Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Jaguar , 3DO and Saturn emulation still garbage ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    The 32X was not the worst system ever by far. It was definitely one of the most ill advised released in history. Greatly harmed SEGA's reputation, IMO.
    Between the Mega CD and 32X, I feel that the 32X was the better idea. However, its timing is what doomed it. It couldn't have been released any sooner than it was, because then everyone would have been up in arms due to the Mega CD being released just recently as well. It couldn't have been released any later (due to said Mega CD only being two years old in the States), because of the Saturn had just launched in Japan (32X launched in Japan about a month after the Saturn), and was (at the time) still a year away in the States.

Such a shame too, as it had more potential than Mega CD, and (on paper) did more with the MegaDrive hardware than the Mega CD.

Maybe I'm just blind with 32X love, but can you imagine if some games had been developed truly taking full advantage of a MegaDrive/Mega CD/32X combo? I bet it could at least match, or come close to Saturn and PSX launch titles.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think it was a better idea than the CD addon too. To me they should have focused on CD technology for their next console (Saturn) when they could have really of taken advantage of the storage capabilities with 3D games. But overall the Genesis was all they needed, the CD and 32X games should just have been Saturn games cause thats what they should have been focusing on next. MY name is IHatEDSega cause I really miss them now the more I learn the history of gaming. If they had been strong during the Dreamcast era I dont think Microsoft would have entered the console market and gaming would be so much better now.

Addons it seems are just bad ideas, and console companies should just focusing on utilizing the technology for their next console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

When people get to talking about "worst system ever" it usually ends up reflecting their ignorance of commercially released systems. You'll hear Jaguar and 32X a lot, but no one will mention the Playdia, Pippin, Zemmix, or PC-FX. Those systems do have their merits, but I'd take the Jag or 32X's library over any of theirs any day and twice on Sunday.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    When people get to talking about "worst system ever" it usually ends up reflecting their ignorance of commercially released systems. You'll hear Jaguar and 32X a lot, but no one will mention the Playdia, Pippin, Zemmix, or PC-FX. Those systems do have their merits, but I'd take the Jag or 32X's library over any of theirs any day and twice on Sunday.
    Those I barely even consider systems, plus they didn't get out of Japan.

My point on the 32X being a poor decision to release by SEGA was that Nintendo proved they could put out better games than that system just by using chips in the carts. That didn't cost the home user $150-200 for a new add-on. SegaCD project was fine by me in that it got into new technology, but with the Saturn coming, Sega Japan should have just refused SOA's Mars project.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    I just dont see the point of even talking about the Pippin. And people should really only talk about consoles theyve played. If anything it just says how much those consoles were ignored than anything else.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    As for "Worst console ever", why not the Pippin or CD-i?
    Most people probably haven't even heard of the Pippin, and if they've heard of the CDi, it's likely because of "those horrible Zelda games".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know it's been mentioned, but Saturn emulation has been great for years; SSF is a very good emulator. The Jaguar and 3DO, though... yeah, both of those are much rougher. Both DO have emulators now, 4DO for the 3DO and several for the Jaguar, but those Jaguar ones particularly are iffy. A few games work great, but compatibility in any of the Jaguar emulators is poor, and there are lots of games that don't work in any of them. Still, some Jaguar games at least can be played in emulation, which is better than, say, the nonexistent state of Xbox emulation (Halo and nothing else...). As for 4DO, it's a decent emulator; 3DO emulation is better than it used to be. It still has a ways to go, but you can actually play a decent number of games in it now, which is cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    I always thought Saturn emulation wouldn't work out any way. Correct me if I'm wrong but Saturn renders Quadrilaterals. Everything now a days renders in triangles. So wouldn't Saturn polygon games look weird? I've never emulated Saturn .
    A quad can be rendered as 2 triangles. The emulator would simply need to take this into account. It would add a little bit of software overhead on something the Saturn does natively in hardware but I would imagine that today's machines would be more than capable to handle something like that with no problems.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    A quad can be rendered as 2 triangles. The emulator would simply need to take this into account. It would add a little bit of software overhead on something the Saturn does natively in hardware but I would imagine that today's machines would be more than capable to handle something like that with no problems.
    Like I said, SSF emulator seems to run really well on my PC.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Most of the early systems can be emulated just fine. Super Ninendo, Genesis, Sega CD, Neo-Geo, etc, etc. Near perfect emulation. Extremely good PS1 emulation and N64 emulation.

The Atari Jaguar, Panasonic 3DO and Sega Satun were always the exception. As somebody that hasn't been keeping up on emulation, has anything chaned in the last 10 years with these systems ?
    In short, no - not really. SSF can run some Saturn stuff, but Jaguar and 3DO are still far better experiences on the actual consoles (at least as much 'better' as playing Jaguar can be... )

Also, I tend to think that N64 emulation still kind of sucks at this point. Sure, the most common stuff works well enough, but the sheer number of graphical and sound glitches in anything not Mario or Zelda renders the whole experience a little lacking.

(Surprisingly, I find the state of both PS2 and Gamecube/Wii emulation to be quite good. I actually beat Xenoblade Chronicles and most of Final Fantasy X via emulation, mainly for the higher resolution and improved texture filtering. Both need a seriously fast PC, though.)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaniel View Post
    In short, no - not really. SSF can run some Saturn stuff,
    Also, I tend to think that N64 emulation still kind of sucks at this point. Sure, the most common stuff works well enough, but the sheer number of graphical and sound glitches in anything not Mario or Zelda renders the whole experience a little lacking.
    Yeah SSF is the worst emulator I have (besides NEOPOP for NEO GEO POCKET COLOR plays games well but the sound is like my ears chewing on tin foil) I too am disappointed by N64 emulation in general, tons of bugs left no matter which plug ins I use on Project64, but itself I love more than others because of the options it has with resolution and cheats. I cant play Rogue Squadron it though > and Mystical Ninja has some glitchy graphics at times and I have to restart the emulator, but at least that game isnt slow as hell anymore.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SFF works great for me, and for anyone having issues with Daemon Tools there are other virtual Optical drive applications like Virtual CloneDrive, Magic ISO and most burning applications will let you create a virtual drive.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im just going to burn my games to CDR and play them that way. Cant buy alcohol, nero or daemon and I dont want to mess with issues or adware Ive heard of with the free versions. Im being a little too cautionary but oh well. I love how PS1 emulation has the virtual drive built in, I hear the SSF developers dont really mean for it to be for illegal emulation so they dont want to make it have a virtual drive. Hell even Sega CD emulation is done wit ha built in virtual drive with Kega Fusion and its awesome.

Heres the compatibility list.
    http://lusspace.free.fr/ssf.htm
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 01-23-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    That list seems out of date. There's games on there that I've had no problems with.

Saturn emulation has progressed nicely, just about every game I've thrown at it has worked well. It did take awhile to get the hang of how SSF works however.

3DO is very good as well, I use 4DO. Here's a compatibility list, that may or may not be up to date. http://wiki.fourdo.com/index.php?tit...atibility_List The most recent version came out just after christmas.

No idea about Jaguar emulation, never bothered trying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Virtual clone drive is easy to config, stop moaning and use that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default List out of date. Here's a cached version

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    That list seems out of date. There's games on there that I've had no problems with.

Saturn emulation has progressed nicely, just about every game I've thrown at it has worked well. It did take awhile to get the hang of how SSF works however.

3DO is very good as well, I use 4DO. Here's a compatibility list, that may or may not be up to date. http://wiki.fourdo.com/index.php?tit...atibility_List The most recent version came out just after christmas.

No idea about Jaguar emulation, never bothered trying it.
    List out of date. Here's a cached version of the page from the wayback machine dated Jan 2013:

http://web.archive.org/web/201301261...atibility_List

So compatibility seems pretty good. I'm going to give it a try!

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    Tempest 2K, Raiden, Iorn Soldier, Alien vs Predator, Doom, Wolfenstein, Zool 2, Cybermorph.

All amazing games and worth getting a Jaguar for.
    I love all of those those games you mentioned as well as Kasumi Ninja, Ultra Vortek, Rayman, and NBA Jam. I also really like Defender 2K and Breakout 2K.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Yeah, I think it was a better idea than the CD addon too. To me they should have focused on CD technology for their next console (Saturn) when they could have really of taken advantage of the storage capabilities with 3D games. But overall the Genesis was all they needed, the CD and 32X games should just have been Saturn games cause thats what they should have been focusing on next. MY name is IHatEDSega cause I really miss them now the more I learn the history of gaming. If they had been strong during the Dreamcast era I dont think Microsoft would have entered the console market and gaming would be so much better now.

Addons it seems are just bad ideas, and console companies should just focusing on utilizing the technology for their next console.
    I'm thinking that MS was paying very close attention to the Dreamcast. Placing the first XBOX next to the Dreamcast and then comparing the two (and their controllers) is a bit of an eye-opener.

As for the 32x, Space Harrier was perfect on that system. And yeah, SEGA sure have the 'too many products' thing going on for a while there.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I remember reading a few months back that, with the then new PS3 hacks, modders were hoping to get a fully, 100% accurate Saturn emulator going. I recall there being a few articles and some theory chatter on modder forums, but then it all just stopped. Guessing nothing every came of it, but I was lead to believe that many of the more complicated or otherwise troubled systems will require modern systems to fully emulate in any reasonable fashion.