Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pfffft! Forget the NEO GEO X !

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    And that is YOUR opinion and your entitled to it, get over it. I feel it very much deserves it clearly. Regardless of all the excuses and how much you wish to defend it. If you are happy and satisfied with it GOOD FOR YOU! Seriously, why so defensive? I stand by everything I said 100%. I do not need to justify my opinion to you or anyone do I ? You are free to disagree or even point out any misinformation I have given (be sure to back it up with proof) but if you have some issue or problem with what you call my trash talking (I call it my opinion) that is you're problem not mine. I am not going to blow sunshine up people's butts if I consider a product to be of poor quality, poor value and/or a cash in just to rip off gamer's. Feel free to defend crap products, I prefer to call it as I see it. Always have and always will. Welcome to a free thinking society.
    On that note, this is the last time I will waste a moment responding to this silly issue of brand loyalty.
    we are defensive? You are the one who got so upset because nobody stood up and praised your system and only calmed down when you got some nice replies. You are so protective of this thing, it makes me wonder what you are REALLY getting out of this. How can you back somthing so hard from somthing you only know about by what the guy making it and asking for money says?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Perhaps that's how you feel, but you're still trash talking something that doesn't deserve it. It's a dedicated handheld with some pretty nice hardware inside that's just being used and form factored specifically for the NeoGeo. Yes it has some bugs, Tommo also on reddit has been fielding q&a and taking issues back to the coders for upgrades. They have a firmware upgrade on the way. They're looking to clean up the visual problems on the unit and in particular with the doc. They do have more games coming on those cards as well so it's not a one and done with the Ninja Masters 21st game on a card.

Sure you're into emulation handhelds, that's nice, but it doesn't require taking a crap on a decent handheld targeted to a specific market. The NGX is a rebanded dingoo of sorts, top of the line with the cpu and gpu on it for those style machines, and it has drivers a plenty hiding inside for other emulators beyond the NG which is a version of Final Burn Alpha. It's being worked on, and it's being worked on by those neo-geo.com forum hackers too. I'd still rather buy the NG than back yet another flash in the pan kickstarter as those projects in most cases go down in flames not making the cash needed or they go vaporware on people after.
    I disagree with you that the Neo Geo X is a quality product, but I fail to see how this product is comparable in any way and therefore I agree that this angle the Kickstarter promoters are taking is foolish. People that bought the Neo Geo X didn't do so because it's yet another Dingoo clone like this thing. They did so because of the joystick and dock and the fact that it looks like an AES and is officially licensed by SNK. I don't think anyone who bought the X or is considering it would rather have something like this. The promoters would be better off simply showing why this is better than a Dingoo and going after that small niche market rather than wasting any more time attacking a product that is designed for nostalgia and regular consumers and is not even in the same category as this thing. I'm not sure how Kickstarter became a pre-order portal for junk like this, but I sure won't be supporting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I almost bought a neo geo X but I ended up passing on it. I really wouldn't find uses for it. On the go I uses my phone for all of my classic gaming needs and if I want to play some neo geo classics I boot up mame and play. I still want to pick up an AES though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    we are defensive? You are the one who got so upset because nobody stood up and praised your system and only calmed down when you got some nice replies. You are so protective of this thing, it makes me wonder what you are REALLY getting out of this. How can you back somthing so hard from somthing you only know about by what the guy making it and asking for money says?
    Here is the thing. I am not "upset" just because I state my case and opinion and I presented you with the info. You and anyone else are free to like it, dislike it, buy into it or warn people not to. I only asked people to look at the info first before making whatever decision they want, fair enough? The same as the opinion and judgments I have made on Neo Geo X and many other devices which I have followed and researched since the beginning. I have been very impressed with the quality of the emulation I have seen on this device, my only motivation was to see that others who may appreciate it are aware of it's existence. Please by all means feel free to have you're own opinion of it and we will just agree to disagree.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 01-10-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

At least this thing has a 4:3 screen. That's a huge improvement right there. I'm not going to play my retro games in a windowbox mode, or in a stretch mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The title of this thread makes me think of flatus.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    At least this thing has a 4:3 screen. That's a huge improvement right there. I'm not going to play my retro games in a windowbox mode, or in a stretch mode.
    Indeed, and the native resolution is 320x240. This is ideal for Megadrive and a number of other classic game systems. 256x224 will be a bit letterboxed and have an off aspect ratio, but it's certainly better than what you get on many other handhelds.

However, I still feel very little excitement at this announcement. There's quite a bit of a "been there, done that" feeling to this.

I think I would be more excited by some manner of handheld that included two or three complete clone systems within, ROMs running off SD, and the ability to output in various resolutions to a television. Clone systems may be inferior from an accuracy perspective in many ways, but there's just something about code running on real hardware.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I really think you guys should add a second analog stick. In the video on the Kickstarter it shows Doom being played and I'm sure a lot of the homebrew FPS' would be developed to work on this. I know I'm not the only one who would like to use a second analog instead of the four face buttons to aim.

Not just FPS'. First person adventure, twin stick shooters, etc.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I don't want to get into drama here, but if you're going for a moderately powerful handheld for retro gaming, why not go with a PSP 3000? Most of the emulators run silky smooth, the PSP's got that huge screen and you can easily get both the system and a large sized memory stick for less than it costs to get the handheld talked about in this thread.

Personally, I think it makes sense to get a PSP or instead go all out and spend the big bucks for the vastly more powerful Open Pandora.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Yes, what can this do that a Dingoo or a Yinlips cannot?
    Great question. If I may, below I am pasting a quote from rdemming on Atariage which I think best answers your question (I do not think he will mind):

As an owner of the Dingoo A320 I'm following the GCW-ZERO already for a long time and I even preordered the special edition version a few months ago that are currently shipping. It is the first successor to the A320 that is truly a successor. There were many knock-off devices (A330, A380, GameGadget) but they added very little to the A-320. The GCW-ZERO uses a CPU from the same series as the A-320 but much more powerfull and has a GPU supporting OpenGL-ES aswell.

It runs a version of Linux (OpenDingux) thus lots of Linux applications can be ported with modest effort. There are already emulator for the 7800, Lynx and Atari ST. Probably Atari 2600 and 8-bit emulator are in the works. So it is a must for Atari fan too

It might not be as powerfull as the latest Android devices but this one is really geared towards gaming. I've heard that Android emulators often suffer from audio lag and have problems using real buttons. The CGW-ZERO has quite some community support so I expect quite a bit from this machine.

For more info go to the Dingoonity forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 01-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How is this any different than a PSP, Pandora or GP32/GP2X/GP2X Wiz etc.?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

indeed buy a PSP and mod it for around the same rpcie, or save up and get the much more powerful and versatile Open Pandora.

I dont see the appeal of this device either, unless emulators are brilliant out of the gate and it has crazy good battery life or something else to make it stand out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    indeed buy a PSP and mod it for around the same rpcie, or save up and get the much more powerful and versatile Open Pandora.

I dont see the appeal of this device either, unless emulators are brilliant out of the gate and it has crazy good battery life or something else to make it stand out.
    The battery life is about 7 to 10 hours according to what you are running on the console.

$135 pledge gets a person a unit. Tell me, did you watch the Qbertaddict1's Youtube page for demonstration videos that I linked to in my original post? Because I think if you had you'd have been impressed with the quality of emulation. No lag like with many Android emulations and blows away commercial offerings from even SNK. When you have watched the videos and given a fair comparison in what you are getting new for the price without using custom firmware or hacking than I will be more than happy to accept your judgement. I don't think that is much too ask and all I have asked since the first post. Please give the device an honest fair shake, you of all people are known here for your knowledge of portables but you seem to be judging this one at a glance.

Also I am sorry but the Pandora, you are talking about a price range / category in a totally different price range you might as well suggest a low end laptop at that point and as an owner and user of an OpenPandora it is by no means "much more powerful" look at the specifications of both. Seriously I expected more from you.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 01-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PSP has an awful dpad and and an unreliable analog stick. It's also too big to fit comfortably in a pocket

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish there were two analog stcks for Ape Escape to be played on. I LOVE ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But on psxfin you cant run forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post

Also I am sorry but the Pandora, you are talking about a price range / catagory in a totally different price range you might as well suggest a low end laptop at that point and as an owner and user of an OpenPandora it is by no means "much more powerful" look at the specifications of both. Seriously I expected more from you.
    Yes I realize this. The Pandora is e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e and this is not nearly so. Indeed it is a little laptop so a comparison isn't fair and I wasn't trying to even do that. The thing is that there are a lot of alternatives out there and I think this kickstarter and anyone championing it needs to clearly define what makes it better or at least different. One thing I would like to know though: how is Sega Master System emulation? I'd like something that could run everything with the FM sound also emulated. Hard to find a handheld that offers that.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The PSP has an awful dpad and and an unreliable analog stick. It's also too big to fit comfortably in a pocket
    While all of these statements are true of the original model PSP-1000, they do not apply to the PSP 2000 and especially the 3000. I use my modded PSP 3000 almost every day in a variety of emulators. The 3000's dpad is NOT awful and in fact is better than any other Sony product including the PS3's. Never had any trouble with the analog nub either, and if you have trouble fitting a PSP into pockets, you need bigger pockets. The PSP isn't that much bigger than other portable devices. The 1000 sure was, but the 2000 or 3000? c'mon.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If this thing will emulate single arcade games instead of having to download one of those damned MAME packs that has every title listed whether you have the rom file or not, then count me in for two of these!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

As I said all the emulation I have seen has been excellent, I cannot tell you the result of every single emulator as many are still being added, developed optimized but I ask again, if you will answer, have you watched the playlist of demonstration videos in Qbertaddict1's playlist I linked to? Because MANY examples are given, all have been excellent so far and I have no doubt the rest will be just as good simply because this devices was built for this very purpose of playing classic games which is why you need not hack firmware etc, please tell me IF you have seen the demonstrations thus far that this is NOT worth $135? Here is a new video just added by the way showing an example of PSP w/CFW vs CGW Zero:

Many videos have been done showing the quality of the emulation and various emulators! Judge for yourself but at least watch and compare BEFORE judging. I stand by this is an excellent device for the price and the specs! https://www.youtube....N2MemZkgn_eSd3e

Perhaps if one has an PSP already then they are happy with it but for the asking price starting at $135 for this new unit now how does it compare to the PSP?
    Battery life 7-10 hours (depending on what is running), excellent emulation, low price, WATCH THE VIDEOS and tell me is this unreasonable or "unworthy" of support?
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 01-13-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never had any trouble with the analog nub either, and if you have trouble fitting a PSP into pockets, you need bigger pockets. The PSP isn't that much bigger than other portable devices. The 1000 sure was, but the 2000 or 3000? c'mon.
    Other devices are oversized as well, but that doesn't make it acceptable.
    I want something between the sizes of a GB micro and a DS Lite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

whoa. why so small? don't you want the biggest screen possible? I know thats the most important aspect for me, the screen size. GB Micro its hard to tell whats going on or to read text, and I have perfect vision.

@
    OldSchoolGamer I'm totally with you on the worthlessness of the SNES emulators for PSP. Sorry I prejudged it so harshly. I might be interested in picking one up maybe.

Let me ask a few emulation speific questions about that device.

What is the storage source? SD? Micro SD? Something built in?

Does it support:

NES and Famciom with expansion audio?
    Famicom Disk System?
    Master System with FM Synthesis?
    GameBoy/GameBoy Color?
    Genesis?
    Sega CD?
    NeoGeo Pocket Color?
    GameBoy Advance?

also, do the various emulators support .png screenshot capabilities?
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 01-13-2013 at 11:19 PM.