Thread: What Game/s are you Playing? Daily check :)2013 (GAMEPLAY)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Unfortunately, I haven't been playing much lately. Just been busy with other things. But I did try out a couple more games from Christmas - Vay and Wild Woody on Sega CD, and I also finally started Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams for PC. This is probably the only time you guys will see me talking about playing through a PC game (outside of very rarely playing something via emulation) since I'm not a PC gamer at all. For Giana Sisters, though, I'm willing to make an exception. Back when the Kickstarter was going, I probably wouldn't have bothered contributing had it already met its goal and had it been announced that it would eventually come to XBL and PSN. Of course, that announcement couldn't have come then, so I just went ahead and settled with the PC version since, as far as I knew then, that may have been the only release and the only way to get a physical copy. So far I've played through the first three stages, and it's pretty fun.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm up to stage 3-3 in Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams for PC, which is something like 15 stages into the game, with around 8 stages remaining, I believe (there are only three worlds). I've only perfected the first 3 or so stages, though, so I've still got plenty more to do in the levels I've cleared. I'm really enjoying the game so far. It's got very clever level designs, plenty of challenge, and well-hidden secrets and sections that are almost like puzzles. It feels very much like an ode to classic games and their fans. I'd highly recommend it to anybody on here who still loves 8-bit and 16-bit platformers like me. Forget stuff like New Super Mario Bros. with its sloppy controls and pandering difficulty, Giana Sisters is way more of an homage to the classic games we love, and unlike a lot of the modern Nintendo offerings, it doesn't feel derivative despite its inspirations. It still feels very fresh and creative. If I had to pick a single game that it reminds me of, I'd go with Donkey Kong Country 2. The tag-team switching back and forth between characters, the twirl like Dixie's spin, the charge like Diddy's cartwheel, the healthy challenge, the controls that strike a nice balance between tightness and fluidity, heck, even the music reminds me a tiny bit of DKC2 at times. But I also detect some Mario, Sonic, Castlevania, and, of course, classic Giana Sisters in here. And it plays quite nice with a SNES controller.

Insert Coin (Level 0) brainerdrainer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I recently got a Sega Genesis I've been playing Castlevania Bloodlines and Streets Of Rage 1 2 and 3. Love them very very much! Also super into dragon's fury and revenge. Awesome stuff for sure!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Getting pretty close to beating Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams for PC now. I'm on 3-9, so that leaves me with just one normal stage and the final boss stage to go. My progress has slowed down a little, though. When I first started, I'd play about three stages at a time before I'd want a break, then two and maybe a quick replay of an early stage to improve my performance, and now one and maybe a replay. The later stages feel a lot longer, but maybe it's just a matter of me losing more lives rather than the stages literally being bigger, I don't know. I don't have many complaints with the game, but that would be one, as the stages do feel way too long sometimes. They could've just as well doubled the number of stages by splitting the content into shorter bursts and I wouldn't complain. It's especially a pain for redoing stages because even when you're good, they still take a decent chunk of time, and with just a few slip-ups, you have to redo it all if you're going for a perfect five star ranking.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default super nes

i have been playing a lot of snes and n64 lately.
    super Ghouls n' Ghosts & inspector gadget.
    and on n64, goldeneye 007, some smash bros
    and.... mario kart. lol
    I watch a lot of "the Game Chasers" on youtube
    and everytime, after every video, i get so stoked and
    have like a 3 hours jam session on some old games.
    their youtube is captain8bit.
    its a lot of fun to watch if you are into older games
    <3

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Never posted in one of these threads that I can recall, but feel like it right now for some reason.

I'm playing Bioshock right now. Kind of ashamed to admit it has taken me this long to get to it since I played System Shock 1 & 2 back when and loved those. Oddly, I think they were much creepier and tense than is Bioshock, but Bioshock was 'getting to me' more when I started than those earlier titles did. To the point that I wasn't eager to play. I don't like being creeped out or scared that much. Anyway, I'm just entering the Smuggler's Den (I think that's what it is called) after the battle where you had to give up all your weapons. I'm pretty well hooked at this point and can't wait to play more. Playing on PC.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm playing the Angry Birds Trilogy on 360 right now. I'm about 40% through, I'm three-starring everything as I go.

When I game with my daughter, we usually play Nintendo Land or New Super Mario Bros. U on the Wii U.