Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell Nintendo Slavery is Not a Game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tell Nintendo Slavery is Not a Game!

Dear friends,

Electronics like laptops, cell phones, and game consoles contain minerals that are often mined by people in the Congo forced to perform this labor under threat of violence or death. This is why they are often called 'conflict minerals.'

Companies like HP, Apple and Microsoft have taken steps to make their products conflict-free, but not Nintendo.

The very first step for Nintendo to rid its products of conflict minerals is to audit its supply chain and make the information public.

The violence and slavery associated with the production of minerals in the Congo is devastating. There is absolutely no excuse for a company with so much money and power to turn a blind eye to this human rights tragedy.

Tell Nintendo that slavery is not a game.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...?z00m=20502405
    My Arcade Collection - http://www.ggdb.com/Collectors/ViewMember.aspx?mid=394
    Southern California Classic Collectors (SC3) - http://www.sc3videogames.com/
    3DS: 5370-0932-2395
    Wii U: SysOp Miiverse: The_MCP
    PSN: shertz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's all fine and dandy, but where do you draw the line?
    What about the fossil fuels used to power and produce these electronics? Are they 'conflict-free' as well?
    Does the fact that almost all of these things are manufactured in China, where working conditions and wages are pathetic, and the government is tyrannically evil just not matter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Well Shertz, you REALLY won't like the fact that Nintnedo is adding Kunta Kinte to the Mario Party 10 roster.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    What about the fossil fuels used to power and produce these electronics? Are they 'conflict-free' as well?
    Does the fact that almost all of these things are manufactured in China, where working conditions and wages are pathetic, and the government is tyrannically evil just not matter?
    Have to agree with this. The fact that various companies have certified aspects of their supply chain as "conflict free" or not using child labor or whatever else doesn't change the fact that all of them are benefitting from low wage labor in China which in many ways is just as exploitive as forced labor.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't know, Pikmin is awfully fun. :P

Sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist, haha.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Sad, but true.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Actual photo from the mines;

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post

I know you're just cracking a joke, but coltan mines in the Congo are pretty much as close to Hell on Earth as you can get. Then the money from mining goes to fund more conflict over the resources, the coltan gets shipped to Foxconn, assembled by workers who are taken advantage of, and sent to the developed world. Then after we're done with them, we recycle it and it gets shipped to China again, where they are stripped of precious and semi-precious metals using methods that would be unacceptable anywhere else in the world. Their rivers are poison and the breathing problems associated with melting down these metals without protection are debilitating.

All companies and consumers have blood on their hands. Some just have less blood than others, and you really do have to push companies to treat their workers better.

But there's a few questions you have to ask:

1. Are you willing to pay more if you know your gaming system/cell phone/TV/computer was made by a company that didn't use conflict minerals and treated its workers humanely?
    2. Will governments who rely on foreign manufacturer based income accept the changes that will make it unprofitable to let them be there?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    1. Are you willing to pay more if you know your gaming system/cell phone/TV/computer was made by a company that didn't use conflict minerals and treated its workers humanely?
    2. Will governments who rely on foreign manufacturer based income accept the changes that will make it unprofitable to let them be there?
    Rather than offering to pay more for products made in acceptable conditions, how about avoiding purchasing anything at all from companies unless their products are manufactured in acceptable conditions?

The truth is people aren't willing to change, they can't live without their modern conveniences and can't live without constantly upgrading them so nothing will change at all with these companies. People won't give up anything that entertains them as long as they can afford it. If people stop buying what's currently made, these companies will just come up with something slightly improved and people will start buying again to keep current. It's not like people will stop buying birthday and Christmas gifts, or gifts for any other holiday where it's become an obligation to find something suitable to pass off as a well thought out gift. All these purchases create jobs which affect the economy, which is that thing that people basically made up and doesn't actually exist as something that's real. No other species seems to have one yet we can't live without it.

It's like people protesting the cost of gas by staging boycotts, they get everyone to avoid buying gas on a certain day by stocking up the day before and the day after the boycott everyone buys gas again cause they're running out. Would these people actually give up their cars to stop using as much gas, no because it's too convenient. People have to travel far distances to get anywhere, assuming they have to go to work or buy groceries or pick up other supplies. The reason the distances are so far is because of the way everything is planned out for development, nothing is developed with close proximities being a priority. None of the roads are developed or maintained with pedestrians or cyclists being the top priority, everything is designed for motorists being the priority. Nobody seems to want to change this either so it's not going to.

I try not to worry that much about things I have no significant impact on or little control over, this story is one of them. Same with global warming and other issues. I'd rather focus my energy on things that I can actually affect in some way.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The sad reality is that even if all foreign companies stopped taking advantage of these people in third world countries working under horrid conditions, their lives would still be terrible because that's just the state of their home countries. In fact, some could even face worse conditions if they couldn't find any employment at all (not that I'm suggesting these business practices should be encouraged). And there's really very little the outside world can do to help them. They have corrupt, useless governments and cultural issues as well, what with all the conflict between those in different religions or belonging to different ethnic groups and such. I don't know what the solution is, but I know there isn't much we, on an individual level or as a country, can do to help them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Well Shertz, you REALLY won't like the fact that Nintnedo is adding Kunta Kinte to the Mario Party 10 roster.
    They're trying to replace him with some guy called Toby for the Western release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the real tragedy with Nintendo is that they hired that Reggie guy. What a freak. Fire him already. He's worthless and overpaid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    I think the real tragedy with Nintendo is that they hired that Reggie guy. What a freak. Fire him already. He's worthless and overpaid.
    someone actually doesn't like reggie? I find that hard to believe. The guy is nothing but smiles.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    They're trying to replace him with some guy called Toby for the Western release.
    Thread over.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'Kunta Kinte' would have a hard time getting a foothold here.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I told my girlfriend that this is the reason why I won't buy her a diamond. When she pointed out that there are such things as "Conflict Free Diamonds" mainly from Canada - I explained that even though they are mined largely blood free (Aside from a possible pickup hockey fight) they still contribute to the global demand, and morally I cannot purchase such a thing.

True Story.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    someone actually doesn't like reggie? I find that hard to believe. The guy is nothing but smiles.
    I'm hoping this post is sarcastic.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Lmao!!!

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slaverythegame.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	6354

I can't tell Nintendo that Slavery is not a game or I'd be lying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Terrible....but I laughed.