Thread: odd SNES problem with RF?

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default odd SNES problem with RF?

OK, so I just got my super nintendo from ebay, seller described as in good working condition. Hooked er up, plugged in all the cables, popped in goof troop, turned it on and it works like a dream. A bit later, I popped in the same game again, and turned it on, but the signal doesn't seem to be transferring. The system lost the signal when it got shook and disconnected before, but even steady it doesn't seem to be sending it now. I saw it work perfect a half hour ago so it's got to be working right. Power light still comes on and everything seems allright. What should I do?

EDIT: fooled with it some more and tried a different RF (no changes so my RF switch is OK) and found out it's just really sensitive somewhere. Noticed the power cord goes in kind of loosely too. It's either working perfectly or giving the bluescreen at any given time and seems to change that when it's moved at all physically (e.g. ejecting carts, pulling controllers, etc).

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/2...cable+plugs+in

I think this might describe the problem. I tried the prong moving thing but don't know if it worked or not since I didn't see them get any closer and the situation didn't change. Is there any way to fix this without buying more parts? If not I'd think it best to send the damn thing back since it was specifically stated to be working correctly. The strange thing is that the power light never goes off while the system is turned on regardless of how it's working, though.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 01-06-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    OK, so I just got my super nintendo from ebay, seller described as in good working condition. Hooked er up, plugged in all the cables, popped in goof troop, turned it on and it works like a dream. A bit later, I popped in the same game again, and turned it on, but the signal doesn't seem to be transferring. The system lost the signal when it got shook and disconnected before, but even steady it doesn't seem to be sending it now. I saw it work perfect a half hour ago so it's got to be working right. Power light still comes on and everything seems allright. What should I do?

EDIT: fooled with it some more and tried a different RF (no changes so my RF switch is OK) and found out it's just really sensitive somewhere. Noticed the power cord goes in kind of loosely too. It's either working perfectly or giving the bluescreen at any given time and seems to change that when it's moved at all physically (e.g. ejecting carts, pulling controllers, etc).

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/2...cable+plugs+in

I think this might describe the problem. I tried the prong moving thing but don't know if it worked or not since I didn't see them get any closer and the situation didn't change. Is there any way to fix this without buying more parts? If not I'd think it best to send the damn thing back since it was specifically stated to be working correctly. The strange thing is that the power light never goes off while the system is turned on regardless of how it's working, though.
    Open it up and look for cracked solder joints near the RF port, also try an AV cable, you should probably be using that anyways.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

looking into it more, I'm pretty sure the problem isn't with the RF switch now. that fits in snugly. The power cord's the part that's loose. it seems similar to this topic: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...-double-prong-! but when I tried to bend the pins that way it completely lost power and I had to bend them back to how they were when I first got it to regain the light. I think the problem has changed to figuring out exactly how to tighten the power in so that it goes in fully and stays there reliably.

EDIT: bent it a little more and problem seems solved for now
    Last edited by recorderdude; 01-06-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a snes a couple of weeks ago that had the same problem,since I had a spare broken snes motherboard and I swap the back plastic piece that had a good power jack and now it works great.