Thread: How To Make PC Gaming Better [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb How To Make PC Gaming Better [Slashdot]

New submitter RMingin writes "Bruno Ferreira at Tech Report has a number of suggestions that he feels could improve PC gaming. Some are quite thought-provoking. For example: 'When technology advanced [in the '90s], the industry came up with a certification specification to ensure punters didn't miss out—and consequently spent more on better PCs. That spec was called MPC, short for Multimedia Personal Computer. The first version of the MPC spec said, in simple terms: Thy computer shalt be blessed with a sound card and speakers. Thou shalt be provided a CD-ROM drive in which to receive silver discs. Thy processor shalt not be completely crap. At the time, this spec meant a lot—and, to be honest, I think it worked marvelously. We need something like that again. People wanted MPC, everyone sold the better hardware, and everyone was happy. Let the powers that be come up with a new baseline specification. Call it MPC-HD or whatever acronym the marketing Nazgûl want to give it. I'm fine with whatever, as long as it gets the job done.' He also calls for an end to the unintuitive model numbers for GPUs and CPUs, and more consistent driver support."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

This isn't even an article. It's an idea for a guy to have more unified computer systems, more like game systems. The 90's wasn't like this, where is this info coming from? In theory having a PC as powerful as many other similar models sounds ok in theory, but won't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC gaming is exactly what it should be.
    If someone is confused, they should either do their homework, or buy a console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Streamlining bits and pieces could go a long way. Modern operating systems have options spread across numerous menus, many of which the average user will never know exists to be able to decide if they'd want to adjust them.

Not to mention IO ports that lack devices readily available from mainstream sources. I've sure never used my system's IR emitter/receiver.
    Lum fan.