Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U REVIEW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Nintendo Wii U REVIEW!

My review of the Nintendo Wii U is now online, if anyone cares to take a look:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/11...onsole-in.html

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It reads more like an advertisement for the product then an actual "Review"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mangar View Post
    It reads more like an advertisement for the product then an actual "Review"
    Yep, not to be a jerk about it, but I generally associate a review with a balanced examination of a product or service and not just a glowing recitation of talking points from a PR firm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I spent a good time playing the system and enjoyed it very much. If I didn't like the console, the controller or the games, I would have said so. If you get a chance to play it, I think you'll agree. A glowing review of a great product is not a bad thing.
    Last edited by 8bitgamer; 11-16-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    I spent a good time playing the system and enjoyed it very much. If I didn't like the console, the controller or the games, I would have said so. If you get a chance to play it, I think you'll agree. A glowing review of a great product is not a bad thing.
    Again, I don't think you understand what a review involves. It's not just a summary of whether or not you liked something. I have one preordered and I am excited about it, but I am also acutely aware of the limitations and flaws in the system and I found your review unbalanced and not helpful from the consumer perspective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Again, I don't think you understand what a review involves. It's not just a summary of whether or not you liked something. I have one preordered and I am excited about it, but I am also acutely aware of the limitations and flaws in the system and I found your review unbalanced and not helpful from the consumer perspective.
    I've done hundreds of reviews for the Comics Buyer's Guide, the All Game Guide, etc., so I know a little something about writing reviews. Notice in the review that I wrote "based on a preview and test-drive I got recently" and "at least judging by what I've seen so far." These are qualifiers that let the reader know that their experience may vary when they get the system home and play numerous games for hundreds of hours. Based on the time I spent playing the Wii U, I didn't see a downside. I went in skeptical, but was stunned by how well the new controller works and how it changes the way games are played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with the sentiments expressed by other DPers. This is a reckless fluff 'review' and contributes to the argument that game journalism and criticism is broken. I don't give a shit how many other reviews you've written; this one has clear flaws.

I hope your other stuff is more thoughtful than this.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I hope your other stuff is more thoughtful than this.
    I thought about it a lot, and I think the Wii U is a great system, at least judging by what I've played so far.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While "games journalism" (like all journalism) is far from being perfect/ideal all of the time, in all fairness, (and Brett, feel free to clarify/correct) this appears to be, from the impression that I get, a light, local news opinion piece. It's pretty clearly a newspaper article that isn't strictly intended for our ultra-niche/ultra-critical crowd.

This will likely be read by novice gamers/consumers that aren't interested in subjects like frame-rates, lag or 3rd party publishers.

I think I'm correctly seeing the forest for the trees here.

If an article like this was published in an outlet like Kotaku, Destructoid, 1UP, etc. I might raise an eyebrow, but I don't see any reason to be so harsh considering the publication and the reader-base. I'm sure that the Star-Telegram wasn't looking for an investigative expose, just some early user impressions of the system.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-16-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    While "games journalism" (like all journalism) is far from being perfect/ideal all of the time, in all fairness, (and Brett, feel free to clarify/correct) this appears to be, from the impression that I get, a light, local news opinion piece. It's pretty clearly newspaper article that isn't strictly intended for our ultra-niche/ultra-critical crowd.

This will likely be read by novice gamers/consumers that aren't interested in subjects like frame-rates, lag or 3rd party publishers.

If an article like this was published in an outlet like Kotaku, Destructoid, 1UP, etc. I might raise an eyebrow, but I don't see any reason to be so harsh considering the publication and the reader-base. I'm sure that the Star-Telegram wasn't looking for an investigative expose, just some early user impressions of the system.
    Exactly--thanks for stating it so well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought about it a lot, and I think the Wii U is a great system, at least judging by what I've played so far.
    Then it seems you're conflating "initial impressions" with "review." That's a major distinction, regardless of the qualifiers you have hidden in the piece.

While "games journalism" (like all journalism) is far from being perfect/ideal all of the time, in all fairness, (and Brett, feel free to clarify/correct) this appears to be, from the impression that I get, a light, local news opinion piece. It's pretty clearly newspaper article that isn't strictly intended for our ultra-niche/ultra-critical crowd.

That's like saying my girlfriend is hot... for a fat chick. We shouldn't be excusing poor criticism because it's aimed at a broad audience. If anything, the broader audience would be better served with a more balanced, ethical review. Kotaku readers largely knew what they were getting before Wii U game reviews started flooding the 'net. People reading Brett's stuff more than likely aren't as informed, and after reading his Wii U impressions still aren't in many ways.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Then it seems you're conflating "initial impressions" with "review." That's a major distinction, regardless of the qualifiers you have hidden in the piece.
    I guess my post should have said "initial impressions" and you would have been happier (note that the article doesn't say "review"). The qualifiers are hardly hidden--they're right there in black and white, including "based on a preview and test-drive I got recently" stated early on.

[QUOTE=If anything, the broader audience would be better served with a more balanced, ethical review.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing unethical about liking a product without reservation and stating as such.

[QUOTE=Kotaku readers largely knew what they were getting before Wii U game reviews started flooding the 'net. People reading Brett's stuff more than likely aren't as informed, and after reading his Wii U impressions still aren't in many ways.[/QUOTE]

I believe that with a limit of 1500 words, I gave as much information about the Wii U that I possibly could. Other than some imagined negative traits about the system that you seem to want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess my post should have said "initial impressions" and you would have been happier (note that the article doesn't say "review"). The qualifiers are hardly hidden--they're right there in black and white, including "based on a preview and test-drive I got recently" stated early on.

There's nothing unethical about liking a product without reservation and stating as such.

I believe that with a limit of 1500 words, I gave as much information about the Wii U that I possibly could. Other than some imagined negative traits about the system that you seem to want.
    You called it a review, not me, regardless of the headline. If we're calling this a review, the way in which you reviewed it -- likely by demoing some games at a Nintendo consumer event and scribbling your thoughts -- isn't an ethical way I would give my approval. I would want to spend more time with the product and observe what it potentially does right and wrong, among other things. Consumers want to know that stuff, especially when making a fairly big purchase in a shit economy. Did Nintendo provide you with a console in the weeks leading up to your review/impressions? If so, and you DID spend hours with Wii U hardware outside of Nintendo PR's view, I apologize.

The lack of negativity in your piece isn't the issue for me or others. It's the regurgitation of Nintendo's PR babble and the seemingly lack of thought put into it. Judging from your piece it seems the Nintendo PR machine has their hand up your ass enough to make you their puppet. You're doing exactly what they want and don't even know it.

I expect this slop from sweaty fanboys in their early 20s-- kinda like me 10 years ago sans the sweaty fanboy part. This is unbecoming of someone who has written hundreds of reviews and has several books published. If this hadn't been written by you I'm guessing (and hoping) you would agree.
    Last edited by RCM; 11-16-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

That's like saying my girlfriend is hot... for a fat chick. We shouldn't be excusing poor criticism because it's aimed at a broad audience. If anything, the broader audience would be better served with a more balanced, ethical review. Kotaku readers largely knew what they were getting before Wii U game reviews started flooding the 'net. People reading Brett's stuff more than likely aren't as informed, and after reading his Wii U impressions still aren't in many ways.
    Sure, it's fluffy, but again, in the context of the publication, I don't see it as being "unethical". It's just an enthusiastic first impressions article.

The reader base of that paper (which is, again, novice) would likely never identify with or understand or care about the level of critical minutia that will be assigned to a system like the Wii U via a dedicated "games journalism" outlet like Kotaku or discussed in a community like ours.

I don't read a movie review in the penny saver (no offense to this publication) expecting the same level of academic criticism that I'm going to get from an enthusiast publication like Movieline or Entertainment Weekly.

Don't get me wrong, I totally respect your desire to see a more balanced/academic approach to games journalism all the time everywhere, I just don't think it's going to happen with games journalism any faster than it has occurred with any other entertainment medium.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't read a movie review in the penny saver (no offense to this publication) expecting the same level of academic criticism that I'm going to get from an enthusiast publication like Movieline or Entertainment Weekly.
    Actually, the Star-Telegram cannot be compared to a PennySaver. It's a major newspaper.

From Wikipedia:
    The Star-Telegram’s circulation area is the Fort Worth/Arlington metro area (four counties) and 14 surrounding counties. The newspaper's primary market is the four-county Fort Worth/Arlington metro area (as well as the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie), which is the western part of the fourth-largest U.S. metropolitan area, the Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington Combined Statistical Area. Fort Worth/Arlington ranks 29th most populous as a metro area.[
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by rolenta View Post
    Actually, the Star-Telegram cannot be compared to a PennySaver. It's a major newspaper.

From Wikipedia:
    The Star-Telegram’s circulation area is the Fort Worth/Arlington metro area (four counties) and 14 surrounding counties. The newspaper's primary market is the four-county Fort Worth/Arlington metro area (as well as the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie), which is the western part of the fourth-largest U.S. metropolitan area, the Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington Combined Statistical Area. Fort Worth/Arlington ranks 29th most populous as a metro area.[
    Thanks for clarifying. Ultimately nothing is as crappy as the penny saver ... unless you're in NJ, there's always "Steppin Out".

Still, generally speaking newspapers reach a far broader/diverse demographic than a dedicated games journalism site or enthusiast community. That was really the crux of my point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Trust me when I say the bulk of the Star-Telegram's 200,000 subscribers (plus many more online) don't want to read a bunch of technical jargon, nor would the editors accept such a piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trust me when I say the bulk of the Star-Telegram's 200,000 subscribers (plus many more online) don't want to read a bunch of technical jargon, nor would the editors accept such a piece.
    You're missing the point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're missing the point.
    As a full-time professional writer, the point is to write what my editors want to the best of my ability and in turn get paid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Listen bro just listen to everyone and accept that your review sucks. Put a couple years into the system compare multiple games and multi platform games based on framrate, native resoultion, online capibilities and lag input down to the milisecond. Also test it under extreme conditions such as blizzards, homeland invasions(ala Red Dawn) and finding out your wife cheated on you with a relative. Then travel back in time and write a full review on it, then post here, not that hard. Now thats a review.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*