Thread: HELP - Can you guys please name some overhead, hack and slash RPGs like Baldur's Gate and The Bard's Tale?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question HELP - Can you guys please name some overhead, hack and slash RPGs like Baldur's Gate and The Bard's Tale?

Right, so I'm not really sure if there's a name for the genre I'm talking about, but games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Diablo are what I'm talking about.

I've been exploring of my untried XBOX games in an effort to weed out what's not worth keeping, and this morning I popped in a game called The Bard's Tale and I think it's great. I don't know when I got this game, I just know that it was about 5 bucks. I wish that I would have played it sooner. It got me thinking about how much I enjoy these types of games. Earlier this year I played Dungeon Siege III and I really enjoyed it as well.

Anyway, I'm fairly ignorant of games in the genre and was wondering if you guys could suggest some games in the same vein. I'm only interested in console games, and I don't really care which generation.

I already own:

• Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (XBOX)
    • Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (XBOX)
    • Bard's Tale, The (XBOX)
    • Dungeon Siege III (360)

What else is out there? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

It's too bad you're only interested in console games. There were a lot of these kinds of what I think of as Diablo clones for the PC when it was in the height of its popularity.

Try Torchlight for the 360. I don't own it, but I think it was received well. It's on XBLA, so you can play a demo. I think Torchlight II is PC only, though.

I actually might own it on Steam, but I can't remember.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Sacred 2 (PS360)
    Champions of Norrath (PS2)
    Champions Return to Arms (PS2)
    Untold Legends Brotherhood of the Blade (PSP)
    Untold Legends The Warrior's Code (PSP)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think Torchlight 1 and 2 are on the XBLA, those are good.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

X-Men Legends
    X-Men Legends II
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

If you enjoy Marvel's comic book characters being in video games. They took what worked for Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and applied it to those characters. Note that X-Men Legends I & II only work on regular Xbox if you go the Xbox route for getting them (they're on PS2 and Gamecube). Then the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are both on the 360.

Originally I was just an X-Men fan, making the Legends games a real boon for me. I was pretty unfamiliar with the other Marvel characters except for Spider-Man, so Ultimate Alliance was a great introduction to seeing what other franchises Marvel had while still getting to play as 3 (or 4 depending on version) of the most useful X-Men from the Legends games.

Also, you might like Dungeons & Dragons Heroes for Xbox.

Darkstone for PS1 is ok and addictive, but I prefer PS1 Diablo to it.

Champions of Norrath & Champions Return to Arms for PS2 are good, but unlike Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 & 2 you can't jump.

I second the Untold Legends games on PSP.

I played the demo of Dungeon Hunter Alliance on PS3 (digital download) and liked it as well. They have it in physical form for PS Vita too.

There might be others but these are all I've played yet for consoles. PSP can kinda count as a console cause you can play the games on the TV with a video cord (except for the original model)
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh, I'm including hand held systems as well, though I don't have any of the latest ones (3DS or Vita). By 'console only' I just meant that I wasn't really interested PC or mobile games. And I don't really do downloadable titles either really since I feel weird about digital content sitting unplayed for months (or years rather). It doesn't bother me as much when it's a physical copy though...go figure.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! If anyone else has any suggestions, please keep them coming. I just realized that I own a few of the titles some of you mentioned. Here's what we've got so far (the ones I own are in bold, and I always opt for 360 for multi-platform titles):

1. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (XBOX)
    2. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (XBOX)
    3. Bard's Tale, The (XBOX)
    4. Champions of Norrath (PS2)
    5. Champions: Return to Arms (PS2)
    6. Darkstone (PS1)
    7. Diablo (PS1)
    8. Dungeons and Dragon's Hereos (XBOX)
    9. Dungeon Siege III (360)
    10. Marvel Ultimate Allience (360)
    11. Sacred 2 (360)
    12. Untold Legends Brotherhood of the Blade (PSP)
    13. Untold Legends The Warrior's Code (PSP)
    14. X-Men Legends (PSP)
    15. X-Men Legends II (PSP)

I love cheap games, and it seems these types of games don't hold much of a value, fortunately. All of the ones I own were bought for close to nothing (except for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II, such was about 25 bucks, IIRC).

BTW, 'Untold Legends' sounds like an oxymoron. :/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Record of Lodoss War(Dreamcast)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Loot-Drop Games

I'm pretty sure the genre is called "loot drop" because the replay value and incentives to grind are all in the form of "any monster I kill might conceivably give me a better piece of loot". Whether or not that's the ultimate weapon, a key quest item, or even a max health potion is irrelevant; it's all "loot" that was "dropped". One of the first games I played on PS2 was Baldur's Gate II, because one of my friends was into that scene big-time and it was the current "Diablo clone" at the time. I loved it, but coincidentally, I don't really like Diablo. When he and his buddies moved on to Champions of Norrath, I didn't. The game seemed fine but I was still into Baldur's Gate II and didn't just want to drop it to "keep up". I play what I like, and if I hadn't enjoyed Baldur's Gate II I wouldn't have played it either. So my initial reason for posting here was to mention Champions of Norrath because of my early PS2 memory of it, but Kupomogli beat me to it.
    Second, if FieryReign doesn't quit mentioning titles before I get to a thread to post the same titles, I am going to be forced to think that he has good taste in games!!! Lodoss War for DC is a great game. That's strike two, FieryReign. I advise you to "reign" in your advice before I have to start respecting your opinion!
    Third, I know you said overhead hack and slash, but I'd advise Way of the Samurai for PS2 for it's loot-drop aspect. I love playing through that game which can be done in under six hours easily, while still hitting every crucial story arc/plot point. Multiple endings for insane replay value. You get to kill almost everyone if you choose. A ton of different types of weapons with different strengths and fighting styles. You can probably even find it for 5 bucks somewhere. Just get it, you won't regret it.
    Lastly, how the heck has noone mentioned Kingdom Hearts?!?!?!!! 1 and 2 The first one is much better, while the second one has nicer graphics. Definitely loot-drop in that game; what a pain to get all the stuff needed for alchemy into the best weapons or getting that awesome shield for Goofy from one of those big black round guys at the end. Amazing game, has a whole fricking slew of sequels, is based on TWO HUGE FRANCHISES that actually got combined very well. It fits the bill in every aspect, but because it's got a more involved interface, a lot of people probably won't count it in the same genre. It's a shame because even though I consider it on the "fringe" of loot-drop, more people would claim it falls more into the action or RPG sections of a Venn diagram. I don't think that it's fair to Kingdom Hearts to be excluded from a list of loot-drop games, just because it seamlessly weaves a bunch of genres together. If it drops loot that may or may not be great RANDOMLY, it counts.
    P.S. If you completely fall off the banana wagon with Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy XII has a similar style of combat, but definitely doesn't count for the purposes of this thread.
    Last edited by Crystalian; 12-03-2012 at 08:02 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I know you said you don't do PC games, and aren't crazy about downloadables, but I'm playing Torchlight for the first time now, and I think it is one of the best in this genre. Lots of people agree with me, it would seem. And I've been hearing Torchlight II is fantastic as well; better even. Plus, both run great on older machines, so you can get them super cheap on a Steam sale sometime so you aren't 'wasting' much money at all on a digital game. I think I got Torchlight in a recent Humble Bundle, so I didn't pay more than $10 or so for it plus a bunch of other games (and I could have paid like $1). Torchlight II was $10 yesterday from Gamestop digital distro, and I'm sure will be in a Steam sale before the end of the year for 10 or less.

I'm not sure about XBL sales, so not sure if you can get it cheap that way at some point.

I was a huge fan of Diablo and D2. Sank more hours into those then I want to think about. Then played a crap-ton of Guild Wars. I picked up D3 when it came out, but it just doesn't have the same spark for me that the previous ones had. I can't say why. I didn't get all that far into it and just sort of lost interest. Torchlight on the other hand I'm excited to keep playing whenever I have the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh, Record of Lodoss War is one of these overhead loot drop games? I had no idea. I'm a fan of the Anime, and the Dreamcast, and the genre, so that sounds like all win. Thanks!

I own about 3 of the Kingdom Hearts games, but only played a few hours of the first. It's nothing like the other games in this genre from what I remember. I don't recall it being overheard, and I don't remember much loot being dropped either. Maybe I just don't remember it well enough.

Unfortunately my computer can't run facebook flash games without crashing, so until I upgrade, the notion of adding any PC games to the list for me is nill, even if I wanted to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Oh, Record of Lodoss War is one of these overhead loot drop games? I had no idea. I'm a fan of the Anime, and the Dreamcast, and the genre, so that sounds like all win. Thanks!
    There's also a hidden gem called Silver, for the Dreamcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX6OCgYVIPc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Lodoss War on the DC is an AWESOME loot drop game and its made even better if you have seen either anime adaptation. Lets just say some familiar characters make an appearance. Although one thing I really enjoyed about the game is not only the loot drop, but the fact that you can forge your own weapons and enhance items that have empty sockets available.

If you can track down a copy you'll surely enjoy it.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I didn't realize that Silver was that sort of game. Great. I just checked my meager Dreamcast collection and surprisingly, I actually own it! I don't own Record of Lodoss War though, unfortunately. I always see a copy at a local gaming store, but I always pass because over 30 bucks, and I'm just not paying that for any Dreamcast game anymore (unless it's a new indie release).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Sacred 2 (PS360)
    A true gem and a good evolution to the action rpg genre. Too bad the company went bankrupt and the servers no longer exist, though tons to be enjoyed in singleplayer!

Other many good suggestions, though if you want to see the genre more evolved and have a pc try out Hellgate or Path of Exile.

Also Marvel Heroes is coming out soon from the original creators of Diablo, which shoud be great.

Good luck, many good choices.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I know you're looking for console games, but if you have an iPad or Android device

Eternity Warriors II is free, has 2 player simultaneous online multiplayer, and in lieu of paying for in-game currency (which isn't really that necessary anyway) you can easily download free apps from TapJoy (and then just delete them after you get the gems).

It's a lot like Baldur's Gate. Tons of loot drops and item upgrades. Fun and free!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

You forgot to put Dungeon Hunter: Alliance for PS Vita that I mentioned.

Another cheapie I forgot about was Legion: The Legend of Excalibur for PS2
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]