Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: a

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default a

aaaaa
    Last edited by mycarsucks; 04-29-2022 at 03:59 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That article of favorite memories of Nintendo Power by the Nintendo Power staff is kind of interesting, but almost all of the editors there were working on the magazine after it had turned to pure crap, haha. I only recognize a couple of the people. It sure would be cool if someone could gather a bunch of people like Howard Phillips, Gail Tilden, Dan Owsen, George Sinfield, Rob Noel, Leslie Swan, etc. etc. to talk about their memories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by mycarsucks; 04-29-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo Power Officially Closes

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsucks View Post
    actually, i think howard phillips is on this forum. maybe howard can share his memories.

here's my collection that i decided to frame:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Cool Nintendo Fun Club items! Still have all of mine. Howard Phillips taught me how to play the first Legend of Zelda before it was released. Great memories!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man, I'd almost forgotten about the club newsletter! I still remember getting that first issue and being overjoyed about the 2nd quest Zelda map. That thing was a lifesaver.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, it's really cool to see Howard Phillips around and talking about his Nintendo days, although I was more talking about a group reunion of the staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I still have the first issue from childhood, and am looking forward to book-ending my collection with the last issue, if I can find it. The B&N near me still has September on the stand..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

A sad day for sure. I hardly ever bought any issues but it was usually the first one I'd leaf through whenever I'd be at the grocery store with my father as a kid. These days I buy the odd issue...too many memories. Sad it's finally gone but I'll be picking up the final issue for sure. It was probably the right time. I've been supporting EGM since their rise from the dead a couple years ago, but it just isn't the same. Life support should probably be cut there too. Ah well, as long as us collectors still preserve all those old Nintendo Powers, Sega Visions, Game Players and EGMs we'll always have something to read!
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, EGM's really gone downhill. They used to give every console equal respect, but since they returned I noticed a lot more Nintendo bashing. Way to alienate millions of gamers, guys, good job (sarcastic clapping). It's why I quit reading the mag.

I am sorry to see Nintendo Power go, though. Even if they were just cheerleaders, they were very good at it. They will be missed.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Yeah, EGM's really gone downhill. They used to give every console equal respect, but since they returned I noticed a lot more Nintendo bashing. Way to alienate millions of gamers, guys, good job (sarcastic clapping). It's why I quit reading the mag.

I am sorry to see Nintendo Power go, though. Even if they were just cheerleaders, they were very good at it. They will be missed.
    Not trying to be rude, but since when did EGM give every console equal respect? They never did even when I was a kid. Nintendo was king back then and they always got the best reviews. Turbografx 16 and Genesis, for the most part, got crap reviews. Then there's the Jaguar which they started bashing before it even released, and still do to this day. Hell, they gave the 32X DOOM a better review than the Jaguar version which blows it out of the water. Don't get me started on 3DO either. Then we get into the Playstation era, as they would call it, and at first they were fair with Saturn and later, N64 when they released. Later on though, Playstation was the console that could do no wrong and Saturn/Nintendo 64 were slammed over and over again, even if the other consoles version was better. You should see the reviews for Power Slave, which everyone KNOWS is better on the Saturn, but EGM seems to disagree. It's like they got the reviews mixed. Or then there's the comment at the end of the Saturn Quake review, which I will never forget, "Instead of buying the Saturn version, you could always wait for what we are sure will be a far superior Playstation version any day now." Never released. Yeah, sounds unbiased to me. EGM has always been biased along with Game Pro.
    Last edited by T2KFreeker; 11-19-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Not trying to be rude, but since when did EGM give every console equal respect? They never did even when I was a kid. Nintendo was king back then and they always got the best reviews. Turbografx 16 and Genesis, for the most part, got crap reviews. Then there's the jaguar which they started bashing before it even released, and still do to this day. Hell, they gave the 32X DOOM a better review than the Jaguar version which blows it out of the water. Then we get into the Playstation era, as they would call it, and at first they were fair with Saturn and later, N64 when they released. Later on though, Playstation was the console that could do no wrong and Saturn/Nintendo 64 were slammed over and over again, even if the other consoles version was better. You should see the reviews for Power Slave, which everyone KNOWS is better on the Saturn, but EGM seems to disagree. It's like they got the reviews mixed. Or then there's the comment at the end of the Saturn Quake review, which I will never forget, "Instead of buying the Saturn version, you could always wait for what we are sure will be a far superior Playstation version any day now." Never released. Yeah, sounds unbiased to me. EGM has always been biased along with Game Pro.
    I'm agreeing with T2K. If Retroguy or anyone else is claiming that EGM was unbiased back in time, you are wearing VERY rose-coloured glasses. They were VERY much pro Nintendo and Sony.

And why do some people want multiple copies of the last issue still in plastic? Re-selling? If so, go piss in the wind.

Personally, I have great memories of NP as a kid when the NES was king and the SNES was on the horizon. After the N64 game out, I really couldn't read NP anymore. I guess it was my age, I don't know. I guess that's about the same time I got on the internet as well, which made magazines obsolete for me.
    Last edited by Breetai; 11-19-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I meant about EGM is that, even if they bashed some games for a certain system, they would still point out the really good ones and in their editors' roundtable at the end of each issue, each system recieved praise at one time or another. Nowadays, not so much. I don't know if they're just pissed that the Xbox got stomped by a "lame kiddie system" or what, but I was seriously detecting a very anti-Nintendo attitude in the last couple of issues I read. Again, that's why I quit reading.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an April '94 issue of EGM that features glowing reviews of Space Ace for the CD-i, Dracula Unleashed on the Sega CD and the Neo Geo version of Art of Fighting 2. They were far from Nintendo-centric in their praise, even when that praise probably wasn't all that warranted as in the case of Space Ace, and Tempest 2000 was even their game of the month that issue.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo Power ended up being one my defining influences, as their teasers for products which ended up never coming out in the USA ended up spawning Satellablog. To this date, I still wonder if their "Game Pak" version of BS Zelda exists.

I may do a long eulogy for it on the site later.

Nintendo Power, you will be missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by mycarsucks; 04-29-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember getting a few issues on and off when I was a kid, then becoming a dedicated reader from '92-'99, but stopped reading for a few years because I didn't have a Nintendo 64. Eventually, I started reading NP from '04 through now. It's gonna be a different feeling knowing that after December, the magazine won't be coming in the mail anymore.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    I'm agreeing with T2K. If Retroguy or anyone else is claiming that EGM was unbiased back in time, you are wearing VERY rose-coloured glasses. They were VERY much pro Nintendo and Sony.

And why do some people want multiple copies of the last issue still in plastic? Re-selling? If so, go piss in the wind.

Personally, I have great memories of NP as a kid when the NES was king and the SNES was on the horizon. After the N64 game out, I really couldn't read NP anymore. I guess it was my age, I don't know. I guess that's about the same time I got on the internet as well, which made magazines obsolete for me.
    You obviously never read egm and were stuck reading Nintendo Propaganda. EGM was the most unbiased mag out there. What was the first game to ever get a perfect 10 from them(even though it didn't deserve it)? It wasn't a Nintendo game. What system received a better score in their annual buyers guide in '92? They bashed the SNES when it first came out for all of its flicker/slowdown because of the slow processor. As well as being a year late.

That's just a silly statement coming from a person who obviously never read the magazine.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I seem to recall a vast majority of EGM being either jerking off to Sony or giving really bad advice on Nintendo games.

In any case, Nintendo Power. I can't say it was a major part of my childhood or even my gaming habits, but it was nice to have around (pre-shit, that is). Generally interesting articles, decent guides (back in the day), amazing covers.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I seem to recall a vast majority of EGM being either jerking off to Sony or giving really bad advice on Nintendo games.

In any case, Nintendo Power. I can't say it was a major part of my childhood or even my gaming habits, but it was nice to have around (pre-shit, that is). Generally interesting articles, decent guides (back in the day), amazing covers.
    Sony's system didn't come into the picture until '95, EGM started in '89 so that makes no sense. And they really didn't do the advice thing too much besides Trickman's section. Maybe you are thinking of Gamepro?

I see people say they were Nintendo or Sony biased, which one is it? Not their fault Sega(and previously NEC) messed up with their poor decisions, or that most Jaguar games sucked. Their Game of the Year award went to Genesis games in their first 3 years of publication. And from '96 to '98 the award went to N64 games. So that still doesn't explain them "jerking off to Sony".

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Sony's system didn't come into the picture until '95, EGM started in '89 so that makes no sense. And they really didn't do the advice thing too much besides Trickman's section. Maybe you are thinking of Gamepro?
    No, I'm thinking of EGM and EGM2. I didn't start reading them until Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was released. I can't speak for the book before I started reading. I'm not saying they had a bias simple because I don't remember if they did or not. All I remember is reading a lot of interesting Playstation articles and guides, with Nintendo sections mixed in that didn't shine quite as bright as the Sony stuffs.