Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 4 Finally Officially Announced For Holiday 2013

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't see the lack of BC really being that big of a deal. The competition certainly won't play PS1, PS2, or PS3 games either. At worst, it will put them on an even playing field with MS.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    So far theres no word if you can even carry over your PSN account to the PS4.
    More than likely you'll be able to. They did announce the Vita/PS4 compatibility and Vita still has PSN.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-22-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Not really surprising. I ran into a similar issue when I got my Wii U. My original Wiimotes wouldn't work with the Wii U, so I had to pony up for a new Wii Remote Plus..
    My launch-era Wiimotes worked just fine on my Wii U. o.o

I'm more miffed about the lack of Gamecube controller support.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    My launch-era Wiimotes worked just fine on my Wii U. o.o

I'm more miffed about the lack of Gamecube controller support.
    They might work for basic stuff, but certain games will require you to have the motion plus addon or a Wiimote that supports that natively. I couldn't get an original one to work with Nintendo Land. Maybe it was a fluke and I hadn't properly synched it to the console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The Wiimotes and original Wii accessories only work for backwards compatibility. Wii only. They don't work for any Wii U content.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The Wiimotes and original Wii accessories only work for backwards compatibility. Wii only. They don't work for any Wii U content.
    Thanks for the clarification. It's been a few months since I went through the whole setup process before Christmas morning and couldn't remember the specifics.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    While it hasn't officially been announced yet I seriously doubt they would do this. Even before Sony's conference on Wednesday I said that neither would do this out right but that the tech would be there if they changed their minds later down the road(the tech is already there if they wanted to do this with the 360 and PS3 respectively). But Microsoft is not foolish enough to make their console stand out as the only one that blocks used games so don't expect to hear that announcment when they finally reveal their new console.

I think this is much more relevant to both systems. It's already been revealed that if you purchase a PS4 you can't play PS1, PS2, PS3 or PSN games because of the hardware change. While it's not a big deal to me(I only own one PSN game and I'll be keeping one of my PS3's) this could be a deal breaker for many who are heavily invested in their current game catologs, rather we're talking about dozens of physical games or dozens of PSN games, including the instant game collection. Sadly, I feel that this is one area where Microsoft will also disappoint their customers by telling them that their XBL online games can not carry over to the new system but I'm hoping to be wrong on this one. But it gets more interesting than that....

So far theres no word if you can even carry over your PSN account to the PS4. You have to figure that since you are losing all of your content anyway Sony may make you start over, which would again suck for those who want to keep their trophy collectiosn going on the new system. Atleast with Microsoft I know that I will be able to keep my same gamertag I've had since the original Xbox but they too might say that my achievements are not being transferred over. Of course neither has announced this is going to happen but if they are getting rid of other links to the older systems(games, downloaded movies, music, etc) you have to wonder how far it will go. Just food for thought.
    I thought I read somewhere that the PS4 would have a unique feature that would allow you to stream any of the old Playstation line's games on it. Was that just a rumor too? Sure you might have to start over, making it only really a better option for people who never played the originals or who don't own the original hard copies but it is still three generations to take from while the Durango would only have two generations to pull from if they did the same thing.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought that I heard that certain mini games on Nintendoland will work with regular Wii Motes, and some require the Wii Motion Plus. I could have sworn I heard this talked about in multiple places, and on various podcasts.

I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the PS4 would have a unique feature that would allow you to stream any of the old Playstation line's games on it. Was that just a rumor too?
    Sony did buy GaiKai for like 300 million for their streaming technology, with the thinking that they would be able to use that as a band-aid for not having hardware BC. The thinking however, is that this is going to be something that Sony rolls out slowly over time. Also, there are a number of issues associated with this whole thing like bandwidth caps, and what kind up speeds you get on your home internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I thought that I heard that certain mini games on Nintendoland will work with regular Wii Motes, and some require the Wii Motion Plus. I could have sworn I heard this talked about in multiple places, and on various podcasts.

I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.
    Maybe. I don't own one, I was just posting what I read about it. Maybe someone who owns a Wii U can clarify this? Can Wii U controllers only be used on the Wii U side and Wii controllers only be used on the Wii side?
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-23-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jehusephat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Maybe. I don't own one, I was just posting what I read about it. Maybe someone who owns a Wii U can clarify this? Can Wii U controllers only be used on the Wii U side and Wii controllers only be used on the Wii side?
    I have a Wii U, and I had no trouble at all getting my Wii remotes to work with the console. Motion Plus is required to play some of the games in Nintendoland, but I've been using them as controllers for New Super Mario Bros. U without the attachments and they both seem to work fine. I was actually impressed that Nintendo allowed backwards compatibility for Wii remotes as opposed to making everyone buy new controllers for the Wii U.

The Wii controllers don't work until you synchronize them with the console. I hadn't played my Wii in years, so it took me a second or two to remember that I needed to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Sony did buy GaiKai for like 300 million for their streaming technology, with the thinking that they would be able to use that as a band-aid for not having hardware BC. The thinking however, is that this is going to be something that Sony rolls out slowly over time. Also, there are a number of issues associated with this whole thing like bandwidth caps, and what kind up speeds you get on your home internet.
    So far, they're only using the PS4 as a Gaikai server to stream games to the Vita, but there's nothing stopping them from using it as a client for an online Gaikai server that plays previous generation games, or even super computer powered future games once the PS4 is old hat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You have it all backwards. It's Wii U controller's that don't work with Wii titles in Wii mode (Which is just stupid when the gamepad and Pro Controller have everything necessary to substitute for a GameCube or Classic Controller in compatible Wii titles).

Original Wii controller's are supported by a wide variety of Wii U software. Wiimotes and nunchucks even carry Wii U branding on their boxes these days because of that compatibility.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-23-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    You have it all backwards. It's Wii U controller's that don't work with Wii titles in Wii mode (Which is just stupid when the gamepad and Pro Controller have everything necessary to substitute for a GameCube or Classic Controller in compatible Wii titles).

Original Wii controller's are supported by a wide variety of Wii U software. Wiimotes and nunchucks even carry Wii U branding on their boxes these days because of that compatibility.
    Supposedly Pikmin 3 is going to require MotionPlus, and the Zelda and Metroid mini-game in Nintendo Land already do. So as long as you don't want to play any of those, you're fine with a standard Wiimote. It's rather confusing really. It seems like developers aren't required to use MotionPlus, so some will and some won't and it'll just vary. I think in a way I'd rather have seen them shift to using that exclusively just for the sake of consistency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's absolutely retarded for games to require controllers from the previous generation of the hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

He mean's that Pikmin 3 will require a Motion Plus equipped Wiimote if you choose to play it with a Wiimote. As far as I'm aware, there's been no sign as of it yet of a Wii U release that actually mandates that you utilize Wii compatible controller's for single player. I imagine the upcoming Wii Fit U will change that situation though.

Hopefully it becomes commonplace. Motion on the Wii stunk most of the time but where it worked, it was great to have. There's no reason why standard controller support should be shoehorned into projects like those where it doesn't make sense to support. There's plenty of Wiimotes and nunchucks to go around regardless of the fact that those controller's aren't bundled in with the system.

I can't imagine something like Wii Sports U being as good of a game as it could be if it needs to be able to be played with either Wii control's or the Wii U's gamepad.

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Supposedly Pikmin 3 is going to require MotionPlus, and the Zelda and Metroid mini-game in Nintendo Land already do. So as long as you don't want to play any of those, you're fine with a standard Wiimote. It's rather confusing really. It seems like developers aren't required to use MotionPlus, so some will and some won't and it'll just vary. I think in a way I'd rather have seen them shift to using that exclusively just for the sake of consistency.
    I think that there's enough Motion Plus Wiimotes out there now where we don't have to worry about a developer eschewing it in favor of a regular Wiimote when the enhanced capabilities would be beneficial (Look at the sales of Wii Sports Resort for some evidence of just how widespread Motion Plus adoption eventually became). So I'm glad there's not a mandate so that when a regular Wiimote is adequate for a situation, it's available as an option.

I'm sure we're going to have no shortage of software that features motion control that will include Motion Plus support.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-24-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't think you're going to see anything under $500 from Sony this time around. The fact that they boosted the RAM to 8GB of DDR5 is awesome, but it has a wholesale price of $150-$175 and it's not going to get much cheaper between now and the Fall.
    Yeah you could be right? People are just gonna have to get use to the fact that a cutting console isn't going to be cheap. I still would say $399 will be the lowest the PS4 will be, but probably closer to $450-499. People that are hoping for a $299-350 PS4 are delusional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If Sony think's there's any prayer that a $500 game console will succeed in 2013, the Playstation 4 is going to be their last game console.

They're not in the position to afford a repeat of the same screwup two generation's in a row.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    If Sony think's there's any prayer that a $500 game console will succeed in 2013, the Playstation 4 is going to be their last game console.

They're not in the position to afford a repeat of the same screwup two generation's in a row.
    Honestly, I don't see how either company can sell their machines for less than $449.99 or $499.99. If either Sony or Microsoft prices their system at $399.99, that would be ideal, but I just think the hit per console would be extremely harsh. Remember, Microsoft is going to be throwing a new version of Kinect in with every console. Sony is using 8 gigs of DDR5. Sony is also including a more advanced camera with every console.

It's going to be very hard to get either box priced at $399.99 this time. If one of them can do it, then more power to them, but I just can't see it based on the specs announced and the various rumors.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CatTehBus's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Sony made a good move by showing us the controller so early, this gives them alot of time to see what people think and redesign if they need to. I remember they also did this with the PS3 boomerang controller. I can't imagine how the touch screen will be useful or easy to use but maybe I'm just not being creative enough
    Last edited by CatTehBus; 02-23-2013 at 09:07 PM.