Thread: PS3 passes safety certification in China, valid to 2016 [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb PS3 passes safety certification in China, valid to 2016 [Joystiq]

The PlayStation 3 received regulatory approval in China via the China Compulsory Certificate, which outlines safety requirements for participation in the Chinese market. Sony was granted the Certificate in July and it is valid through 2016.

Consoles in general have been banned in China since 2000, though customers are able to purchase them as grey market imports - this means the consoles are legally bought and sold, though the transactions stem from third parties not affiliated with console manufacturers. Other consoles, such as China's own Eedoo, can be sold under the label of "home entertainment devices."

Last we heard of Sony scoping out the Chinese PS3 market, it signed a letter of intent to implement training and R & D buildings in Guangzhou province, and hinted at developing games in the region. July's Certificate doesn't guarantee PS3 sales in China, but it's certainly a step toward a console incursion in the Asian mainland.PS3 passes safety certification in China, valid to 2016 originally appeared on Joystiq on Sun, 04 Nov 2012 19:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Is this a joke? Safety requirements for consumer devices sold in China? I guess they don't buy anything made domestically, then.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Seems weird that most consoles are "banned" there, since that's where they're made in the first place. Not that I think your average Chinese person has the sort of disposable income to spend on a PS3 anyway. I'm betting a lot of those supposed "gray" market "imports" are actually stolen from the factories and sold a lot cheaper.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I figured the Chinese government would ban the PS3 because it's Japanese, and allow the 360. Which is also made there.