Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you tell people who, when you buy a physical copy of a game, say its a waste of money?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I gotta laugh when I imagine a burglar stealing my game stuff. I mean, it'd be terrible regardless, but they definitely couldn't take everything and I'm sure they'd take all the "wrong" stuff, haha. I bet they'd grab the most modern stuff I have, while the valuable retro games I have probably wouldn't even get touched.
    Exactly what I was thinking. My ps3 and Wii for sure would get stolen because they are out in the open. My 360 is put away because I never play it lol

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    The second is I bought 2 guides, one is called secret Nintendo passwords or something and the players choice guide to the SNES. Now I only paid 5 dollars each for the guides but people harass me saying oh they're pointless! You can find all the information online you wasted money etc...
    Didn't you buy two copies of the same guide because one had a loose page? And you know damn well why people harass you for wasting money, it's not something I assume you want to get into here, but it's definitely not a simple physical vs digital the way you're presenting it.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Didn't you buy two copies of the same guide because one had a loose page? And you know damn well why people harass you for wasting money, it's not something I assume you want to get into here, but it's definitely not a simple physical vs digital the way you're presenting it.
    Nope I didn't buy a second copy, what had happened was the guy listed it as in good condition. and when i got it the binding was loose, and several pages were falling out, not just one several. so I contacted the seller and he offered to buy me a copy in better condition for a little bit more money, and well he did.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Real games are worth real money. The files on a computer are worth crap. It's like anything in life, the real deal is always more then the knockoff and that's why retro collecting is through the roof right now.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    I usually say ok you may have all those games on your laptop or soft modded console, but what happens when it gets stolen? All those games gone in one fell swoop.

It's hard for a would be thief to steal my whole collection.
    I have to say that is is actually the one place where digital copies of games are superior. If your xbox or ps3 gets stolen you can report that and be able to re-download the games on a new system. Same goes for games over steam.

If you choose to pirate your games it's even simpler. Just download them again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Depending on the situation I'd go anywhere from blowing it off, to pointing out something 'stupid' they do with money that gets frittered away into vapor, or asking them how they'd like to 'own' something for another five years they care deeply for, have it taken away, and never have it again because the creator is done with it how they'd feel? TO then follow up pointing out this item is 10 years or so old, still fun, cheap, and I get lots of use out of it while you paid the same or more and can't because your long term 'rental' err 'ownership' as expired. I think any of those would work, and if not, well then walk away as they're too dumb to get into an argument about it as they'd never get it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    I have to say that is is actually the one place where digital copies of games are superior. If your xbox or ps3 gets stolen you can report that and be able to re-download the games on a new system. Same goes for games over steam.

If you choose to pirate your games it's even simpler. Just download them again.
    What if you had the same xbox with all your digitally downloaded games on it gets stolen way down the road when xbox live is no more?

Where as a collector I could pull my copy of nights into dreams off the shelf and still play it 20yrs from now if I wanted.

Besides downloading all your games takes long anyway. Some of them you can't play if you are not connected to the net for some odd reason.