Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your most under rated game of this generation? and most over rated?

Insert Coin (Level 0) CatTehBus's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine has to be Resident Evil 6, I played all the way through 5 and didn't mind it too much. Was really excited all year for RE6 and I couldn't even play the game for more than a half hour before getting frustrated. Overrated

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Crackdown unfortunately lives in memory as "that game that had the Halo 3 beta on it." Although, it's still one of my favorites for the system. What a great feeling it was to be able to jump just that little bit higher and scale the highest buildings, then jump down and fire rockets on everything you can see. I also loved hitching rides on the tops of other people's cars and then shooting out tires of the cars around me to see if my driver would keep going. So many fun things to do in that game. Maybe I should break it out again later...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I agree with all the Crackdown praise. People kept asking me on Xbox Live if I had bought it for the Halo 3 beta, and I kept having to respond that I bought it because it is a fantastic game. It's probably my favourite sandbox game, simply for the fact that it removes all pretensions at story - and consequently removes all artificial gating. You want to try to go kill Wang the instant you start the game? There's absolutely nothing stopping you. The city design is also so good. Orb hunting wouldn't be fun at all (look at how tedious and boring the superficially similar flag collecting is in Assassin's Creed) if every building wasn't placed in just the right way to make it an entertaining puzzle to quickly traverse the environment.

Another really underrated gem is Resonance of Fate. It looks like yet another JRPG, but I think there's something really special about the unique mechanics it has and the wonderful way they all complement each other. The battle system is complex but very entertaining once you understand it, requiring you to whittle down enemy hp with scratch damage from rapid-fire weapons and then lock it in with damage from pistols. The way the world map works is also very unique. You can't traverse it until you acquire puzzle-like sets of hexes, which you then place down on the map in order to access new areas. Different coloured hexes provide different effects, so you end up trying to adjust the world to your greatest advantage (for instance, by maximizing item drop rates or ensuring certain enemy types appear). The worst part about the game is the tutorial. It's not particularly great at explaining the way the game works, or even what the tutorial missions expect you to do. I had to look up a FAQ to figure out how to complete one of the tutorials! But if you can look past that and dedicate the time to learning the game, it's very rewarding. The story isn't amazing, coming off more as a collection of vignettes rather than a coherent plot, but the excllent English voice acting (by Nolan North and a bunch of Disney alumni) makes the interactions between the characters entertaining despite not really ever coalescing into a proper narrative.

As for overrated games, Grand Theft Auto IV is definitely the one that reviewers got wrong. I don't think it's as overrated among regular gamers. I heard plenty of criticism immediately after its release. But the 10/10s that reviewers gave it are just ridiculous. One game that I just don't get the love for is the Uncharted series, particularly the first one. They are by no means bad games, mind you, but I just don't understand the praise given to them. The platforming is decent, but fairly automatic and mostly devoid of any sort of intellectual challenge. There's nothing approaching the complexity of the puzzles in the three Tomb Raider games this generation, all of which I would say are better platformers than Uncharted. The camera also occasionally gets in the way of the platforming, locking itself to a "cinematic" view that looks nice but doesn't give a great view of where the game expects you to jump. I find the shooting in Uncharted 1 to be just plain bad, with bullet-sponge enemies and a cover system that is awkward at best. 2 and 3 are better about this, but still not great. And don't get me started on the supernatual enemies. They are never fun to fight at any point in the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Yeah, I agree with all the Crackdown praise. People kept asking me on Xbox Live if I had bought it for the Halo 3 beta, and I kept having to respond that I bought it because it is a fantastic game. It's probably my favourite sandbox game, simply for the fact that it removes all pretensions at story - and consequently removes all artificial gating. You want to try to go kill Wang the instant you start the game? There's absolutely nothing stopping you. The city design is also so good. Orb hunting wouldn't be fun at all (look at how tedious and boring the superficially similar flag collecting is in Assassin's Creed) if every building wasn't placed in just the right way to make it an entertaining puzzle to quickly traverse the environment.

Another really underrated gem is Resonance of Fate. It looks like yet another JRPG, but I think there's something really special about the unique mechanics it has and the wonderful way they all complement each other. The battle system is complex but very entertaining once you understand it, requiring you to whittle down enemy hp with scratch damage from rapid-fire weapons and then lock it in with damage from pistols. The way the world map works is also very unique. You can't traverse it until you acquire puzzle-like sets of hexes, which you then place down on the map in order to access new areas. Different coloured hexes provide different effects, so you end up trying to adjust the world to your greatest advantage (for instance, by maximizing item drop rates or ensuring certain enemy types appear). The worst part about the game is the tutorial. It's not particularly great at explaining the way the game works, or even what the tutorial missions expect you to do. I had to look up a FAQ to figure out how to complete one of the tutorials! But if you can look past that and dedicate the time to learning the game, it's very rewarding. The story isn't amazing, coming off more as a collection of vignettes rather than a coherent plot, but the excllent English voice acting (by Nolan North and a bunch of Disney alumni) makes the interactions between the characters entertaining despite not really ever coalescing into a proper narrative.

As for overrated games, Grand Theft Auto IV is definitely the one that reviewers got wrong. I don't think it's as overrated among regular gamers. I heard plenty of criticism immediately after its release. But the 10/10s that reviewers gave it are just ridiculous. One game that I just don't get the love for is the Uncharted series, particularly the first one. They are by no means bad games, mind you, but I just don't understand the praise given to them. The platforming is decent, but fairly automatic and mostly devoid of any sort of intellectual challenge. There's nothing approaching the complexity of the puzzles in the three Tomb Raider games this generation, all of which I would say are better platformers than Uncharted. The camera also occasionally gets in the way of the platforming, locking itself to a "cinematic" view that looks nice but doesn't give a great view of where the game expects you to jump. I find the shooting in Uncharted 1 to be just plain bad, with bullet-sponge enemies and a cover system that is awkward at best. 2 and 3 are better about this, but still not great. And don't get me started on the supernatual enemies. They are never fun to fight at any point in the series.
    I also agree with Uncharted being over rated. All the Gears of War, god of war, uncharted, etc are not bad games, but I feel like they are more like Hollywood action movies. Its always get from point A to point B, shoot a room full of bad guys, solve a puzzle, and repeat until the end. I dont feel like they are games, you know with high scores and all. Just a fun sit through with not much replay value (talking about campaign, not online multiplayer, but i never liked gears online anyway). And almost all AAA games today are like this, I have a lot more fun with something like Geometry Wars, a game I still play regularly to this day since the 360 launch. And I still pray the gods for a new 2d HD metroid or castlevania on consoles, not portables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

im really surprised you guys mostly all agree with me on Crackdown, and gta4!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since this is not really platform specific I'd say Angry Birds is the most overrated game ever. I played for like 5 minutes after hearing all the hype. Never played it again. I just don't get why this game is so popular. I'm at a loss for words.

Underrated I don't know. I can't think right now because I'm full of thoughts to as why Angry Birds is so popular. What am I missing? Maybe i'm just getting stubborn at my old age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    The entire resistance, and killzone series are WAY overrated. They are the most bland, generic shooters ever. Killzone 3 was OK.
    I liked the first Resistance but haven't played the second two games yet. I beat Killzone 2 and agree that it is over rated but I think it only got as much hype as it did for being a PS3 exclusive and the fact that many in the media wanted it to be a Halo killer, which it was certainly not on any level at all. The controls were sluggish, the story boring and the game over all wasn't very much fun.

My most under rated game would be Alan Wake. Not that many people played it and as such missed one of the best gaming experiences this gen. It had an amazing story, tight gameplay, memorable characters and an open-ended ending good for interpretation. It also won Time Magazine's game of the year award in 2010 so atleast a few other people besides myself know how awesome it was.

My most over rated game would be Battlefield 3. The story was very lame and for a series trying to distinguish themselves from COD they sure do have a lot of COD-esque moments during the campaign. But I know that most people play it for it's mutilplayer and I played it as well. However, I just couldn't get into it. I tried different modes and never found myself thinking they were something I wanted to come back to. I should add that I don't think BF3 is a bad game per se, I just wouldn't list it as one of my favorite shooter games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll go along with Crackdown as the most underrated as well. Played that game to death and loved every minute of it. The catch was getting powered all the way up and then going crazy. I still remember climbing all the way to the top of the main tower just to jump off. Good times.

Overrated I will go with the Black Ops games. My daughter plays them regularly but they just don't scratch my itch.

The most fun I've had with games this gen would be (in no order): Minecraft, Fallout 3 (loved the DC wasteland theme), Borderlands (both of'em), Skyrim (of course) and Dead Island.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by misfits859 View Post
    I'll go along with Crackdown as the most underrated as well. Played that game to death and loved every minute of it. The catch was getting powered all the way up and then going crazy. I still remember climbing all the way to the top of the main tower just to jump off. Good times.

Overrated I will go with the Black Ops games. My daughter plays them regularly but they just don't scratch my itch.

The most fun I've had with games this gen would be (in no order): Minecraft, Fallout 3 (loved the DC wasteland theme), Borderlands (both of'em), Skyrim (of course) and Dead Island.
    Nice avatar, and we like the same games too!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx7N1mWWpIA check out my cover of horror business!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

How did I forget the ultimate future cult classic Deadly Premonition? You'd think the game would be goddawful, but I had more fun with it than most Resident Evil games.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

over rated would have to be call of duty any thing.

under rated i would have to say...

Fortune Street
    Blaz Blue Series

any thing else i have current gen is just meh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    iycon

my most under rated is Enslaved: odyssey to the west.
    kind of a platormer, good story, good reviews, poor sales.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id say FPS games are the most over rated, at least the ones outside of Valve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Underrated:

Lost Planet Franchise (big money, big prizes, I LOVE IT!)...but seriously did you see that boss??!!
    Lord of the Rings: War in the North (Snowblind Studios did a damn fine job and got shat on)
    WarZ (despite all the crap talk, fun game and not nearly as many hackers as DayZ and more accessible)
    Eufloria (probably the most overlooked puzzle game and better than the rest)
    Sacred 2 (it was better than diablo 3, path of exile and torchlight 2, moved the genre forward unlike the rest)
    Resident Evil 5 (co-op was *gasp* fun)

Overrated:

Dead Space Franchise (it's supposed to be sooooo good...o_O)
    Call fo Duty Franchise (anything you can do battlefield does better, battlefield does everything better than you)
    Scribblenauts (why people said for me to buy this, i'm not preteen *goes back to terraria*)
    Bioshock Franchise (clearly a case of nostalgia)
    Two Worlds 2 (wtf...just please "wtf", people said the first one sucked and this one was good, seriously wtf is this b.s. someone is smoking, anyone that has beaten this game will know what I speak of 0_0, the first one was better...I know , but it's true )

A couple of gems old schoolers should try out:

Jamestown (hello...old school shooter fans...hellooooooo)
    And Yet it Moves (platforming genius)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I haven't played many current gen games, but a few games I think were underrated are:

• Bayonetta - I heard last generation that many gamers have an aversion to female lead protagonists; Bayonetta may have suffered from this.

• Child of Eden - Fuck Kinect, I use a controller -- this game is absolutely breath taking, but almost no one seems to have played it.

• Dante's Inferno - This game sold terribly, IIRC, which is a shame, because it's an absolutely outstanding game. I really did justice to the source material it was based on, and it's a shame it won't see a sequel.

• Dead Island - This game got a pretty reception from most of the people I talked to about it, but everyone had the same thing to say, that like Resident Evil 5, it stunk in single player and wasn't worth playing offline. I couldn't disagree more, honestly. I've noticed a trend in gaming for the past 2 generations where people are becoming spoiled by online gaming and not giving single player campaigns due consideration. Multiplayer is fun and all, but there's still something to be said for a good single player campaign, IMO. Hell, I even play Left4Dead alone sometimes and I enjoy it almost every bit as much.

• NIER - One of the most emotive and immersive games I played this generation. I love the subtle genre blending nuances and amazing musical scores. This game had a lukewarm reception, IIRC, and just fell off of most people's radar.

• Resident Evil 5 - I really don't get why people who liked RE4 hated this installment so much. I fully expected to hate the partner dynamic in single player, but once I played it I thought it was amazing, and I still do. I actually love this game -- single player, co-op, it doesn't matter.

• Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - I really don't get why people hate this game so much, either. It's really quite fun, IMO. Perhaps because I'm not a western third person shooter fan that I didn't/don't have the same expectations for a game in the genre as others do. It seems that people hate it for what it isn't rather than for what it is.

• Space Giraffe - Either you enjoy these kinds of games or you don't, but this game was once billed as the "WORST XBLA game" (I don't remember which gaming publication). That just can't be true.

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Overrated:

Dead Space Franchise (it's supposed to be sooooo good...o_O)
    It really, REALLY is good IMO. Amazing in fact. I can't praise the series enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Underrated

Yakuza series (PS3): This series is pretty much the spiritual successor to Shenmue; it even throws in a few quick-time events. The storyline involves multiple characters that you'll play along the way, eventually leading to a climactic ending with those characters.

Bulletstorm: This game slipped under the rader with gameplay that wasn't based around some Modern Warfare. You can basically grab enemies from afar, then kick, punch, shock or throw them with various effects. It's a real blast to play, though the story is very forgettable.

Culdcept Saga (Xbox 360): It's part monopoly, part card battle and a whole lot more. You fight for control of the board, linking simular board sections to increase your stats. It also had a cool online match option, but I've only played against 1 friend with that.

Overrated

Angry Birds: Yeah, the game is alright, but it's not like it deserves anywhere near the hype and merchandising it has received.

Metro 2033: This game was pretty much a hardware benchmark title for the PC gamer, but it left a lot to be desired. Between the action sections of the game, you're forced to trudge around subway communities for supplies and to talk to someone to advance the story. The subway community sections really drag this game down and the breathing masks make it hard to see what you're doing when they start to fail.

Bayonetta: I really don't get why people think this game is great? The crappy camera angles during fights, like the one on top to the train, became frustrating. The Saturday morning cartoon acting was even worse.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I could be here all Week naming Underrated games. So just name some that I have not seen mentioned

Earth Seeker
    Darksiders (series)
    The Last Story
    Majin and the forsaken kingdom
    Sonic Colors
    No More Heroes series
    Pandoras Tower
    A Boy and His Blob
    Lost in Shadow
    Sin N Punishment Star Successor
    Metroid Other M
    de blob
    The World Ends With You
    Ys on PSP
    Blue Dragon
    Gravity Rush
    Folklore
    Tatsunoko Vs Capcom

Overrated
    CoD
    Halo
    Sports games
    Final Fantasy (this series has downright been shit this gen)
    Elder Scrolls
    Street Fighter IV
    Last edited by Ryudo; 01-28-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've seen GTA4 listed here and I'm going to stick up for the game and say I liked GTA4 a lot and think it's the best in the series. You don't really have to share the same opinion, but read what I wrote and you'll atleast see I made some pretty good points.

So anyways. Saints Row 2, which I hated, and Saints Row 3 are the next true GTA games to some people, after the release of San Andreas. The reason behind this is that you can parachute, steal planes, purchase places, etc. What makes these so great though? Now I like Saints Row 3 because the overall gameplay is now good, most of the missions are good, and the side missions are pretty fun, but I still don't like it as much as GTA4. One of my friends I play with always wants to jump in a Vtol and fly around, or wants me to parachute off a building with me, or whatever. Wtf. Gay? I really don't see the sense of flying around in a Vtol other than to complete a mission or fly to my next destination. Why do people get off on destroying non mobile cars or retarded AI pedestrians? You hear people like GTA3 and Vice City better than GTA4 and it has none of this. Why are these games so popular? They also have the worst tps in just about any game I've played, making some missions come down to either complete luck or whether you got body armor before starting the mission.

Even if you don't like the driving system, the new wanted system is a lot better than the old one, and the mission structure and shooting system is a lot better, but that's not what turns people off from this game. What people don't like is back what I said how there's less to do. Is it just the fact that there's less to do, which is what people seem to make believe? Where do people get enjoyment from repeatedly jumping off a roof with a parachute only to go back up there and jump off again? What's the enjoyment of flying a plane around in the air when there's literally nothing in the air for you to do? You just jumped off a mountain with a motorcycle and pulled your parachute for the 10th time, so doing it the 11th time is going to be so awesome. I get this stuff may be fun to see or do once, but it quickly loses its appeal.

If you want a game that has a lot to do, play Scarface the World is Yours. Even after you complete everything, you can continue to do drug run missions. It's usually one of the same few missions over again, then you boat the money from the islands back to Florida, then do a cash run to collect your money from all your fronts.

Not everyone has the same opinion, but I just don't get the appeal of doing the same things that don't actually progress anything.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most underrated game of this generation for me would have to be WarioWare: Smooth Moves. We still play this game when friends are over and it is quite possibly the best implementation of motion controls ever.

Sonic All-Stars Racing seems a little underrated too, though maybe I'm wrong. This game far outshines Mario Kart Wii in all aspects of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I've seen GTA4 listed here and I'm going to stick up for the game and say I liked GTA4 a lot and think it's the best in the series. You don't really have to share the same opinion, but read what I wrote and you'll atleast see I made some pretty good points.

Is it just the fact that there's less to do, which is what people seem to make believe?
    I think the problem isn't that there is nothing to do; it's just not interesting TO do.

My GTA IV save is near 62 hours, to get 100%. A lot of that time was really.... dry content. Any GTA fan knows that there's a ton of collectibles, but some of the 100% came from random stranger missions and "Man Dates" which really ate a lot of time finding everyone and driving (taxi) your friends for a night out. Even the more notable side content was just dry stuff like car thefts, racing, assassinations.

The core story and game mechanics lived up to my expectations, back in 2008. It advanced the series nicely even if the driving, after dozens of hours, didn't quite feel second nature. Reports on GTA V have said they tightened up across the board in driving, gun and melee combat so it should be interesting how V handles.

People overhype things too much sometimes that it takes away from the experience when they actually play it. Any major franchise release goes through this no matter what it is. People will love it and people will hate it. I've never been as hyped for a game before or since GTA IV and it did not disappoint me whatsoever.

GTA V will be the first "new" title in over 5 years when it finally comes out. When I look at an overrated worn out series like Call of Duty that remains the behemoth it is, year after year, without any major changes I can't help but cry a little inside. At least I know GTA will be special.