Thread: Would you consider this weird?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would you consider this weird?

When it comes to anything 8 bit and 16 bit, i like to have a physical copy but i still play the game on an emulator.

I use an original xbox to play these games and only restrict myself to a selection of everything that I own. To me it gives me a better experience because i can output these games full screen in 720p resolution.

Sometimes i think that this might be weird to some because some might think it defeats the purpose of collecting games because they just sit on a shelf. But then you have people who collect stamps and coins and they sit in boxes and drawers.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think that's weird at all. Almost everyone on this forum knows about and understands the magic of physically holding a cartridge in your hands, being able to thumb through a manual, and putting a box on a shelf. Videogaming is not only a audio/visual hobby, there's smell and touch too.

Now what I think is weird is using a musty old xbox to play 8/16 bit games on a LCD monitor. How tacky. Hope you're not stretching to 16:9.

You need to get yourself a proper CRT, man. Switch that xbox out for a Wii with homebrew channel and you'll be set.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRich View Post
    When it comes to anything 8 bit and 16 bit, i like to have a physical copy but i still play the game on an emulator.

I use an original xbox to play these games and only restrict myself to a selection of everything that I own. To me it gives me a better experience because i can output these games full screen in 720p resolution.

Sometimes i think that this might be weird to some because some might think it defeats the purpose of collecting games because they just sit on a shelf. But then you have people who collect stamps and coins and they sit in boxes and drawers.
    I do that on my PSP, nothing like playing the Super Famicom Star Ocean on a Star Ocean Limited Edition PSP.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did the Xbox emulator thing for awhile. After digging out my NES and playing the real hardware on a CRT, it just has a more "authentic" feel to it, where as the Xbox felt like a cheap imitation. I've also developed a dislike of playing games outside of their original resolution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you'll find that most folks here are "purists" in this manner. I sure am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRich View Post

Quite normal. In fact I think I'd do the same thing in your shoes. An xbox with all the games I own physical copies of is a great way to enjoy the collection without putting any wear and tear on the hardware and software, which can stay pretty on the shelf

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    I don't think that's weird at all. Almost everyone on this forum knows about and understands the magic of physically holding a cartridge in your hands, being able to thumb through a manual, and putting a box on a shelf. Videogaming is not only a audio/visual hobby, there's smell and touch too.

Now what I think is weird is using a musty old xbox to play 8/16 bit games on a LCD monitor. How tacky. Hope you're not stretching to 16:9.

You need to get yourself a proper CRT, man. Switch that xbox out for a Wii with homebrew channel and you'll be set.

I've had the xbox plugged in to a crt for a while and it looked authentic but in the end i don't care about that anymore. Having it in HD on the LCD (and yes it is stretched to fill the screen but i don't care) is a much cooler experience for me. Because of the way my tv is situated, i can sit back on my bed comfortably and play. Much more comfortable and enjoyable. CRT is in the same room but its not as comfortable.

My CRT is reserved for ps1/ps2, n64, gamecube, dreamcast, saturn.

I even have some n64 games on the xbox and they are configured specifically for 720p, textures are redone for HD resolution, it looks incredible. You should see Super Mario 64 on it, just incredible.

You can buy an adapter for the xbox and use the original system controllers if you want.

I'm not a purist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I love having both, the real deal and the emulators. If only original xbox had decent controllers, I dont like playing the emulators with the duke or the controller s. I recently played Super Metroid on my tablet with a wii classic controller and it was pretty good. I still prefer the real consoles but lets face it when you have over 30 consoles its a pain in the ass to plug\unplug everything when you want to play on a different console and finding the controllers, memory cards etc mixed up in a bundle in a box! I found an original model 1 CIB Genesis (the very first model non tmss) recently and experiencing sonic with the original controllers and hardware feels a lot more natural. Also Saturn, you gotta play on original hardware, emulation of it sucks ass.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    ... If only original xbox had decent controllers, I dont like playing the emulators with the duke or the controller s.
    I feel the same way. The D-pad on the xbox feels like a cheap third party controller. Anyone know of a good xbox controller for emulation???

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I want to play my 8-16bit games, I do the exact same thing the majority of the time.
    I have a modded Xbox hooked up to my CRT, and it looks very authentic.
    There are days however, that I want the complete authentic experience, and that's when I get my old console(s) out of my display case and hook them up for old times sake.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I feel the same way. The D-pad on the xbox feels like a cheap third party controller. Anyone know of a good xbox controller for emulation???
    you can get this, and then plug in the actual controllers. http://www.brunofreitas.com/node/41

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort View Post
    When I want to play my 8-16bit games, I do the exact same thing the majority of the time.
    I have a modded Xbox hooked up to my CRT, and it looks very authentic.
    There are days however, that I want the complete authentic experience, and that's when I get my old console(s) out of my display case and hook them up for old times sake.
    I would not consider an xbox connected to a CRT to be authentic in appearance. The xbox is not capable of outputting low resolutions such as those used by classic systems. It has to scale and filter the image up to 480i/p.

A Gamecube or Wii is capable of displaying in native 240p.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the monster big Xbox controllers or the revised ones? I don't mind the revised controllers at all. I think they feel pretty decent.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    The original Madcatz Xbox controller (before they started doing stuff like shrinking them and putting them in Controller-s configuration) was pretty good as far as the d-pad goes and the button layout was great for everything including 6 button Genesis games. A lot more comfortable to the hand than the Duke, as well. Unfortunately they are pretty cheaply built and at least in my case the shoulder button eventually gave out.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Not only do I love the revised "S" controller, but emulation on the XBOX is what actually made me want to start collecting classic games again.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Last edited by needler420; 01-25-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO, nothing beats playing the actual game on the original system with a good 'ol CRT television. Well, maybe RGB, but not emulation.