Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wii Mini Is Real, Arrives December 7 — In Canada [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb The Wii Mini Is Real, Arrives December 7 — In Canada [Slashdot]

An anonymous reader writes "Yesterday there was a rumor doing the rounds that Nintendo was set to release a brand new version of the Wii console called the Wii Mini. The new machine would be significantly smaller than the current Wii, is expected to ship with a Wii Remote Plus, Nunchuk, and Sensor Bar, and hopefully carries a much lower (sub-$100) price. Well, it looks as though this wasn't just a rumor. Best Buy Canada has it listed with an image on its front page and a December 7 release date." Also at PC Mag.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Man, no internet connection whatsoever on this is a bummer, as this could be a nice little set-top Netflix/YouTube streaming device, then again the low resolution isn't as appealing as some other little Roku type boxes.

*shrug* is what it is. Not bad for a C-note, but you can pretty easily get a full featured Wii used for much less these days.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Yeah, indeed. It's a cute version of the Wii, but I think it'll only have appeal to budget-prone gift-buyers who don't want to offer a used Wii as a Christmas gift. I do like its black and red look, though. For now at least, it's a Canada-only release available only during this holiday season.

I asked the Quebec rep for Nintendo regarding compatibility with Wii games (since it doesn't actually say ALL Wii games), and basically all Wii games are compatible, although those with online features will only be compatible for their offline components.
    Last edited by Lady Jaye; 11-27-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How crazy! I might pick up one of these myself when they get cheaper. Hopefully I'll still be able to get copies of Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story whenever that happens. Does it keep the SD card slot, at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    *shrug* is what it is. Not bad for a C-note, but you can pretty easily get a full featured Wii used for much less these days.
    I agree – for fifty or sixty, it would be awesome, but $100 is just too close to what the Wii generally sells for already. Decent of them to include a nunchuck, though.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Ha I wonder if this one is still moddable? Probably is as long as it has an SD card slot.

Someone on that forum guessed there isn't but I haven't seen a picture to confirm his statement.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 11-27-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

What was the wrong with the current "smaller" Wii that they had to go smaller? This thing smacks of Genesis 3/SNES mini.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I imagine it must have its own firmware if it can't connect to the internet using the USB adapter, assuming it even has USB ports.
    It's definitely an interesting design choice.
    I passed on the $109 Walmart blue Wii last year, and although this seems like even less of a bargain, I am tempted.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    What was the wrong with the current "smaller" Wii that they had to go smaller? This thing smacks of Genesis 3/SNES mini.
    Well, it's smaller and is missing some ports and appears to have a flip top drive which probably means some cost savings so that they can continue to squeeze profit out of the Wii even when retailers drop this unit to $80 or less.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I might buy one just to keep sealed for 20 years. It seems like it's a new version of the NES top loader, only if it actually sells well or gets released in other regions later the value would tank. The fact that it's more expensive than a used Wii and has less features with no real benefits should help keep this a rarity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has the benefit of not using a slot-loading drive, at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They might just be using Canada as a test market to see how the system does. But at that price in the US I don't think many people would want it. However, there are plenty of Nintendo fans and casual gamers out there who just want to play Nintendo's franchises offline anyway so theres atleast a market out there for this system. I like the design but have much better uses for that $100.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ill buy one just for collection purposes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Wii mini... future rarity?

Im very tempted to buy one and keep it sealed. This could have a very limited run at retail (if its really only for canada, but i suspect its just a test market for usa) if its not selling well. I dont see the point of buying this for the average consumer since you can buy a regular wii with full features for 129 with nsmb and they will probably drop to 99$ on boxing day. But as a collector this could be very rare down the line and very valuable... I might put a couple on ebay! saw someone posting them 199 shipping included (console is 116 with tax + 30$ shipping to usa so it leaves a profit of 44$ minus ebay fees should leave around 34$). If someone wants it pm me. but when you consider nintendo is still selling wiimote for 45$ and nunchuk for 20$, its not that bad! Seriously they should price drop the wiimotes they are too expensive and are very cheap to build (bought a new one from china with nunchuk for 18$ shipping included and quality is surprisingly close to official ones)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It has the benefit of not using a slot-loading drive, at least.
    I wasn't aware of that, I read a quick article about it but didn't really pay too close attention if that was mentioned there.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    They might just be using Canada as a test market to see how the system does.
    This is basically what they're doing, for now it's a Canada exclusive but they haven't ruled out expanding it if it's in demand. If it does get distributed to larger markets then it won't be as rare or valuable in the future. This is why I'm not sure about getting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I wasn't aware of that, I read a quick article about it but didn't really pay too close attention if that was mentioned there.

This is basically what they're doing, for now it's a Canada exclusive but they haven't ruled out expanding it if it's in demand. If it does get distributed to larger markets then it won't be as rare or valuable in the future. This is why I'm not sure about getting it.
    yes its top loading you can see it on the picture theres an openClick image for larger version. 

Name:	wii mini.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	5962 button that clearly opens the wii lettering part as the lid
    Last edited by PreZZ; 11-27-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to know if it has SD and USB ports. It doesn't really need them, I guess, since there will be no downloading of content and it will have little use for any 1st party USB peripherals.
    If they drop another $20, I might pick one up just so I can finally play Skyward Sword, SMG and SMG2.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

The lack of internet connectivity is odd, considering how they're pushing online with both the 3DS and Wii U... I can only assume they're after this "little brother" market at this point, or those who don't care about online. My sister has a Wii and I can say for a fact that she's never bothered to take it online. I will say it's rather nifty looking. I can see this becoming the next Gameboy Micro... ignored at retail, but maintaining it's value years down the road.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Also, I propose for the advertising campaign, call it the "Mini Wii" and get this guy involved...

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two underpowered superstars struggling to hang on to their unlikely success. It's a match made in heaven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    yes its top loading you can see it on the picture theres an openClick image for larger version. 

Name:	wii mini.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	5962 button that clearly opens the wii lettering part as the lid
    Thanks, I wasn't sure about that before. I should have looked closer at the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    Also, I propose for the advertising campaign, call it the "Mini Wii" and get this guy involved...
    They should have named it the "Wee Wii". Perfect for playing on carpeted areas.