Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn vs Turbo Grafx CD

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Funny to see SS and PCE mentioned together. Just one thing missing. SFC. These three together represent the best of everything. Some of the best gaming machines with respect to their era/generation (not to imply they are necessarily superior to their competitors, just that they are very adequately equipped to perform), vast libraries spanning most or all genres, and just massive amounts of amazing games, amazing works in general, including the little details like graphic design, soundtrack compositions, etc.

I chose SFC over FC/FDS just by a hair due to the help of higher fidelity audio and 16-bit graphics combined with the much larger library. The extra power makes it easier to deliver some seriously impressive shit (e.g. Tales of Phantasia, Tactics Ogre)

The majority of the Japanese game consoles have their shining areas but these three were the brightest stars. With these three systems, I've already gotten tons of memories of amazing stories, imagery, and music, and there's still HUNDREDS more titles to go through I don't even have...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    They do? That seems rather stupid since the ps2 is capable of displaying 240p just fine.
    I recall hearing something about this as well. However it works out, the Sega Ages games seem to support 240p (at least some of them), while many other games are 480i only. Ditto for games with 480p support (probably the more glamorous concern for many gamers during the PS2's lifespan).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Does anyone think threads about old games sometimes make people want to buy them? I sometimes wonder if threads on forums are what drive prices of certain games up? Want to sell a game? Make a thread about it and get some discussion going just before you post it in the sales thread. Who has a Saturn and a TurboGrafx-16 CD for sale? Now's your chance while the topic is hot!
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Does anyone think threads about old games sometimes make people want to buy them? I sometimes wonder if threads on forums are what drive prices of certain games up? Want to sell a game? Make a thread about it and get some discussion going just before you post it in the sales thread. Who has a Saturn and a TurboGrafx-16 CD for sale? Now's your chance while the topic is hot!
    Yes, I do! It's notable for games which get some massive coverage over a short span of time, like Zero Wing's 2000-2001-ish price spike. Another possibility is that games exist in small quantities; many games have been subjected to discussion on Shmups Forum and then we see a number of forum members want to buy an original board, and then the price ends up somewhat higher (at least for a while).

I used to wonder (a little) about how much "hoarding" contributes to higher prices, but I think I would mistake the end result of the purchase with the influence of the way in which it was bought. Surely reducing the number of units will cause a price increase (according to supply and demand) but I always used to think was a bigger problem was when people submitted to higher prices or made high bids without thinking. That, also, has been a highly influential trend on Shmups and some other niche arcade forums - you can read to your heart's content about how the community has dealt with one person partially responsible for inflating the market here.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I've been guilty to some extent of impulse buying in the past. I think video review shows like AVGN, Game Sack, Metal Jesus Rocks, Irate Gamer, Happy Nerd, whatever, have a lot of influence. Often you just don't think of a game/system until someone points it out.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    Funny to see SS and PCE mentioned together. Just one thing missing. SFC. These three together represent the best of everything. Some of the best gaming machines with respect to their era/generation (not to imply they are necessarily superior to their competitors, just that they are very adequately equipped to perform), vast libraries spanning most or all genres, and just massive amounts of amazing games, amazing works in general, including the little details like graphic design, soundtrack compositions, etc.

I chose SFC over FC/FDS just by a hair due to the help of higher fidelity audio and 16-bit graphics combined with the much larger library. The extra power makes it easier to deliver some seriously impressive shit (e.g. Tales of Phantasia, Tactics Ogre)

The majority of the Japanese game consoles have their shining areas but these three were the brightest stars. With these three systems, I've already gotten tons of memories of amazing stories, imagery, and music, and there's still HUNDREDS more titles to go through I don't even have...
    Hence the big problem with this topic. We're on a US based message board talking about the US PCE. Without its Japanese library, PCE can't begin to hold any hope against SS.
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    We're on a US based message board
    Which talks about Japanese systems and games more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw
    Without its Japanese library, PCE can't begin to hold any hope against SS.
    Hmm? USA had PCE? When did that happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Saturn Wins

Why don't we have Sega CD vs Turbo CD, that would be fair

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Having had a TG-16 around the time of release, I can tell you that it was the first system I ever owned that had a lot of import support from game shops in the US. In Los Angeles, we had three that I used to visit regularly that all sold coverters and import games. So, while we didn't have a PCE here, we certainly had very easy access to PCE games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Japanese creators yes. Not so much actual importing from Japan itself. A big difference.

Well maybe I shouldn't have called it PCE. But Turbo Grafx CD was such a laughable failure compared to the mighty PCE CD, that fact barely even deserves mention in this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Los Angeles
    Exactly. Wasn't TG-16 infamous for its putrid lack of distribution effort, difficult to find outside major metropolitan areas?
    Lum fan.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Japanese creators yes. Not so much actual importing from Japan itself. A big difference.

Well maybe I shouldn't have called it PCE. But Turbo Grafx CD was such a laughable failure compared to the mighty PCE CD, that fact barely even deserves mention in this topic.

Exactly. Wasn't TG-16 infamous for its putrid lack of distribution effort, difficult to find outside major metropolitan areas?
    Actually, it had pretty good distribution from what I recall, at least for a third party gaming system. It was in every Toys R Us location in the US and a couple of the pre-Gamestop chains carried it at malls. It wasn't at big box retail from what I recall, but then again, big box retail wasn't what it is now back then. Heck, in Southern California we didn't even have Best Buy or Target until the mid-90s in many areas. It also got tons of coverage in magazines at the time. They didn't have much in the way of advertising, but I know people I went to school with at least were aware of it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Having had a TG-16 around the time of release, I can tell you that it was the first system I ever owned that had a lot of import support from game shops in the US. In Los Angeles, we had three that I used to visit regularly that all sold coverters and import games. So, while we didn't have a PCE here, we certainly had very easy access to PCE games.
    Same with Saturn import titles. I remember the game store sold Japanese Saturn games. When I compare the libraries of both systems, in my opinion, the Saturn wins hands down. Saturn has a ton of games that I love playing. Saturn has most of the Sonic games, Nights, Bug!, a lot more Street Fighter games, Metal Slug, Gex, and many other games that the Turbo couldn't even handle. I prefer my Saturn even over my Playstation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Well if you guys come across anyone who lived on Whidbey Island WA during the actively supported life of TG16 (approx 1989 to 1994) to have potentially seen any product related to the console officially distributed way out here, or was a store employee to know about it, hit me up with the details!
    Lum fan.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was a distant 3rd place console because they didnt have the distribution or marketing like Sega and Nintendo had. That simple. If they were to sell to places in the US then it would have been larger populated areas. I grew up in Austin TX, and I didnt know about it, but I also wasnt into games as much. The retro store near me has it and the CD drive.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 01-08-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've lived in Dallas since 89. I saw the TG-16 at Toys R' Us, along with the CD attachment. They had it in a cubed display at the endcap, with Sherlock Holmes: Consulting detective. It wasn't that hard to find, but it was way too expensive for the games that were being sold. JJ & Jeff and Bonk were not what I would call system sellers.

I eventually got a TG-16, along with about 8 used games from Floppy Joes in Plano. I probably would have bought a Turbo-Duo, but the North American lineup did not justify the price of the unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

See, Dallas. Another big city. I clearly think we're reaching a pattern with users who remember the TG16.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

See, Dallas. Another big city. I clearly think we're reaching a pattern with users who remember the TG16.
    You didn't have a Toys R' Us?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

No. Distance wise the nearest one to my current location requires a ferry.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm... Turbo CD only versus Saturn's no challenge at all, the Saturn wins. But that's unfair, because by leaving out HuCard games you're cutting out over half of the library for no reason; you count all Saturn games, so of course all TG16/CD games should count too.

And yeah, between TG16+CD versus Saturn, import titles included... that's really hard, I can't decide easily. I might give the slight edge to the TG16+CD, though; it is my third favorite 4th gen console (the TG16; I like it a lot, but the SNES and Genesis with Sega CD and 32X are a bit better) versus my second or third favorite 5th gen one (the Saturn; the N64 is my favorite, but PS1 vs. Saturn is close), so I don't know... do I like all three 4th gen systems more than all but one 5th gen one? Hard to decide, but... maybe yes. I got the Saturn and TG16 at the same time, several years ago, and have probably played the Saturn more since then, though. However, part of that is because there are a lot more Saturn games, and they're cheaper too -- the Saturn has a good library of easily available US releases, while the TG16 doesn't, almost everything is relatively pricey. Also it's much easier to find Saturn games locally than TG16, and I prefer to buy locally rather than getting everything on EBay. So I have more Saturn games, and play it more, but if more TG16/CD games were available locally, I'd buy them for sure, and I do think I like the system slightly more overall.

No. Distance wise the nearest one to my current location requires a ferry.
    Yeah, Toys R Us is really the one place that actually pushed the TG16 nationwide. It's the one place I actually remember seeing one too, during its life...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    The Japanese Saturn has a bigger range of more well known classics, some came to America, but besides those it doesnt have much to offer.
    What do you mean "it doesn't have much to offer"
    I seriously can't think of anything Saturn doesn't offer.

As to the question of the thread: I like both consoles. Both presented me with tons of surprises in the libraries. But overall the Saturn has the broader range of to-notch- titles.

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    It was a distant 3rd place console because they didnt have the distribution or marketing like Sega and Nintendo had. That simple. If they were to sell to places in the US then it would have been larger populated areas. I grew up in Austin TX, and I didnt know about it, but I also wasnt into games as much. The retro store near me has it and the CD drive.
    Where are you coming up with this?

TG-16 has substantial print advertising and television advertising. I don't really ever recall browsing videogame sections of stores and not seeing TG-16 games and products.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 01-08-2013 at 07:11 PM.