Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why console gaming is dying - CNN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why console gaming is dying - CNN

Nintendo can't be happy about the image they went with.

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_c3

If console gaming were a first-person shooter, it would be taking heavy fire right now. A red hue would envelop the viewable screen from all sides, an ominous sign of spilled blood.

Or worse, near-death.

Despite this, Nintendo will release its new Wii U console on November 18, ushering in the eighth and possibly last generation of traditional home consoles as we know them.

Consider this: Dedicated gaming sales — including living-room consoles and handhelds — are in the midst of a four-year tailspin. You might say that's because of a bad economy, but then you'd have to explain why movie revenue and cable TV subscriptions have largely stayed the same.

Or why music sales, gutted by online streaming and piracy, have held up better than slumping sales of console games. Or why the popularity of social, mobile and PC games have skyrocketed to unthinkable heights.
    Hands on with the next Nintendo Wii

The problem seems to be isolated to dedicated video games. Video game industry sales in the United States, including game discs, consoles and accessories, were down 24% in September when compared with the same period last year. Many experts believe these decreases in profits, the rise of casual and social gaming and waning consumer interest are affecting makers of the three big living-room consoles: Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii.

So is this it then? Is the death of dedicated gaming upon us? In a word, no.

"I bristle when people suggest as much," says Adrian Crook, a game design consultant. "Consoles will grow again and will never go away."

But today's dedicated gaming business is arguably in its most tumultuous period since the 1983 gaming collapse. It's nowhere near ruin yet, thanks to big franchises like "Call of Duty," "Madden," and a select few mainstream console games. But the console's influence is waning, and there's uncertainty about its future.

Here's where the shots at console gaming are coming from, and how the industry might dodge and counter them.

Trojan horses

Since the '80s, console makers have dreamed of using their "dedicated gaming machines" as Trojan horses to further control the living room with a single, proprietary device.

That time has come. Gaming consoles have transformed into entertainment hubs for people to stream movies or YouTube videos. So much, in fact, that gaming consoles no longer are being used primarily for gaming. In fact, "40% of all Xbox activity now is non-game," Microsoft boasts. Amazon and Netflix streaming accounts for most of that, as they do for Wii and PS3.

Combined, game consoles account for half of all Netflix users. This is great news for the movie industry. Not so great for console gaming's bottom line, especially since the industry largely subsidizes consoles now.
    I'd sooner pay nothing up front and $5 to $10 later than plunk down $60 on a game and hope I like it.
    Adrian Crook, game design consultant

In other words, a console isn't helping the gaming industry if it's mainly being used to stream Netflix movies.

Not only that, but gamers' tastes have evolved to include quick, bite-size gaming sessions -- something consoles have never been good at. (Gamers must go to the living room, wait for the console to power on, load the game from the main menu, wait for it to boot.) It's much slower than tapping an icon on the smartphone you already carry in your pocket.

"Most people who liked console games in the past still do today," says Alex Hutchinson, creative director of Ubisoft, "but they're also looking for a wider spread of experiences. I want some games I can play quickly after work or while the kids are asleep and have a short satisfying experience."

As the number of gaming scenarios has increased, so, too, has the number of diehard gamers, says market researcher DFC Intelligence.

"Gamers have not only increased in number, but they are playing on multiple platforms now," says analyst David Cole. "Fewer enthusiasts describe themselves in a single camp such as 'I love Nintendo and hate Sony and Microsoft' or vice versa."

If enthusiasm for a single dedicated machine has waned, however — or at least has been spread thin — then the machine that demands the most attention will invariably suffer. That machine is the console — the one you hold dear to your heart, but probably reach for less than you used to, whether you like to admit it or not.

Creative stagnation?

When it's not taking a backseat to more convenient app gaming, some say the console has stagnated creatively.

"You would think that XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade), PSN (PlayStation Network), and the rise of 'free to play' would have opened a door to smaller games that can take more risks creatively, but right now they're just cut-down versions of box-product games, or retreads of games I played on the SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)," says Hutchinson, referring to the online gaming networks offered by Microsoft and Sony.

"I don't honestly think that someone who didn't want a 2-D platformer 20 years ago is going to wake up today and buy it on XBLA."
    We need to offer more experiences that are understandable to people's real lives.
    Alex Hutchinson of Ubisoft

In addition, even big-box games have lost some of their visual allure in recent years. What were once graphical leaps in previous generations have now become bunny hops, at least to the average eye.

"People aren't as motivated by cutting-edge graphics as they once were," says Paul Neurath, creative director at Zynga, makers of "FarmVille," "Mafia Wars" and other social games on Facebook.

"Gamers that care intensely about graphics will continue to do so, but I think there are fewer now than there were in the past," he says. "Big leaps in graphics no longer exist. Unless there's some futuristic holographic display or direct brain implement we don't know about, it's hard to get a lot better."

Cole, the gaming analyst, agrees.

"Cutting-edge graphics in the past amounted to nothing more than killer CGI videos that added nothing to gameplay," he said. "That's a problem for an industry that up until recently prided itself on "buy this console because the games look a lot better than the ones you currently own.'"

In that sense, next-generation is no longer "next." We've arrived. Looking back, NES was certainly a step above Atari and imprecise joysticks. SNES and Genesis offered a huge leap in affordable home graphics. PlayStation and N64 immersed players into 3-D worlds replete with camera control. PlayStation 2 and Xbox overcame polygons in favor of rounded and non-jaggy looks. All of these were improvements upon previous generations of gaming systems.

But this current generation of consoles? With the exception of the early Wii years, they've largely offered better-looking versions of games we've already played. There have been a lot of great games to be sure, but fewer must-haves — the kind that truly take the medium into uncharted territory.

Rise of cheap, social gaming

On the other hand, cheap, bite-size games such as "Angry Birds" and "Plants vs. Zombies" have thrived in recent years, ensnaring new players with novel gameplay.

"Virtually all of my clients are in social and mobile sectors, which have totally exploded in the last few years and continue unabated today," says Crook, who previously worked as a console designer.

As such, the demand for games has grown. "It's not so much that gamer interests have changed since the last generation, but that a whole group of new players have started playing games," says Zynga's Neurath. "These people would never have played last-generation console games. They're more into it for the social aspect."

Console makers so far have been ill-equipped to meet this demand, given their lucrative, 30-year-old model of selling games for $50-$60.
    The Wii U\'s handheld controller displays a game during a presentation by developers Ubisoft.
    The Wii U's handheld controller displays a game during a presentation by developers Ubisoft.

This partly explains why Nintendo, after five years of phenomenal Wii growth, is slumping. Industry experts say they're not in a position to meet the demands of most new social gamers.

We'll soon find out whether the Wii U can revive Nintendo's fortunes. The console's big new feature is a 6.2-inch touchscreen GamePad controller that interacts in creative new ways with the gamers' TV. Wii U players can play together, with one person using a TV screen and the other using the GamePad. A single player also can access additional content on the GamePad that enhances the game on the big screen.

Nintendo declined to comment for this story.

In a struggling economy, consoles also have fallen victim to the cut-rate pricing of games -- something consumers are exceedingly demanding but consoles have yet to offer.

In what has become a successful business model, many developers give away their games for free, then charge players later for status upgrades or gameplay perks.

"Say what you want about freemium, 'nickel and diming' of players, but I'd sooner pay nothing up front and $5 to $10 later than plunk down $60 on a game and hope I like it," says Crook.

Ubisoft's Hutchinson refers to it as a rising "fear" among console gamers. With so many deals to be had elsewhere, a lot of console gamers are making fewer full-price purchases than before.

"The free-to-play model has certainly impacted the industry," agrees Zynga's Neurath.

On top of that, 99¢ iPhone and iPad games are also taking a toll on the perceived value of dedicated gaming systems. Even PC games go on sale for as little as $5-$20 on occasion, a trend that has breathed new life into PC gaming and changed how some of the most ardent gamers value games.

"The business model for a five-year life cycle isn't working for Sony and Microsoft," says Cole. "They spend billions to R&D and market these new systems, they sell them at a loss for the first few years and then they don't really have the software business to make up the cost. They are better getting out of the business entirely rather than go after a five-year life cycle."

How console makers can fight back

In wake of all these changes, what's a console maker to do? What might reinvigorate interest in living-room and dedicated handheld gaming?

A first step would be fresher consoles themselves. The Xbox 360 is 7 years old, while the Wii and the PlayStation 3 are both 6.

Newer motion-controlled gaming systems such as Microsoft's Kinect and Sony's Move, which let players control in-game avatars by moving their arms and legs, have helped sustain interest. But experts say more upgrades are needed.

"New consoles would help, and the rumblings have already started at Microsoft and Sony," Hutchinson says. As if reminded by the lackluster sales of the handheld 3DS and PS Vita gaming systems, he adds, "But I don't know that we really need a new hardware cycle at this point from a creative standpoint."

Zynga's Neurath, who's worked with consoles and PCs since the 8-bit days, says console makers would do well to act more like nontraditional platforms. A new console dubbed Ouya will launch next year with free-to-play games and a $99 launch price, but keep the focus on what its manufacturer calls "TV gaming."

Crook believes there is still plenty of time for traditional console makers to correct their downward trend.

"There will always be a big market for core game systems," he says. "It all comes down to how consoles can get back to taking creative risks again, and what the platforms can do to broaden their markets and offer innovative means of interaction."

Ubisoft's Hutchinson wants console games to deliver more meaningful experiences.

"Games need to explain to players why they made certain artistic decisions, what mood they're setting with their lighting and color choices, and less about the technical features," he says. "We need to offer more experiences that are understandable to people's real lives, either in terms of mechanics or narrative, and attract people who don't read fantasy novels or watch the SyFy channel. Our mechanics are often not the barrier, but our content sometimes is."

The good news for the industry, and for gamers, is that video games in their broadest sense are most definitely here to stay. It's just that the way we access, control and define them has rapidly evolved. Despite the weakening sales of consoles and console games, the growth of mobile, social and PC-based games means that total spending on gaming is actually on the rise.

"Inviting more people to the fun and wonderment of games isn't just good for social games, it's good for the entire industry," says Neurath.

It will likely take at least one more console cycle to gauge the long-term sustainability of dedicated gaming devices, experts say. Their ultimate survival all depends on how well console makers adapt to evolving business models and changing consumer tastes.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Good read, lots of sound arguments.

I can only assume that you posted the article in its entirety so that the more argument-prone members of this community don't have to navigate to a separate site to copy/paste or multi-quote the article when they want to pick it apart and offer up their personal take on the current state and future of the industry.

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

I can only assume that you posted the article in its entirety so that the more argument-prone members of this community don't have to navigate to a separate site to copy/paste or multi-quote the article when they want to pick it apart and offer up their personal take on the current state and future of the industry.

That hadn't occurred to me but i'm happy to help.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

The five year life cycle has always worked. Now that the greedy console makers want to keep their aging systems afloat for over 7 years, they wonder why sales are going down. I don't know, maybe because gamers are getting bored. The dedicated console isn't dying, but some of the creativity aside from the gimmicks employed on occasion by Nintendo has waned.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This kind of reminds me of the complaints about the E3 press conferences, they focus on hardware and gimmicks, and not as much on great games. The ideas people were saying in the article about getting away from geeks is stupid to me, they want to do real life stuff with games and make it relate to average people, what does that even mean?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    The five year life cycle has always worked. Now that the greedy console makers want to keep their aging systems afloat for over 7 years, they wonder why sales are going down. I don't know, maybe because gamers are getting bored. The dedicated console isn't dying, but some of the creativity aside from the gimmicks employed on occasion by Nintendo has waned.
    Ever hear of something called the economy? If console manufacturers could sell us new consoles every year they would do it, but many people haven't exactly had tons of disposable income in the past few years and that's why the console cycle was stretched as well as the fact that it took a long time for Sony and Microsoft to start making money on the hardware this generation. A great game is a great game and while new technology and control alternatives can improve some aspects of the experience, I doubt the cause of the slowdown has been gamer boredom.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_c3

<snip>

Not only that, but gamers' tastes have evolved to include quick, bite-size gaming sessions -- something consoles have never been good at. (Gamers must go to the living room, wait for the console to power on, load the game from the main menu, wait for it to boot.) It's much slower than tapping an icon on the smartphone you already carry in your pocket.
    .... Credibility = shot, right here.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Current gen consoles saw a spike in sales with the launches of the Move and the Kinect, which have largely been ignored since.

Also, many developers have migrated to developing for next gen consoles with the lengthy development time of games these days.

There are plenty of great games still launching, but they are almost all sequels, and perhaps we are seeing some franchise fatigue. In previous years with a Halo launch it was all over the news -- this year I saw nothing.

The Wii-U launches in a week and the hype seems very subdued. A new console launch Mario game should be a big deal with a console launch, but instead it's just another Mario.

Are people buying tablets instead?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    The Wii-U launches in a week and the hype seems very subdued. A new console launch Mario game should be a big deal with a console launch, but instead it's just another Mario.
    Im not a kid, but I bet there are a lot that are hyped, maybe moms too, and preorders were through the roof apparently. Its a new game console so of course theres hype, but for this system the people who are most excited I bet dont log onto forums in droves talking about how much they want it. People have told me when I complain about the Wii U name that Nintendo would be fools if they threw out the successful brand name, but shouldnt, you know, NINTENDO be the bigger name? To people who love the Wii they love Wii casual games, Mario is a Nintendo character and not a big deal to casual game lovers.

Halo 4 though I bet its because another company is making it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Current gen consoles saw a spike in sales with the launches of the Move and the Kinect, which have largely been ignored since.

Also, many developers have migrated to developing for next gen consoles with the lengthy development time of games these days.

There are plenty of great games still launching, but they are almost all sequels, and perhaps we are seeing some franchise fatigue. In previous years with a Halo launch it was all over the news -- this year I saw nothing.

Are people buying tablets instead?
    Are you serious? Halo 4 was the biggest selling game in the series at launch.

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/pos...ng-110912.aspx

Retail stores like Gamestop and Best Buy did midnight openings and even my parents were asking me what it was because they had seen tons of TV commercials for it. The WiiU is completely sold out of pre-orders everywhere. People are paying ridiculous amounts on Ebay and Craigslist for units that haven't even made it into the hands of the sellers yet and I have seen dozens of airings of the commercials since they started on November 1st. Sure, it's not Wii proportion hype just yet, but really the Wii wasn't super hyped until a week or two after launch when people realized they wanted one and it was sold out everywhere and wouldn't be available for a really long time unless you really worked to find one.

While I have no doubt that tablets and other media are cutting into video game sales, I don't think anyone can claim that good AAA titles are having trouble selling and I guarantee you will see lines everywhere for the WiiU on November 18th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Ever hear of something called the economy? If console manufacturers could sell us new consoles every year they would do it, but many people haven't exactly had tons of disposable income in the past few years
    Apple does it every year with $200+ iPhones and $500+ iPads.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    razeak
    PSN
    cayrazeak

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Apple does it every year with $200+ iPhones and $500+ iPads.
    You win.

Just think of the Android phone commercial with the people standing in line for the new iphone and the one guy is talking about his mind being blown because of the placement of the headphone jack. I think that illustrates how well making minor changes or upgrades can allow a company to sell virtually the same product over and over in such a short time frame.

Hmmmm...it actually gives me a fresh perspective to look at the Gamecube/Wii/WiiU lifecycle. Maybe Nintendo will accomplish something similar over a longer time frame than what Apple has done. Heck, look at the DS line and all the different iterations. I'm waiting on a 7 inch tablet DS at this point(or the 90 bajillion Mario games).

If this article has any traction, we might be looking back in a few years and thinking Nintendo was genius not to spend extra millions on top of the line hardware(though I think the system will prove to be plenty powerful).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Consoles are dead to me thanks to extraneous control gimmicks and UI's littered with advertising.
    I'll be rocking cartridges and digital controllers 'til my bones turn to dust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anything, I think they're being alot less greedy by extending the life of their consoles. Not everybody wants a new system every 5 years. Hell, the graphical leap from PS2 to PS3 wasn't that big of a deal (IMO). And I'm perfectly happy with the graphics of current-gen systems.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by razeak View Post
    You win.

Just think of the Android phone commercial with the people standing in line for the new iphone and the one guy is talking about his mind being blown because of the placement of the headphone jack. I think that illustrates how well making minor changes or upgrades can allow a company to sell virtually the same product over and over in such a short time frame.

Hmmmm...it actually gives me a fresh perspective to look at the Gamecube/Wii/WiiU lifecycle. Maybe Nintendo will accomplish something similar over a longer time frame than what Apple has done. Heck, look at the DS line and all the different iterations. I'm waiting on a 7 inch tablet DS at this point(or the 90 bajillion Mario games).

If this article has any traction, we might be looking back in a few years and thinking Nintendo was genius not to spend extra millions on top of the line hardware(though I think the system will prove to be plenty powerful).
    Thats not entirely true..

What sells it is the celeb's we look up to. Most of them rock Iphones so therefore their hardcore fans maybe inspired to go out and buy a iphone just like their favorite celeb.

Think back during the PS1 days.... Every rapper bought a PS1 and would play madden on it or something like that. Kids that followed those guys would do the same thing as a trend. I am not saying this is what caused the PS1 to surge over the N64 and Sega Saturn... But i think it most certainly helped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These articles are so dumb, console gaming isn't going anywhere any time soon. The console market has its up's and downs like any other market that has been around for any substantial amount of time. The console market might seem like it's kind of stagnant now because we're in a transition period where one console generation is ending and another one is beginning, and I think there is a certain lack of creativity with console games now as well. I think the traditional business model of shipping out a console for $300-400 and charging $60/game might be fading away though? I think traditional, full fledged console games will still be around for a long time to come, but there just might be fewer of them as more studios focus on freemium, mobile, and social games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    Thats not entirely true..

What sells it is the celeb's we look up to. Most of them rock Iphones so therefore their hardcore fans maybe inspired to go out and buy a iphone just like their favorite celeb.

Think back during the PS1 days.... Every rapper bought a PS1 and would play madden on it or something like that. Kids that followed those guys would do the same thing as a trend. I am not saying this is what caused the PS1 to surge over the N64 and Sega Saturn... But i think it most certainly helped.
    It's hard to tell, but you're being sarcastic, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Ever hear of something called the economy? If console manufacturers could sell us new consoles every year they would do it, but many people haven't exactly had tons of disposable income in the past few years and that's why the console cycle was stretched as well as the fact that it took a long time for Sony and Microsoft to start making money on the hardware this generation. A great game is a great game and while new technology and control alternatives can improve some aspects of the experience, I doubt the cause of the slowdown has been gamer boredom.
    The article sites "total industry sales" declining. Doesn't total industry sales include consoles? And aren't they selling a lot less consoles due to the fact that there haven't been any new ones in a long time? Not 'boredom' so much as market exhaustion. There simply aren't as many potential new customers left.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree. I haven't stopped purchasing console games because I felt that the graphics stunk and I needed a better console to play them on. I stopped purchasing new console games primarily because they priced themselves out of my consideration. I rarely (if ever) will pay $60 for a new game and that seems to be the base price for most of them. I used to wait until a new game has been out for a few months and then pick it up used or wait for a platinum edition but in all honestly I've found that I've been more likely to just lose interest in that time and purchase cheaper alternatives from Steam to occupy my time.

Of course it also doesn't help that I have absolutely no interest at all in any form of military shooters or games with anything resembling a "space marine". The same goes with sports games. Unfortunately this seems to represent 50% of the releases in today's console gaming environment.

Whatever. In another few weeks every developer and retailer will sell their me too copy cat holiday blockbusters for a "HUGE SAVINGS" at maybe $40-$50 each instead of $60. Meanwhile I'll probably purchase 10 games from Steam for that same price.

Oh, and anyone that doesn't believe that mobile gaming on cell phones and tablets will kill off your handheld consoles are delusional. The only ones that will be purchasing the DS and Vitas will be the hardcore gamers. Everyone else will be content with playing games on the device that they're already carrying in their pocket everywhere they go and don't want to bother carrying a second device. Now maybe if Nintendo designed a DS cell phone...
    Last edited by Griking; 11-11-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I disagree. I haven't stopped purchasing console games because I felt that the graphics stunk and I needed a better console to play them on. I stopped purchasing new console games primarily because they priced themselves out of my consideration. I rarely (if ever) will pay $60 for a new game and that seems to be the base price for most of them. I used to wait until a new game has been out for a few months and then pick it up used or wait for a platinum edition but in all honestly I've found that I've been more likely to just lose interest in that time and purchase cheaper alternatives from Steam to occupy my time.

Of course it also doesn't help that I have absolutely no interest at all in any form of military shooters or games with anything resembling a "space marine". The same goes with sports games. Unfortunately this seems to represent 50% of the releases in today's console gaming environment.

Whatever. In another few weeks every developer and retailer will sell their me too copy cat holiday blockbusters for a "HUGE SAVINGS" at maybe $40-$50 each instead of $60. Meanwhile I'll probably purchase 10 games from Steam for that same price.

Oh, and anyone that doesn't believe that mobile gaming on cell phones and tablets will kill off your handheld consoles are delusional. The only ones that will be purchasing the DS and Vitas will be the hardcore gamers. Everyone else will be content with playing games on the device that they're already carrying in their pocket everywhere they go and don't want to bother carrying a second device. Now maybe if Nintendo designed a DS cell phone...

this is the only sentiment i've ever agreed with when it came to consoles or casual iphone/android games overtaking established gaming machines. within 1 generation, 2 max, iphone like devices will make handheld gaming devices redundant, graphically they're not that far behind, controls just have to catch up.

im not trying to say casual games will dominate the full mobile gaming spectrum, more like eventually hardcore type games will find their way onto your appstore and suddenly, owning a vita or 3ds wont seem like its worth it anymore
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."