Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    You can get like 100 CR2032 holders on eBay for less than $20, why would you not use those?
    I said in my third post I don't use ebay or have paypal. Not about to start using it now either just for this.

Ill use amazon but it's too expensive on amazon.( for holders) Really I don't care that much anyway, if soldering to the battery works then I don't see the problem. I don't care if the battery explodes or it makes the battery life shorter. I can get name brand CR2032's for less then $1 a piece.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I don't care if the battery explodes or it makes the battery life shorter.
    Note to self: do not pay for services from needler420.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Note to self: do not pay for services from needler420.
    How can you pay him anyway? He said he doesn't have Paypal.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    How can you pay him anyway? He said he doesn't have Paypal.
    Check?
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Check?
    I guess that makes sense. I assumed most people would insist on paying with Paypal as that's what everyone seems to do on forums. I don't have Paypal either but I'm not trying to run a service online, from my experience few people seem to want to pay for anything with any other method.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

I take MO/amazon credit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

For anyone thinking about doing this, I agree, don't solder to the battery itself. You're going to decrease the life of the battery. That's if it doesn't explode. That being said, I love the idea of the coin battery holders. Makes it much easier to change them when they die. However, there's another option. There's a company selling the batteries with the correct tabs on them. So you desolder the old battery contacts from the game board and solder the new one on.

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/pr...h-Solder-Tabs/
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    There's a company selling the batteries with the correct tabs on them. So you desolder the old battery contacts from the game board and solder the new one on.

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/pr...h-Solder-Tabs/
    Yikes, that's expensive. The catalog sites should have them for cheaper. Newark for example, has what appears to be the exact same thing for a bit cheaper. Something similar is bound to be found for much cheaper if you look hard enough.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Yikes, that's expensive. The catalog sites should have them for cheaper. Newark for example, has what appears to be the exact same thing for a bit cheaper. Something similar is bound to be found for much cheaper if you look hard enough.
    Nice!

Thanks for posting that. I wasn't trying to promote those guys so much as I was trying to show people there was another option.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Nice!

Thanks for posting that. I wasn't trying to promote those guys so much as I was trying to show people there was another option.
    Yeah, I used to to have a job where I'd get price quotes for electronics components, so I can't get myself to pay Radio Shack prices. I wish I can remember where we bought our coin cells from since CR2032's were only about 18 cents each. Of course that's in bulk...and was probably from the factory in Asia. We would only use the catalog distributors if we had too but they are still much cheaper than retail, and generally the best option for hobbyists outside of snagging a deal on ebay.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like one of the distributors we used to use will let anyone order online now(as opposed to only businesses). It would certainly be worth a try since their prices are going to be much cheaper than the catalog sites(digikey, mouser, etc...)

Here's a CR2032 Lithium coin cell for about 32 cents.
    You have to buy at least 20(in multiples of 20), but still. That's only $6.49...or about the price Radio Shack would charge for 1.

For holders, here's one that should work. It's about 58 cents when you buy 20 which would run $11.66

Looks like shipping is a flat $9 to US customers which brings each battery replacement job to $1.35. This could further be reduced by buying higher quantities, or more parts you might need to offset the shipping.
    Last edited by jb143; 01-30-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) plasticMan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks Gameguy for pointing this post out to me, it was certainly a good read.
    there was allot of good advise given in this post and it was certainly ignored.
    the entire thing was hilarious...

I would just like to add, since I am here - although trying to solder to a battery is hard because the solder won't stick to the battery and it will fall off.
    i would recommend using a temporary holder like tape, but if you use a temporary holder like tape - you'll over heat the battery and run chances of it blowing up before the solder will even adhere to the battery.
    so add this to your cost.
    get a few cheap pieces of sand paper, i said cheap because i know you are so into cutting corners to save money.
    lightly sand each side of the battery to break the laminate on the outside of the battery, this will allow the solder particles to adhere faster and possibly save your face, if and when, the battery decides to explode from over-heating.
    this technique was coined from years of experience and i would highly recommend extreme caution if you decide to proceed.
    take into consideration what everyone has said here, it might save your life and others around you that you care about.
    it will also save your customers lives, and you from receiving a fat law suit.
    anything and everything you wrote in the forum about the disregard to the cautions can and may come back to bite you in the arse if you open a business with these practices.
    if just one customer links you back to this forum and uses what you have documented here in a court of law, then all those corners that you cut to save a dime or two will certainly cost you in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No.