, thats all that matters. Im sure it will appeal to someone.
    Absolutely this. In the end, it's your time, effort, and love you put into whatever series you do. If you do it for those reasons, it doesn't really matter who says what to you. Look at the fanboy fights between AVGN and Irate Gamer, and at the people who give Derek Alexander crap over the Happy Nerd knockoff series. Look at the shows on RetrowareTV and the user-submitted ones.

Don't go in expecting everyone to like your work, but make yourself happy, and always strive to improve. The solution for the naysayers is to stop watching if they don't like your content.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

And that's the important thing. You have to have PASSION for the subject matter. If you don't actually care or have any strong attachment (or strong urge to destroy) the games you talk about, the show is gonna fall apart.

The thing to keep in mind is its not easy, even if you're trying to half-ass it. I tried to put together a review of my own not long ago, and playing a game and recording footage were easy.... but when it came time to put it into review form, I realized it was a lot of work and lost a lot of my passion. It didn't help that I had picked a game I thought I was going to praise only to find that I didn't still have a passion for it as an adult.

Also, if you live in a trailer, don't bother.

Cubs, pubs and bubs. sneekyweezel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb

Awesome concept, good idea- you got it! I'd watch it.