Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Default It's True: 1UP has Reached Its End

"It's True: 1UP has Reached Its End
    A message from the now-former editor-in-chief.
    By Jeremy Parish, 02/21/2013

The corporate version:

Today, Ziff-Davis announced that as part of a restructuring of its new property IGN Entertainment, three of IGN's smaller secondary sites -- namely, 1UP.com, Gamespy.com, and UGO.com -- would be "winding down." As is often the case with such reorganizations, some of 1UP's staff was laid off while others will be moving over to work as contributors at IGN.com. No timeline was given for 1UP's closure or if its servers would continue to run indefinitely.

The human version:

As of today, 1UP will be entering the sunset into which all former websites eventually must ride. This comes as huge disappointment for me -- not because I'm editor-in-chief of the site, but because I've been with it since the beginning. That's nearly 10 years of my life invested in this website through all its ups and downs... and ups... and dooooowwwwwns.

It's been a fantastic (almost) 10 years. Even in its most frustrating and even dispiriting moments (there were some pretty dark times before IGN bought us in 2011), 1UP has always been fueled by the sincere enthusiasm of everyone writing for the site. Dozens upon dozens of people have moved through the various doors of our assorted offices, and each of them brought passion and talent to their work. I'm proud to have been a part of something so much larger than myself, and to help guide it as gracefully as possible to its slow halt since taking over the role left behind by my predecessors, Sam Kennedy and James Mielke.

Read through the site's archives and you'll find some truly amazing content. In-depth interviews with legendary developers, insanely detailed explorations of the niche and obscure, brilliant coverage of the top news of the day. You'll find revolutionary video programs and trendsetting podcasts. Incisive reviews and comprehensive blogs. God, there's so much here we need to archive in case someone does pull the plug on the servers.

But most of all, 1UP has always been fueled by passionate readers. No, you guys are more than readers -- you're participants. You've called in for podcasts, shaken our hands at trade shows and conventions, flagged us down on the street, berated us in comments, and chimed in to express your own take on the topics of the day. 1UP has played a huge role over the years in changing the perception and nature of the gaming press from broadcast to conversation. And the outpouring of memories and affection today on forums, on Twitter, and in our blogs has only served to reinforce the impact 1UP has had on countless people. You guys are awesome."

http://www.1up.com/news/true-1up-reached

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, ....gamespy and UGO I can see, but 1UP? Seriously?! a grillion people use that site. Ign is making a foolish decision if you ask me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I said it a bit already in the G4TV goes byebye thread in another part of the board, but really, it's no loss and perhaps it's a strong lesson to be learned. The gaming media isn't media and it has taken a long time for people to catch onto it. They're paid fanboys who hate for senseless reasons or suck up with blinders on. Pretending to be objective only lasts so long, same with having paid for reviews when people keep scooping up A-rated D quality garbage. Perhaps a lesson can be learned here by IGN and the rest that not being objective and honest can only go so far before people tune out, you go under, and people seek amateur efforts with a more honest track record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I said it a bit already in the G4TV goes byebye thread in another part of the board, but really, it's no loss and perhaps it's a strong lesson to be learned. The gaming media isn't media and it has taken a long time for people to catch onto it. They're paid fanboys who hate for senseless reasons or suck up with blinders on. Pretending to be objective only lasts so long, same with having paid for reviews when people keep scooping up A-rated D quality garbage. Perhaps a lesson can be learned here by IGN and the rest that not being objective and honest can only go so far before people tune out, you go under, and people seek amateur efforts with a more honest track record.
    That's not really fair, 1up in particular was one of the better gaming/news sites out there, and personally I'm sad to see it gone.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    That's not really fair, 1up in particular was one of the better gaming/news sites out there, and personally I'm sad to see it gone.
    I'm sad to see them go as well. 1UP seemed to be one of the first mainstream sites to pay much attention to the indie gaming scene, and while I've never followed them terribly closely or regularly, I've always thought they were well ahead of the curve as far as the big name outfits go.

Can't say that I feel the same about Gamespy or UGO though. To my mind they were basically the IGN of the late 90s/early 00s, paving the way and setting the example for huge monolithic networks that swallow up and homogenize better sites and produce little of value themselves.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The game media is as much a part of the media as any other entity covering pop culture. There are some good journalists and some bad just like in all media. It's sad that you are so blind to the difference that you lack any objectivity at all in the matter and frankly, your opinion shows just how uninformed you are.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default That sucks

I'm not going to start going to IGN anytime soon or anyother Ziff Davis company.

Screw them!

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    I'm not going to start going to IGN anytime soon or anyother Ziff Davis company.

Screw them!
    I had been using Gamespy's release date list as a way to keep track of new releases for my personal database. I guess I'll have to find an alternative. Does anyone have any suggestions? Joystiq has a weekly thing that I get in my RSS feed, but I've noticed that there's stuff that shows up on Gamespy that never shows up on there. IGN seems to have a list, and it looks fairly thorough, so maybe I'll just migrate to that. But if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears (or eyes, as the case is here).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    I'm not going to start going to IGN anytime soon
    I occasionally use the IGN app on XBL but I don't go to their site and I don't think I've ever really used the 1UP main site for any extended amount of time. I usually ended up there while tracking down game info. Same thing with Gamespy, just ended up there in the midst of game searches.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    The game media is as much a part of the media as any other entity covering pop culture. There are some good journalists and some bad just like in all media. It's sad that you are so blind to the difference that you lack any objectivity at all in the matter and frankly, your opinion shows just how uninformed you are.
    Uninformed hardly, look at the stories over the years of people exposing paid for reviews and manipulating scores for ad dollars such as Gerstman being fired for panning a game that was being advertised on Gamespot a few years back. I used to work in this media and it sickened me to the point I separated myself from it due to all the childish behavior. I'm well aware there are good and bad people who cover stuff, but the sad reality I was exposed to was that there was more bad than good in doing "honest" even handed reporting depending on the writers preference to X console or genre over Y. It's not hard to go digging at all and find immaturity around M rated games, systems with too many all ages stuff, anti-"insert console maker" news and reviews slants, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Wow, ....gamespy and UGO I can see, but 1UP? Seriously?! a grillion people use that site. Ign is making a foolish decision if you ask me.
    Personally I'll miss Gamespy more than 1UP because of their PC gaming news.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Says the dude who has a tattoo of Miyamoto riding Yoshi on his scrotum.
    You're 0 and whatever your post count is for worthwhile contributions so far; that's even worse than Aswald and Diskoboy for whatever it's worth.

1UP was a Hell of a site that produced some of the best of the new games journalists, podcasts, developers, and personalities. If it wasn't what it used to be during the EGM days, it at least still had an original voice. It'll be missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Uninformed hardly, look at the stories over the years of people exposing paid for reviews and manipulating scores for ad dollars such as Gerstman being fired for panning a game that was being advertised on Gamespot a few years back. I used to work in this media and it sickened me to the point I separated myself from it due to all the childish behavior. I'm well aware there are good and bad people who cover stuff, but the sad reality I was exposed to was that there was more bad than good in doing "honest" even handed reporting depending on the writers preference to X console or genre over Y. It's not hard to go digging at all and find immaturity around M rated games, systems with too many all ages stuff, anti-"insert console maker" news and reviews slants, etc.
    Where did you work? Links or you're another GameFAQs liar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I look forward to seeing this branch of the conversation develop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I look forward to seeing this branch of the conversation develop.
    It won't. Tanooki is that most useless of internet conversation polluters: the kind that invents expertise to back up his terrible opinios. His brother works for Nintendo, or Midway, when he needs to defend the Wii-U, but when I ask for a name? He ignores me. When he needs to lump 1Up into the same group as G4 TV and other defunct sites? He's worked in the industry, trust him! But will he provide evidence? Nope.

He's just another internet guy, but one should always provoke them. Eventually they post something you can disprove through basic research and send them packing in shame. Assuming they have any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It won't. Tanooki is that most useless of internet conversation polluters: the kind that invents expertise to back up his terrible opinios. His brother works for Nintendo, or Midway, when he needs to defend the Wii-U, but when I ask for a name? He ignores me. When he needs to lump 1Up into the same group as G4 TV and other defunct sites? He's worked in the industry, trust him! But will he provide evidence? Nope.

He's just another internet guy, but one should always provoke them. Eventually they post something you can disprove through basic research and send them packing in shame. Assuming they have any.
    It saddens me a litle that there has been no comeback at all, and yet, it is not expected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    It saddens me a litle that there has been no comeback at all, and yet, it is not expected.
    Agreed.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This sucks, I enjoy their podcasts...
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/defender- (my real name is Jeff Kennedy) I also had worked on NHL Hitz 2002 PS2+Xbox, Legion Legend of Excalubur for PS2, Slugfest for Xbox all credited. Primarily worked just in testing, but also did technical standards evaluation on a couple projects, back-up lead on a pair, and helped with some controller/gameplay layout alternative controls for GC Defender and that's it. Uncredited Gauntlet Dark Legacy GC-PAL, Dr Muto all systems, and a few others but they wouldn't credit people for overtime work on those systems, just the primarily assigned staff. And then as far as the media went GCAdvanced.com which in turn was converted to AMN Advanced Media Network, which eventually yet again re-branded to Kombo.com which still exists, but is under an entire new ownership, staff and named gamezone.com now (old records removed unfortunately.) While at that media company I did a few editorials and special stories, and most the time previews and reviews of handheld titles for the GBA and DS. The old internet wayback machine hasn't many records left that work, but here's one review I finally found for Ultimate Spiderman for GBA -- http://web.archive.org/web/200512281...php?artid=6031 and a FF4 Advance preview too -- http://web.archive.org/web/200602032...php?artid=6137

I don't see a reason to lie about working on stuff like that in the past and it would be pretty pathetic to do so especially on a gaming board where anyone could potentially remember a media outlet or have a copy of a game I have listed and just thumb the manual to see if I'm lying or not. I don't have any credits as far as I know on gamefaqs though which really shouldn't matter as mobygames has a better credited listing system. I also am not lying when I say I have a brother still in it, look up Sean Kennedy (currently at pipeworks, formerly of Volition, Sega Sammy, EA San Diego, Rockstar Games) and if he passes stuff on I can talk about I do.

I have no idea why you have to always be such a dick to me. I have no idea who you are and I've never taken a shot at you either so what the hell is the problem? Just needed a random person to be shitty at to feel better about yourself? Sorry if I didn't come right back at you so you could have some more cheap fun, but I don't read this board every day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/defender- (my real name is Jeff Kennedy) I also had worked on NHL Hitz 2002 PS2+Xbox, Legion Legend of Excalubur for PS2, Slugfest for Xbox all credited. Primarily worked just in testing, but also did technical standards evaluation on a couple projects, back-up lead on a pair, and helped with some controller/gameplay layout alternative controls for GC Defender and that's it. Uncredited Gauntlet Dark Legacy GC-PAL, Dr Muto all systems, and a few others but they wouldn't credit people for overtime work on those systems, just the primarily assigned staff. And then as far as the media went GCAdvanced.com which in turn was converted to AMN Advanced Media Network, which eventually yet again re-branded to Kombo.com which still exists, but is under an entire new ownership, staff and named gamezone.com now (old records removed unfortunately.) While at that media company I did a few editorials and special stories, and most the time previews and reviews of handheld titles for the GBA and DS. The old internet wayback machine hasn't many records left that work, but here's one review I finally found for Ultimate Spiderman for GBA -- http://web.archive.org/web/200512281...php?artid=6031 and a FF4 Advance preview too -- http://web.archive.org/web/200602032...php?artid=6137
    Ha ha! Now THAT is a response! Well played! None of the links to your reviews on the Wayback machine work, and you're not on LinkedIn so it's impossible to verify your claims, but I like your spirit.

I have no idea why you have to always be such a dick to me. I have no idea who you are and I've never taken a shot at you either so what the hell is the problem? Just needed a random person to be shitty at to feel better about yourself? Sorry if I didn't come right back at you so you could have some more cheap fun, but I don't read this board every day.
    Nah.

I'll admit that some of your posts have a whiff of that which annoys me most; self-identification with products and companies that don't know you exist; in this case, Nintendo. This might also be the first post in which you use proper grammar and spelling, for whatever that's worth. Also, your opinions? Kinda on the extreme side of a seventeen year old NeoGAF user. Your complete dismissal of 1UP as an entity based entirely on the supposition that since SOME websites have had scandals involving payouts for positive reviews, then clearly ALL of them must be on the take, for example. Which is terrible logic, by the way. It shows a remarkable lack of compassion and empathy for the people who lost their jobs, and annoys the folks who have positive memories of the 1UP community. Kinda like telling people at a funeral that you thought the deceased was kind of a dick because you heard third hand that he was kinda racist, and then wondering why people call you out.

Still, I am the asshole in this equation, and I have been humbled. You have my apologies.