I was thinking about this the other day and I remember there being a huge buzz between late 1993 until early 1994 when Mortal Kombat was about to hit the SNES and Genesis during the back to school through holiday season of 1993 and how anyone and everyone was talking about it. I remember magazines were publishing stories about it, I would see commercials on television, the lunch room in school was filled with kids talking about the game, and there was just a huge buzz about it and which system people were getting it on as well as the blood, characters, codes, and other factors that were brewing among the gaming crowd. I remember when it did launch sometime in September that some kids had already received it while others were waiting until Christmas but the end result was the same: EVERYONE was excited about it.

Same thing was going on some time after Christmas when NBA Jam was about to be released onto home consoles, everyone had played it in arcades and absolutely loved the game and the buzz was strong for NBA Jam to come to the SNES and Genesis. When it came out the same thing happened, everyone was talking about it and trying to figure out codes to make the players heads big, or to look like chickens, or other such fun stuff and the game was all magazines were talking about, it was quite a fun time then and I don't get that feeling anymore when discussing video games with people.

Any which way, that September-March was a really fun time for video games for me and I don't think I played any other game for almost a year aside for Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam, the hype and the fun of it all kept me well satisfied and glued to my SNES.