Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local store got a ton of SFC Imports

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I went back to the store today, and picked up Acrobat Mission and Assault Suits Valken.

Acrobat Mission is a vertical shooter (funny, because I kinda expected it to be a Japanese version of Aero the Acrobat). Oddly, all the text is in English, so I know what the story is... except that it scrolls too fast to read in one sitting. Anyway, the game itself seems pretty good. It's kind of a poor man's Raiden Project, and it has a strange damage mechanic--you can't die from a collision and sometimes bullets seem to go right through me, but bombs hang on your side and they can be shot off by enemies (causing them to detonate early). When you die, you get a chance to pilot the ship into something you want to crash into, in order to damage it, which I think is kinda cool.

As for the other... HOLY CRAP, I LOVE VALKEN! I just wish I understood Japanese, because honestly I didn't think a Gundam-wannabe would be this fun.

... The guy got more imports, by the way. Some boxed Super Famicom games, most of them sports or Derpy Stallion games. Two games came in square (not rectangle) boxes. One of these was a derby simulation, and the other... looked like some sort of music-making software? It wasn't Mario Paint. Should I pick these two up?

He also had a metric ton of RPGs, including a boxed (I didn't check for completeness) Ogre Battle, Albert Oddysey, Dragon Quest VI (he wants $25 for this), Final Fantasy VI, and a ton of others I didn't really recognize. I saw Silva Saga II in there, but I can't recall the others off the top of my head. There was also another "Sound Novel" (as the box called it)

... On top of that, he has PLAYSTATION ONE games! Among his lot, I saw Vampire: the Night Warriors, Namco Museum vol 3 and volume 5 (strongly tempted to pick up the latter just for Dragon Spirit), some visual novel called The Mysterious Hospital, a Japanese version of Parappa the Rapper (almost bought this one), Arc the Lad, Genso Suikoden, and several others whose names escape me right now. Among his lot I saw one I HAD to own and bought immediately: Clock Tower 2--and I DON'T mean "The Struggle Within," I mean the good one, with Scissorman (it's another "Japan name/USA name" issue). The spoken dialogue is in English but the text is in Japanese, so I kinda-sorta have an idea what's going on, but... I need to take courses or something.

I'm getting to a point where I only want imports from this guy now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the SNES Acrobat Mission gets much better reviews than the arcade one - count yourself lucky there!

ASV is a fine choice. No love for Chohmakaimura, though? (It's just Super GnG but yeah.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    No love for Chohmakaimura, though? (It's just Super GnG but yeah.)
    If I weren't on a budget I might've grabbed it. As it is though, doesn't make sense to buy a fourth copy of a game I already own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, if you're not getting steals on these, I'd leave 'em be.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Some boxed Super Famicom games, most of them sports or Derpy Stallion games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought Derpy was a girl

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

She's probably excited to meet another Derpy pony, especially if it's a boy.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    ... On top of that, he has PLAYSTATION ONE games! Among his lot, I saw Vampire: the Night Warriors, Namco Museum vol 3 and volume 5 (strongly tempted to pick up the latter just for Dragon Spirit), some visual novel called The Mysterious Hospital, a Japanese version of Parappa the Rapper (almost bought this one), Arc the Lad, Genso Suikoden, and several others whose names escape me right now. Among his lot I saw one I HAD to own and bought immediately: Clock Tower 2--and I DON'T mean "The Struggle Within," I mean the good one, with Scissorman (it's another "Japan name/USA name" issue). The spoken dialogue is in English but the text is in Japanese, so I kinda-sorta have an idea what's going on, but... I need to take courses or something.
    Dragon Spirit is also on Namco's 50th Anniversary Collection for PS2/Xbox/GCN (but not GBA, unfortunately), and it's much cheaper that way.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rule 63!
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I wouldn't go for the music making one. From the sounds of it, it was meant as a companion to RPG Maker 2 and Sound Novel Maker, as it could use either the Super Turbo File (a memory card accessory made by ASCII) or the Memory Pak slot on top of the cart (bigger memory cards that look kind of like original Game Boy carts) to transfer data.
    I wouldn't pay too much if you wanted Ogre Battle either. The Japanese versions are A TON more common than the English versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

One little typo and this becomes a pony thread. [blush]

Also dude only wanted $15 for Namco Museum 5, which is half what I see on Amazon. Shoulda grabbed it honestly.

I wish he had Encore as well.. then I could get Dragon Saber as well.