Thread: Gamegear powerback popping?

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamegear powerback popping?

OK, so this is the second time this has happened. Out of nowhere, this extremely loud popping sound echoed throughout the room. I checked the powerback gamegear this time, and saw that it got really hot and popped open on the top, not to mention that it smelled a bit like hot plastic. I haven't modded it at all, it's running on the original batteries and everything. Still, it works completely fine. Is there any way to save this thing and keep it from doing this again or should I trash it? It snaps back into place with relative ease, but the fact that it popped out like that in the first place worries me.

EDIT: You know what, I dont really think it's worth the time and risk to repair. I'm just trashing it.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 11-29-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

I'll buy the case off you if you still have it.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's in an empty bin, but not yet trashed. I'm sort of nervous to open it up, though; This guy did and it exploded on him AGAIN:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...g-NiCD-battery!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd believe the cells are dead but you can rebuild those things good as new. I did it with a Nomad battery pack and I'm assuming that's what APE wants to do with yours if you give it to him.

I've also been told that sometimes hobby shops can rebuild them for you but I have no idea what they'd charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I'd believe the cells are dead but you can rebuild those things good as new. I did it with a Nomad battery pack and I'm assuming that's what APE wants to do with yours if you give it to him.

I've also been told that sometimes hobby shops can rebuild them for you but I have no idea what they'd charge.
    I think I'll just stick to batteries for now.

As for selling it, I'm really at an impasse. I don't want to risk my safety by opening it up to remove the dead bits and send just the case (ELECTRIC SHOCK HAZARD DO NOT OPEN being printed on the back doesn't help matters either for a relative electronics amateur such as myself), and I don't want to send the whole thing and have it blow up in his face when he goes to fix it up. Hell, even holding the thing now makes me kind of nervous.

If it's safe in this state, I could probably send it to him to at least take a tiny bit less of a loss on buying the darn thing, but I've still got worries on the matter.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post

I was quoted $30 at a local one. That included the cost of 4 cells. The cost would be lower if you provide the cells or go for NI-MH instead, the latter requires additional effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    I was quoted $30 at a local one. That included the cost of 4 cells. The cost would be lower if you provide the cells or go for NI-MH instead, the latter requires additional effort.
    Pricey, but not too bad considering you'll have a fully functional original battery pack for the system when all is said and done. They will fail eventually, and those that do will probably just be tossed rather than repaired which is kind of sad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

Default right

Hi guys i have been replaceing these for a few years i only say these explode due to age and they dont cost $30 to replace the cells

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onyx-7-2V-6-...item35c213ee77

will need a bit of heat shrink and soldering to swap the connector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33-pieces-Se...item4169d3a3aa

for the opening tools

if more info needed i have one battery pack i need to redo so give me some time i have a lot of repair videos that need doing.