Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need RPG suggestions for SMS and Genesis

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need RPG suggestions for SMS and Genesis

Need some ideas of good ones for each system. I don't have any and I feel the need for some long play on those systems.

I was a nintendo kid forever... (until like 3 weeks ago) so I know nothing about SMS games or genesis games.

cheaper the better.

Let me know what kind of RPG it is also, like a classic (IE dragon warrior), turn based, action, whatever

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are the Y's games any good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There really aren't many options at all for either. The Shining Force and Phantasy Star games are really on the top of a rather short list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

On the Master System I'd recommend:
    Golvellius Valley of Doom - similar to Zelda
    Golden Axe Warrior - Zelda clone, late release for the system and quite expensive
    Wonder Boy in Monster World - action-RPG, pleasant and colorful port of the Genesis game

this video actually reveals all the Master System RPGs

and while not RPGs, Kenseiden, and Wonder Boy III are great action-adventure games

On the Genesis, don't miss:
    Landstalker - one of the most brilliant games on the system imo. isometric action-RPG.
    Beyond Oasis - another action-RPG with lush graphics
    Crusader of Centy - Zelda-ish game. relatively expensive
    Light Crusader - more mature western styled graphics and challenging isometric action-RPG from Treasure design team.
    Phantasy Star IV - speaks for itself
    Uncharted Waters - very deep and time consuming (like all Koei games)
    Shining in the Darkness - traditional basic dungeon crawling RPG with splendid artwork and tight player interface.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    There really aren't many options at all for either. The Shining Force and Phantasy Star games are really on the top of a rather short list.
    Psh. Lies.

Okay for Genesis:

Shining Force 1&2: Traditional strategy RPG hybrids, as in you have all the town roaming and secrets you'd expect from any Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest but with large scale 12 character tactical battles. The series is generally known for it's quirky humor and ability to collect characters. The first game's my personal favorite, but the second game looks more like something you'd find on the SNES.

Warsong: Unlike the Shining series Warsong (otherwise known as Langriser) is your standard SRPG: battle, menu, rinse repeat. Features challenging battles complicated by perma-deaths.

Shadowrun: Semi-faithful translation of FASA's (now defunct) pen and paper Roleplaying system to electronic format. Features non-linear mission based gameplay and dark cyberpunk atmosphere.

Crusader of Centy: The Genesis's answer to a Link to the Past. Straight up Zelda clone about a boy who's granted the power to communicate with animals. So as you can imagine, you collect animal companions with unique abilities that are used to solve puzzles.

LandStalker: isometric action RPG. Again you'll find the Zelda formula of collecting items to solve puzzles and unlock new areas to explore. Good humor, colorful graphics, and difficult jump sequences driven by the game's perspective. Side note: made by half the team responsible for the first two Shining games.

Shining in the Darkness: the original Shining game. First person dungeon crawler. Again has great humor, characters with personality, and colorful graphics. Not as deep as Wizardry, but not as dry either.

Phantasy Star 2&4: Traditional menu-based RPGs known for their engaging space opera-esque storyline, memorable characters, and in the case of PSIV, comic style cutscenes.

Pier Solar: Homebrew release designed to match the quality and storytelling of the greatest SNES RPGs. Expensive, but worth the price of admission. Or you could wait out on the digital release of the HD version.

Pirates! Gold: another port of Sid Meyer's historical high sea's classic. Manage your own pirate ship and crew, sack towns, fight naval battles, and hunt down buried treasure.
    Last edited by Daria; 12-30-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    The Ys series is a hard sell for most people. The first Ys game I could tell you most people aren't going to give it a chance. I'd honestly say for most people you'd probably want to end up avoiding their earlier games because the cost outweighs the quality. I'd recommend the remakes as they're much better and very cheap.

If you do decide to get them, avoid Ys Vanished Omens for the SMS. If you want to play Ys Book 1 and 2 then pick up either the TG16CD version or one of the remakes(PC and PSP.)

Ys 3 Wanderers from Ys is fairly good, any of the versions. The remake, Ys Oath in Felghana(PC and PSP) is amazing.

For SMS I'd recommend Phantasy Star.

For Genesis

Phantasy Star 2 and 4
    Sword of Vermillion
    Fatal Labyrinth
    Might and Magic 2(better than the PC version)
    Shining in the Darkness
    Warsong

I'd avoid the Shining Force games. With as many good TRPGs out there for you to spend your money on, the Shining Force games are pretty and they're playable , but they're some of the most overrated TRPGs out there. If you want the games, I'd say get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the PS360 for dirt cheap rather than the way overpriced cartridges.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks like most of the bases have been covered. Here's some of my personal favorites...

SMS
    Phantasy Star 1
    Golden Axe Warrior

Genesis
    Phantasy Star 2-4
    Shining Force 1&2
    Landstalker
    Beyond Oasis

I didn't really realize what a gold mine the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was. I'll have to pay better attention for a copy now and snap it up.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Genesis rpgs that i recommend.

SRPG
    Shining Force 1&2
    Shining Force CD

Turned Based RPGS
    Phantasy Star,series
    Pier Solar
    Lunar TSSS
    Lunar EB

ARPG
    Landstalker
    Cursader of the Centy
    Popful Mail
    Beyond Oasis

Also as kupo mention for SF1&2 they can get up in price boxed any ways.Still SF1&2 are on the ultimate sonic genesis collection for the cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'd avoid the Shining Force games. With as many good TRPGs out there for you to spend your money on, the Shining Force games are pretty and they're playable , but they're some of the most overrated TRPGs out there.
    Says the guy with the Final Fantasy username.

Anyway, not every game is going to appeal to everyone universally. But you'll find that Kupo's opinion of the Shining games is very much in the minority. However I do agree that if budget is in an issue to pick up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection as you'll essentially snag a ton of Sega's pricier RPGs in one purchase. Not only will you get SF1&2, and PS1-4, but you'll also get Golden Axe Warrior (nes Zelda clone), Beyond Oasis (action RPG), Fatal Labyinth (mystery dungeon/rogue clone) and Shining in the Darkness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Some others possibly worth checking out - with the exception of Master of Monsters these are not among the best Genesis rpgs but still of possible interest:

Master of Monsters - Great strategy rpg - one of the few rpg strategy games to use hex grid maps - I think it also used zones of control - but it has been a long time since I last played it.

Traysia - farily lightweight but still enjoyable

Dungeons and Dragons - Warriors of the Eternal Sun - not your typical D&D game

Rings of Power - kinda hard game at first - but rewarding if you stick with it

King's Bounty - really odd strategy game that is pretty unique - it is set in a fantasy world but whether it is an rpg or not is up to debate - this is one game most people (if they have ever heard of it) either really like or really dislike

Gemfire - Another strategy game that dances around being an RPG - by far the simplest KOEI strategy game - its biggest advantage is being able to knock off a game in a night or two - perfect filler when you want to play something but don't want to start a lengthy game
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Psh. Lies.

Okay for Genesis:

Shining Force 1&2: Traditional strategy RPG hybrids, as in you have all the town roaming and secrets you'd expect from any Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest but with large scale 12 character tactical battles. The series is generally known for it's quirky humor and ability to collect characters. The first game's my personal favorite, but the second game looks more like something you'd find on the SNES.

Warsong: Unlike the Shining series Warsong (otherwise known as Langriser) is your standard SRPG: battle, menu, rinse repeat. Features challenging battles complicated by perma-deaths.

Shadowrun: Semi-faithful translation of FASA's (now defunct) pen and paper Roleplaying system to electronic format. Features non-linear mission based gameplay and dark cyberpunk atmosphere.

Crusader of Centy: The Genesis's answer to a Link to the Past. Straight up Zelda clone about a boy who's granted the power to communicate with animals. So as you can imagine, you collect animal companions with unique abilities that are used to solve puzzles.

LandStalker: isometric action RPG. Again you'll find the Zelda formula of collecting items to solve puzzles and unlock new areas to explore. Good humor, colorful graphics, and difficult jump sequences driven by the game's perspective. Side note: made by half the team responsible for the first two Shining games.

Shining in the Darkness: the original Shining game. First person dungeon crawler. Again has great humor, characters with personality, and colorful graphics. Not as deep as Wizardry, but not as dry either.

Phantasy Star 2&4: Traditional menu-based RPGs known for their engaging space opera-esque storyline, memorable characters, and in the case of PSIV, comic style cutscenes.

Pier Solar: Homebrew release designed to match the quality and storytelling of the greatest SNES RPGs. Expensive, but worth the price of admission. Or you could wait out on the digital release of the HD version.

Pirates! Gold: another port of Sid Meyer's historical high sea's classic. Manage your own pirate ship and crew, sack towns, fight naval battles, and hunt down buried treasure.

So 10-ish games is a vast library?

Come on, the Genesis isn't known for its massive library of RPGs. I'm not crapping on the Genesis. RPGs just aren't one of the strengths of the system. Sorta like listing the best SHMUPS for the SNES, the list pales in comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Come on, the Genesis isn't known for its massive library of RPGs. I'm not crapping on the Genesis. RPGs just aren't one of the strengths of the system. Sorta like listing the best SHMUPS for the SNES, the list pales in comparison.
    Has 32ish actually. But when you're talking the best of the best 12 titles isn't too shabby. Of course it's not the powerhouse of RPGs the SNES was (especially when you consider SFC titles) but the games ARE there, and they ARE damn good.

Also in response to Natty Bumpoo's post, I agree with Traysia and Warriors of the Eternal Sun. Not great games by far, but fun. D&D:WOTC is a dark game, takes place in the Hollow World universe, so your party is stranded in an isolated crater where the sun never sets. There's only one town and it's inhabitants are slowly going mad. Graphically it's similar to the SNES Ultima games, isometric view point, with strategic battles on the world map and first person menu in the dungeons.
    Last edited by Daria; 12-31-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The SNES doesn't have many RPGs either compared to Playstation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    XD

And the Playstation has even fewer than the PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Has 32ish actually. But when you're talking the best of the best 12 titles isn't too shabby. Of course it's not the powerhouse of RPGs the SNES was (especially when you consider SFC titles) but the games ARE there, and they ARE damn good.

Also in response to Natty Bumpoo's post, I agree with Traysia and Warriors of the Eternal Sun. Not great games by far, but fun. D&D:WOTC is a dark game, takes place in the Hollow World universe, so your party is stranded in an isolated crater where the sun never sets. There's only one town and it's inhabitants are slowly going mad. Graphically it's similar to the SNES Ultima games, isometric view point, with strategic battles on the world map and first person menu in the dungeons.
    I meant the 10-ish that you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    Point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Point?
    Like all good arguments on the internet: there is none. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'd avoid the Shining Force games. With as many good TRPGs out there for you to spend your money on, the Shining Force games are pretty and they're playable , but they're some of the most overrated TRPGs out there. If you want the games, I'd say get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the PS360 for dirt cheap rather than the way overpriced cartridges.
    Really? Overrated? They're among the best TRPGs ever made. Shining Force II, in particular, more than stands the test of time. It was a phenomenal game when it came out and it's a phenomenal game now.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I meant the 10-ish that you posted.
    Ok, for sake of argument then how many great SNES (not SFC, not fan translated) RPGs can you name? I'll wager about 15ish. Not exactly a landslide over the Genesis.

My point isn't that the Genesis has a stronger library than the SNES, because it doesn't. But as far as localized releases the Genesis has a reputation that it doesn't deserve.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The SNES only really dominates the Genesis in RPGs when you include the vast library of Super Famicom releases. There really weren't tons of US-released RPGs for SNES, so it isn't that far ahead of the Genesis. The SNES just has the recognizable names with Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Breath of Fire, etc. Series like Shining Force and Phantasy Star (of the non-Online variety) mostly got forgotten and left behind in the 16-bit generation.

Personally, Shining Force and its sequel would probably still top my list of my favorite strategy RPGs, and they're definitely at or near the top of my favorite Genesis games. There's a reason why they're considered pillars of their genre (along with Fire Emblem). They were THAT good and influential back then, and they're still THAT good now.