Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about burned CD games..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Quick question about burned CD games..

Hey guys, I just have a few quick questions about Burned CD games.
    I just fixed my Sega CDX with a laser replacement yesterday, and I'm ready to play! But I have almost no games for it! Although I usually refuse to use burned games, I just don't have the funds to buy more of these unless I pick them up dirt cheap.

Is it true that burned CD games can damage the laser?
    Are there certain brands which are safer to use?
    Higher quality?

Thank you for your advice!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I've heard that, basically, as long as your media is Taiyo Yuden, you're safe.

That being said I've never seen a consensus on whether or not burns will kill your laser faster, so if that's a concern you might want to play it safe and only play originals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks!
    Getting a definitive answer is difficult.. we need a laser professional.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know the extent it has been discussed here, but here was a decent discussion with plenty of information from another forum: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18357

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From my experiences it comes down to a few factors:

- The quality of the CD-R media

- The quality of your burner

- The quality of the disc image

- The quality of your burn

If you use junk CD-R with very low reflectivity it's possible that your system will have a hard time reading the games at all. In some cases this can result in the laser having to use increased voltage to read the disc, and reduces its lifespan. Like many others, I recommend Taiyo Yuden. I've had good success with Mitsui as well. Try to use silver bottom's when possible. Gold, Black, or other colored bottoms are a bit more difficult to read for older systems.

The quality of your burner can also make a difference. Many modern burners are not really that great at burning CD's. They're more focused on DVD-R nowadays. Look for brands that others have had success with, or go for an older model. http://club.myce.com/ is a great source of information.

The disc image can also make a tremendous difference. Stay away from older rips of games. These were made hastily in the old days when it was a miracle just to get the games to play. Many older rips use odd formats that are not properly dummied, use incorrect file structures, or have missing music. Improper dummying and file structure can cause unnecessarily long load times and wear on the laser track of your system. The Dreamcast scene is very good about putting up the best quality rips possible, but for the PS1 sadly it is very difficult to find proper rips of some games. If you want to go the extra mile you might learn how to dummy your own ps1/mega cd/pce-CD games.

Finally, the settings you use when burning the disc can make a big difference.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BURN AT 1X.

4x, 8x, and 16x will work fine most of the time. 1x is a carryover from the early days when CD burners were not nearly as advanced as they are now, and most discs were designed to operate the best from a 1x burn. This is not the case anymore. Most CD-R media is designed for a much higher speed, and will perform best when burned at these speeds. My Taiyo Yuden's load the smoothest and most reliably when burned at 16x in my Plextor Plexwriter. It may be different for you.

So no, when done properly CD-R's will not harm your console. In fact, it is probably quite a bit easier on the system to play a brand new CD-R than a scratched up CD-ROM.
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 12-16-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

* Start rant *

Sigh, this thread makes me sad. You do realize you have the Cadillac of 16-bit Sega systems there, don't you? And to take the analogy further, you want to now go off-roading in it? Really?

Talk about unintended consequences...I no longer feel the need to share tech info to get more of these systems back in circulation if this is what happens. If you want to throw burned CD-Rs in there, you are better off selling it complete for $180 and using the funds to buy a regular model 2 flip top Sega CD and Genesis.

I thought this site was about saving & preserving games and systems, not ripping them off.

Time to go play my repaired CDX using a real copy of Silpheed to wash the taste of this experience away.

* End rant *

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    * Start rant *

Sigh, this thread makes me sad. You do realize you have the Cadillac of 16-bit Sega systems there, don't you? And to take the analogy further, you want to now go off-roading in it? Really?

Talk about unintended consequences...I no longer feel the need to share tech info to get more of these systems back in circulation if this is what happens. If you want to throw burned CD-Rs in there, you are better off selling it complete for $180 and using the funds to buy a regular model 2 flip top Sega CD and Genesis.

I thought this site was about saving & preserving games and systems, not ripping them off.

Time to go play my repaired CDX using a real copy of Silpheed to wash the taste of this experience away.

* End rant *
    Sometimes the best way to preserve a game is to rip a copy of it and play the copy so that the actual disc isn't subject to wear and tear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've bought more CD's and carts due to playing roms, emulators, and burned cd's more than I could ever imagine otherwise. I think it really helps the retro collecting industry.

As far as the CDX goes. If you replaced the laser and you don't have any games to try on it how do you know it's working?

You may have to make adjustments to the console using a real disc first.

Just a note, I have played burned CD's in many consoles for many years and have not had it cause any problems. Like mentioned, if the laser, the cd image, the quality of the cd and burner are good there shouldn't be any problems. Have you ever heard of burned music cd's destroying a cd player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    * Start rant *

* End rant *
    The OP has stated that he has replaced the laser assembly with a new one. It's quite likely this replacement is a Chinese clone that was made in the last couple of years. Even if he wears it out, what exactly has been lost?

Further still, in the near future many commercially pressed CD-ROMs will begin to deteriorate due to bit-rot, mis-handling, sun damage, thrown away, lost, etc. In this case, all that will be left will be CD-R's. Would you prefer to have the discussion about them now, or later?

Additionally, this site has a variety of threads which address the subject of reproduction games, usually in the form of cartridges. These are wildly perceived to be "saving and preserving" these precious rare games, or allowing people to play things such as hacks, unreleased games, or demos. How is it any different for CD games?
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 12-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Sometimes the best way to preserve a game is to rip a copy of it and play the copy so that the actual disc isn't subject to wear and tear.
    Or just handle your media carefully. I never understand why people insist that CDs/DVDs wear on their own.

Don't drop on floor, don't touch the surface, don't wipe disc with Brillo pad, don't use as a coaster, etc. my copy of Wipeout looks brand new despite having been played like a zillion times. The case is sorta rough, but that's easily taken care of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Or just handle your media carefully. I never understand why people insist that CDs/DVDs wear on their own.

Don't drop on floor, don't touch the surface, don't wipe disc with Brillo pad, don't use as a coaster, etc. my copy of Wipeout looks brand new despite having been played like a zillion times. The case is sorta rough, but that's easily taken care of.
    I'll agree with this, with the exception for some systems which have a tray or slot loading mechanism. The early ps2's especially seem hard on discs. However, anything which uses a lid should retain pristine discs as long as you are careful.

The real issue with disc scratching comes from buying used copies. What if you find a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga at a Good Will, but one or more of the discs are unreadable? Should you be forced to find another copy in better condition, and simply place the scratched copy on the shelf? I think that's unreasonable.
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 12-16-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    I'll agree with this, with the exception for some systems which have a tray or slot loading mechanism. The early ps2's especially seem hard on discs. However, anything which uses a lid should retain pristine discs as long as you are careful.

The real issue with disc scratching comes from buying used copies. What if you find a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga at a Good Will, but one or more of the discs are unreadable? Should you be forced to find another copy in better condition, and simply place the scratched copy on the shelf? I think that's unreasonable.
    Of course it's unreasonable. They're fucking toys for crying out loud. Sometimes hardcore nerds forget that. They get so wrapped up in elitist puritanical bullshit that forget that sometimes people just want to actually play the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's easy to preach about proper care if all you have are games you bought new.
    You have to deal with a lot of wear and tear buying used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have the option of not buying beat used games. I know I sure don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    You have the option of not buying beat used games. I know I sure don't.
    So, what should be done with them then? Tossed in the recycle bin? ...

In theory, buying a scratched or unreadable copy can be a good deal if you have moral reservations about playing a game without owning a legit copy of it, but are not in the habit of buying $50+ games. It doesn't really help you in any legal sense, but it might make you feel warm and fuzzy.
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 12-17-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    So, what should be done with them then? Tossed in the recycle bin? ...

In theory, buying a scratched or unreadable copy can be a good deal if you have moral reservations about playing a game without owning a legit copy of it, but are not in the habit of buying $50+ games. It doesn't really help you in any legal sense, but it might make you feel warm and fuzzy.
    Yup. I'd keep the case if it's in good shape and toss the game in the trash (since you can't recycle it). I don't keep shit that's broken beyond repair unless I can use it for parts, and I don't care for CD/DVD coasters.

I don't have ANY moral reservations about playing backups of games that haven't been available at retail for 15+ years, ESPECIALLY if they weren't EVER available in this country (i.e. stuff like Radiant Silvergun, Marvel vs SF, etc). I'm not taking food from anyone's mouth by doing so.

Legally you are within your rights to make ONE backup of a soft that you legitimately own. It's a holdover from decades ago, but is still technically applicable.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Just FYI--I suspect I killed the laser on my cd 32 playing cdrs. I followed all the advice, bought the right kind of cdrs, burned at a slow speed, etc. and one day it wouldn't load any games at all.

I don't know exactly what happened, but I'm just putting this out there as a cautionary tale...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id just go with emulation over messing with burned copies, especially for the Sega CD. Kega Fusion is an awesome choice. The way I see it is either to go emulation route, or real deal all the way.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Id just go with emulation over messing with burned copies, especially for the Sega CD. Kega Fusion is an awesome choice. The way I see it is either to go emulation route, or real deal all the way.
    Well yeah, except that burns are basically identical from a playing standpoint, whereas emulation is not.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    The way I see it is either to go emulation route, or real deal all the way.
    +1 I totally agree. Part of the fun of classic game collecting is to get that great deal at auction or in the wild. Save up until you can afford to do things right, to the OP, you have a great, rare system to start with if you want to get into collecting the Sega CD or Genesis.