Thread: Playstation 4 Finally Officially Announced For Holiday 2013

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playstation 4 Finally Officially Announced For Holiday 2013

The next gen is about to jump into full swing courtesy of Sony Entertainment. And as expected it isn't using the former code name of Orbis. The controller doesn't look as bad as the early pics showed and I like the idea of the new share button. Lets discuss the rest of the new system.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 02-20-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Really thought they would go with a screen on the controller.

Also, the specs haven't impressed me so far. A well-equipped PC can easily outperform it from what I've seen.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

So far not really impressed. I think i am more impressed by their conference setup then the console XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like how they mentioned you can try out every game on the network so you know the game you buy is a game you'll love. Sounds like a feature to make new games only more appealing. ;(

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Good grief this is boring.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Good grief this is boring.
    Quit watching after about 40 minutes. I'll just read up on the highlights later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it looks like they are working on backwards compatibilty for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games but that it hasn't been finalized yet. So most likely not all systems will be BC at launch but theres still potential to get the rest done at a later date.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    So it looks like they are working on backwards compatibilty for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games but that it hasn't been finalized yet. So most likely not all systems will be BC at launch but theres still potential to get the rest done at a later date.
    I don't think that's what was said at all. David Perry who is the CEO of Gakai (a streaming service now owned by Sony) said they are working on a solution to make PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS Mobile games available on a variety of platforms. Essentially, I think they are talking about moving to a game streaming model for older games. The PS4 will just be used as a streaming platform (i.e. a way to connect to the streaming server and output to your TV while allowing controller interface) for older games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Really thought they would go with a screen on the controller.

Also, the specs haven't impressed me so far. A well-equipped PC can easily outperform it from what I've seen.
    Looks like that's where the Vita comes into play, literally.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Also, everyone shut up about the used game thing.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21...ock-used-games

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post

Uhh...wrong thread? No one's been talking about "used games" in this thread. We've discussed the lack of backwards compatibility with PS1-PS3 games, which is not the same thing at all. Unless I missed a whole chunk of the thread when I was scanning through earlier.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Uhh...wrong thread? No one's been talking about "used games" in this thread. We've discussed the lack of backwards compatibility with PS1-PS3 games, which is not the same thing at all. Unless I missed a whole chunk of the thread when I was scanning through earlier.
    Our last thread and the few times it was brought up before that, all the PS4 chatter was about how it was going to supposedly block used games from being played. It's nice to have something a tad more official on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather wait until IGN receives clarification from Sony before advising anyone to shut up about this. High ranking execs have flubbed the facts before, even in my own experience with Sony. I was in a meeting with a higher up at Sony the spring or summer before PSP GO was released. He had one at the meeting and kept fiddling with it so I approached him to check it out afterward. I asked him point blank regarding the ability to transfer physical games PSP players already owned to his then-new digital-only system. He informed me in no uncertain terms that this was going to happen. He either flat out lied or they ended up cutting that option after we spoke.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I'd rather wait until IGN receives clarification from Sony before advising anyone to shut up about this. High ranking execs have flubbed the facts before, even in my own experience with Sony. I was in a meeting with a higher up at Sony the spring or summer before PSP GO was released. He had one at the meeting and kept fiddling with it so I approached him to check it out afterward. I asked him point blank regarding the ability to transfer physical games PSP players already owned to his then-new digital-only system. He informed me in no uncertain terms that this was going to happen. He either flat out lied or they ended up cutting that option after we spoke.
    I agree. I also believe the journalists who asked this question asked the wrong question. It doesn't matter if the PS4 can play used discs or not. PCs can "play" used discs and you can install the full game to your hard drive from a used disc, but unless you have a unique key, you can't play the game. What matters is whether or not Sony will allow publishers to lock out used games using unique keys. Both Sony and Microsoft already allow this on the Xbox 360 and PS3 which is why multi-player passes exist. If Sony comes out and says "we will not allow publishers to lock games to a specific user or console", that would put that rumor to rest. Otherwise, they have said nothing at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

My point was that no one here was even discussing it in the official release info thread because it's apparently going to be a non-issue. So telling people to shut up about it seemed pointless. Even the Durango thread about used games has been fairly dead since the post about someone having information from a Sony rep from earlier this week/late last week.
    So what? It's a relevant nugget of information about the PS4, which is what this thread is about, correct? Are you really going to be so anal retentive that you're going to whine if I don't post in the exact thread you'd like? Get off. I got in some stupid arguments with stupid, panicky people about this very subject, and I'd like to enjoy my success. Thanks forum guy.

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Here's a whole bunch of links to different articles confirming the information.

LINK UNO
    LINK ZWEI
    LINK TROIS

It's all from the same source; an interview with Yoshida where he says, and I quote for those too lazy to read the links, "So used games can play on PS4. How's that?". So that's likely to turn out the way GameStop prefers.

So now that we've all forgotten that this is Sony we're talking about, how's about a confirmation that there's no PSN and save game backwards compatibility sound? So we have something to bitch about again?

GET READY GET MAD

EDIT: Ok, now Sony is saying that they COULD make them compatible, "if they choose to." So who knows what's going on.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 02-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So what? It's a relevant nugget of information about the PS4, which is what this thread is about, correct? Are you really going to be so anal retentive that you're going to whine if I don't post in the exact thread you'd like? Get off. I got in some stupid arguments with stupid, panicky people about this very subject, and I'd like to enjoy my success. Thanks forum guy.

Here's a whole bunch of links to different articles confirming the information.

LINK UNO
    LINK ZWEI
    LINK TROIS

It's all from the same source; an interview with Yoshida where he says, and I quote for those too lazy to read the links, "So used games can play on PS4. How's that?". So that's likely to turn out the way GameStop prefers.

So now that we've all forgotten that this is Sony we're talking about, how's about a confirmation that there's no PSN and save game backwards compatibility sound? So we have something to bitch about again?

GET READY GET MAD
    Again, it was not a clear denial nor did it clarify what happens if and when publishers want to release games on the PS4 and lock content to a particular user or console. His comments could be seen as also describing a Steam like model where used games can be transferred to other users or devices. Here is the first part of the quotation - "They purchase physical form; they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation." I have a lot of expectations in life, but that's not the same as reality unfortunately.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what? It's a relevant nugget of information about the PS4, which is what this thread is about, correct? Are you really going to be so anal retentive that you're going to whine if I don't post in the exact thread you'd like? Get off. I got in some stupid arguments with stupid, panicky people about this very subject, and I'd like to enjoy my success. Thanks forum girl.
    Hmm. Perhaps it's your attitude that's rubbing me the wrong way. Your original post about it had such an abrasive tone to it and came out of thin air because no one had mentioned the issue in two full pages of posts. It's like that guy who stands up and screams something random in the middle of another conversation. I don't disagree that it's an important topic to bring up, but your comment actually had me looking back through the entire thread to see who you might have even been responding to because I honestly thought I'd missed something, which means you did a poor job of communicating your message. I don't care that you didn't post it in another thread. I care that it came with an abrasive attitude, with no context whatsoever. Congratulations on (maybe) being right.

I actually agree with Bojay. The comments from Sony don't seem to unequivocally support used games. Used games have very little to do with statements like "They purchase physical form; they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation." - that sounds much more like a Steam model. "So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?" That one seems to indicate used games will work, I agree, but it almost seems like something's lost in translation or the question wasn't fully understood. The fact that always-on connectivity isn't going to be required though seems to lend itself more certainly in the allowing used games camp. Though even that's not a certainty. Not requiring always-on isn't the same as requiring sometimes-on in order to theoretically register games, which, from my understanding of Steam from friends who use it, is how that works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Hmm. Perhaps it's your attitude that's rubbing me the wrong way. Your original post about it had such an abrasive tone to it and came out of thin air because no one had mentioned the issue in two full pages of posts. It's like that guy who stands up and screams something random in blah blah .
    I am, in fact, a jerk. You'd best put me on "ignore" if you want to avoid future jerkery. Ass.

Insert Coin (Level 0) scaleworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good. Clarification is needed (like this) for them to hit the ground running for this system.
    Game on!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I am, in fact, a jerk. You'd best put me on "ignore" if you want to avoid future jerkery. Ass.
    Fair warning, this can be applied to a decent percentage of the active userbase, so if your goal is to avoid jerkery-ness, you might want to take the IHatedSega route.

Quote Originally Posted by scaleworm View Post
    Good. Clarification is needed (like this) for them to hit the ground running for this system.
    Not really needed. It's the next major Sony system. So long as the games are big and pretty, people will buy it.