Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games You Wanted To Like But Couldn't...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games You Wanted To Like But Couldn't...

I was playing Sarge's Heroes for N64 earlier tonight and it inspired me to make this thread. I like the concept, the characters and the general feel of the game. Yet the clunky controls, slow camera and lack of any checkpoints makes the game difficult to enjoy. It is a game that I would sincerely like to like, but cannot bring myself to do so. Anyone else like this toward any games?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog- The game was supposed to be soooo fast, but when I play it the pace is slow and tedious for all the "stop/wait for moving platform" stuff. I'm sure you can blast through it if you memorize it, but it takes me 20 minutes to get to stage 3.

Dead or Alive series- it looks neat, but I find it more frustrating than fun. I'm not too bad at Soul Calibur though. (Not great, but I can play it)

I hate to say it, but...
    Pac-Man. I can not play Pac-Man to save my life. I don't see how in the hell people memorize those patterns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bionic Commando (NES) - I just don't find it appealing. I have no legitimate criticism of the game, it just doesn't engage me. Or maybe I suck at it.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I have this problem with most 3D fighters, particularly Virtua Fighter and Tekken. The stories interest me, and I like reading about the characters and their weird little backstories and habits (like that one guy whose got a grudge against a shark), but then... the actual games turn me off.

Main thing I hate is how precise everything is. You can't just do a command and get a move, its "do the command during one particular split-second frame of animation or else you get a completely different move" and that's just way too precise for a fast-paced fighter. Even then, when I see what a fight between decent or good players looks like, it's just... not as exciting as the over-the-top stuff you see in Samurai Shodown or Street Fighter.

GET READY Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

JRPGs. I really do wish I could enjoy them, which would give me tons and tons of games to play, but I've just never found one that I would play for more than a few minutes before taking a break and never playing the game again. I have issues with how they are generally structured, and it personally starts to feel like a chore to play through after a certain point, grinding or not. This is really unfortunate to me, because these games have some of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game, among many other aspects of the presentation, but I just can't get into the game itself >_<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Sonic the Hedgehog- The game was supposed to be soooo fast, but when I play it the pace is slow and tedious for all the "stop/wait for moving platform" stuff. I'm sure you can blast through it if you memorize it, but it takes me 20 minutes to get to stage 3.
    100% with you on this.

Also, Skyward Sword. I love, love, LOVE Zelda and I just cannot stand playin that game. Stupid waggle "plus" controls annoy me to no end, flying around is about as tedious as it gets and brings any fun I could be having to a grinding hault, most annoying sidekick creature/thing yet, spitting out all those ever so useless tidbits of info, and ugly, UGLY character design. The only (real) Zelda game ever that I have just about zero desire to play through. Breaks my heart.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actraiser 2. The first game is an all-time favorite and I was excited to play the sequel. It has beautiful graphics and great music. But it's just freaking impossible and Enix removed the Sim City-type part of the game. That was what made the first game so unique.

I tried my hardest to like it but barely being able to complete the first level, it just pissed me off instead. If anyone has ever completed this game without a cheat code/Game Genie, then you get major props.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimTendo View Post
    JRPGs... would play for more than a few minutes before taking a break and never playing the game again.
    If you give them a few hours I bet youll be able to see enough to want to keep playing.

I dont like Sonic games, dont care for running fast and missing out on a level, but then again the levels arent that interesting for more than 3 minutes worth of time anyway.

Just played a bit of Tekken, but I bet if I had a friend then maybe Id like it, but on my own I dont see the point. I like 2D fighters more. Got to the 6th guy and didnt care to keep going after losing.

The game recently I wanted to like or just kept wanting to play again was Daikatana, but man there was nothing of substance even if you used cheats. The story behind it is far more important for people to remember than the actual game itself.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bizarrely, golf games. I just totally suck at them for some reason. I always try to play NES Open because it seems so charming and well made, but I just completely wash out on the whole genre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xenoblade Chronicles. I picked up a copy for a song and really wanted to get into it. But about an hour in I realized it's gameplay was everything I hated about World of Warcraft mixed with the most dull Anime cliches EVER.

This sort of applies to most JPRGs and me actually (though not necessarily the WoW part). I can count on one hand the number of JRPGs I actually enjoy (Earthbound, Mother 3, Paper Mario... ah... Chrono Trigger. Maybe.)
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    [B]XThis sort of applies to most JPRGs and me actually (though not necessarily the WoW part). I can count on one hand the number of JRPGs I actually enjoy (Earthbound, Mother 3, Paper Mario... ah... Chrono Trigger. Maybe.)
    Turn based combat and leveling up? My best piece of advice (at least to people old or young enough to know), that its just like Pokemon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Turn based combat and leveling up? My best piece of advice (at least to people old or young enough to know), that its just like Pokemon.
    What's just like Pokemon? Xenoblade? Cause its the least Pokemon like game I can think of. Because the combat isn't turn based, its real time. Except its all autoattack and spells with cool down.

Also fetch quests and people with exclamation points over their heads.

and the worst sense of fashion.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh sorry I meant JRPG's. Ones with turned based combat ones like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei ect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mega Man 1 for the NES. Why? Because it's just too darn hard. I love Mega Man 2, but even using cheat codes, I can't beat the first one. Seriously, I got stuck on level 2 and even after a full hour and several dozen tries, I couldn't get past the first part of the level. I think Capcom realized they went too far, though, becase MM2 is noticibly easier (though still very challenging).
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

First person shooters. As hard as I try, I just can't get into them. They're all the same to me too.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

The Skate Series on Xbox 360. I know so many of my friends like the games, and I loved other skateboarding games like Tony Hawk games and even MTV skateboarding (Maybe just for the 90's music in it :P) but for whatever reason it just isn't fun to me. The whole "making it realistic" concept is cool, but maybe that's why I don't like it. To me games are to be separated from reality. If I wanted to skate I'd go outside, but if I want to do impossibles off the empire state building into a moving helicopter, then I'd play some Tony Hawk
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resident Evil 4 (onwards, but 4 in particular) - I bought a Gamecube to play this and got bored after half an hour. I kept on playing, thinking that it would get better, but it never happened. I just can't understand why people liked it. It controls horribly for a third person shooter. Having to walk a few steps, stop, aim, shoot, walk a few steps.. whilst blundering about like a barge just isn't fun. The plot is a load of rubbish (save the president's daughter.. really?). The whole thing reeks of backwards game design wrapped up in shiny graphics with a known brand slapped on the front. /rant

Heavy Rain - I wanted to love Heavy Rain. I loved Farenheit, despite the wonky last half hour. Somehow I could just never get in to it.

Jet Set Radio - My friends raved about it, I bought it and just couldn't play it. After spending a gajillion hours playing THPS everything just felt really floaty. Maybe I am just terrible at it though.

I sort of agree with the comments about JRPGs. I take the view that Baldur's Gate 2 is absolutely everything that an RPG should be. You can pretty much play the game how you want, happily lying to rival NPCs about helping them then screwing them over and taking all the loot for yourself. The combat is great, the character customisation is fantastic, the sub quests were unique, the graphics are.. were.. ok, so they were never amazing, but still.

JRPGs, on the other hand, seem to be generally very linear with limited choice in NPC interaction and character development (eg, your spiky haired emo lead will always be a spiky haired emo lead) and a huge focus on grinding against slimes. The last JRPG that I played and enjoyed was Rogue Galaxy, but even that degenerated in to a grind fest half way through. I bought and tried to play a load of them (various FF games, vandal hearts, Grandia etc etc) thinking "this is a Role Playing Game, I should love this". When it comes down to it, there just doesn't seem to be much role playing going on.
    Last edited by Daltone; 11-18-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The only FPS games that I can get into are either the Unreal Tournament series or Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead is actually pushing it it gets so repetitive, but the survival aspect of it really helps and co op makes it better.

However a series I want to get into but can't is Call of Duty. It's an FPS so it's going to be hard as I dislike the genre, but I have a lot of friends who play the series and a common theme on any game is that it's more fun to play with a friend. Friend or not. Playing these games aren't fun to me at all.

Assassin's Creed 3 is another one. Day one and I still haven't finished it. It's not a very good game. I'm over halfway through with five sequences left, and as short as all the missions are, shouldn't take more than five hours to finish the game. It's just how large the world of this game is, it'd be nice if I could actually enjoy it. If you look at all the ratings it's received everywhere else, it's got an 85 average and I'd like to feel the same way. Unfortunately I don't. Very pretty, but also very repetitive and boring.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-18-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super mario 1,2,3,4,5,6,etc,whatever

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Resident Evil 4 (onwards, but 4 in particular) - I bought a Gamecube to play this and got bored after half an hour. I kept on playing, thinking that it would get better, but it never happened. I just can't understand why people liked it. It controls horribly for a third person shooter. Having to walk a few steps, stop, aim, shoot, walk a few steps.. whilst blundering about like a barge just isn't fun. The plot is a load of rubbish (save the president's daughter.. really?). The whole thing reeks of backwards game design wrapped up in shiny graphics with a known brand slapped on the front. /rant
    Oh, it gets worse.

There are lots of beginner's traps later in the game, and the plot goes in some B.S. directions. The most likable character GETS KILLED just so Ada Wong can have more scenes and...

Yeah.

Resident Evil 4 killed the franchise for me.