Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN 5 is officially a thing, apparently

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Compatibility issues

Did anyone have MAJOR compatibility problems with the Retron3? I had my expectations set low to begin with, but I have a stack of probably 15 NES games, 4 SNES games, and multiple Genesis games that will not play. Is this just my unit? Or is this something to be expected across the board?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pikointeractive's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hey guys,

I know I already posted,

but you can get a Special Edition Packaging OFFICIAL Hyperkin Retron4 with the game that we are releasing on my kickstarter

Link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...t-for-the-snes

I really want to call the guy that says that has a review console out, cause there are no review consoles yet.

I can post updates about the packaging etc on the kickstarter when I get a green light from Hyperkin, which is right after that expo mentioned on the press release.

Another cool thing to add is that you will be able to play PAL games, even the ones that have software protection.
    Last edited by Pikointeractive; 03-07-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NLScavenger
    PSN
    NLScavenger
    Steam
    NLScavenger

It wouldn't surprise me if the RetroN 4 is some sort of Android device with retrode like functionality running an emulator, especially because of the "perdana" interface.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the RetroN 4 is some sort of Android device with retrode like functionality running an emulator, especially because of the "perdana" interface.
    Could be.

A menu-driven interface is very curious.

But this could be a good thing considering that most Android-based emulators for these systems have worked out a lot of the compatibility issues that on-a-chip emulators have.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    This. For some reason I was picturing an fpga-based solution, but Android something makes perfect sense. They'll be unveiling it at Midwest Gaming Classic 2013, and I am excited. I've never used a Hyperkin product, but if this is at least halfway decent I may pick one up. I remember being very excited about the GeneratioNEX, and the let-down from that. Maybe they got smart and just have it running an emulator.

From the MGC hype page (http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/...System-at-MGC/) :
    When users boot up the machine, they will find the “Perdana” digital user interface which opens a wide variety of modern gaming features such as selecting systems, button reassignment and other features that will be named at the Midwest Gaming Classic
    Also 2 of each controller port to cover all of the systems (that have controllers). Neat stuff.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

That prospect has me even more excited. Emulators that run the original game cartridge hardware? That's like......the best of both words, right there.

Maybe Hyperkin CAN do HDMI NES if they aren't using a NOAC any longer.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally, I don't know much about these clones but a couple of years ago I picked up a boxed Yobo FC Twin at Value Village for $6.99 and haven't had any issues with it. Seems like a decent alternative if the real hardware isn't available.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    Did anyone have MAJOR compatibility problems with the Retron3? I had my expectations set low to begin with, but I have a stack of probably 15 NES games, 4 SNES games, and multiple Genesis games that will not play. Is this just my unit? Or is this something to be expected across the board?
    You seem to have a faulty unit. Out of all my NES, Super NES and Genesis games, there are only 5 which fail to work correctly (two don't work at all) on my RetroN3 Version 3. Those same 5 don't work on the RetroN3 Version 1, either (all 5 fail to work), but only 1 of those fail to work at all on the RetroN3 Version 2 (Virtua Racing), though there's still one NES game that fails to work correctly due to what I presume is a wiring error on the cartridge slot (After Burner). You should get that system exchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    That prospect has me even more excited. Emulators that run the original game cartridge hardware? That's like......the best of both words, right there.
    Not if Hyperkin pulls off the same shit as AtGames did with their ARM emulation-based Geniclones. They combine software emulation with the use of original cartridges and do a VERY bad job at it. If Hyperkin pulls this crap on the RetroN4, and I wouldn't be surprised if they would as they've been half-assing everything since the RetroN3, you can expect the RetroN4 to be REALLY bad.
    Last edited by Ace; 03-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    You seem to have a faulty unit. Out of all my NES, Super NES and Genesis games, there are only 5 which fail to work correctly (two don't work at all) on my RetroN3 Version 3. Those same 5 don't work on the RetroN3 Version 1, either (all 5 fail to work), but only 1 of those fail to work at all on the RetroN3 Version 2 (Virtua Racing), though there's still one NES game that fails to work correctly due to what I presume is a wiring error on the cartridge slot (After Burner). You should get that system exchanged.

Not if Hyperkin pulls off the same shit as AtGames did with their ARM emulation-based Geniclones. They combine software emulation with the use of original cartridges and do a VERY bad job at it. If Hyperkin pulls this crap on the RetroN4, and I wouldn't be surprised if they would as they've been half-assing everything since the RetroN3, you can expect the RetroN4 to be REALLY bad.
    Well, the arm-based Firecore stuff was Linux/Dingoo style emulation if I'm not mistaken, and while there are audio and video problems with that, at the end of the day, it's not really THAT much worse that what they do with the on-a-chip hardware.

However, if they can manage to scrape together an affordable Android chip-set for this thing, I know from experience that even the lowest of the low-end Android tech can handle NES, SNES, GBA and Genesis just fine.

I had all of those emulators running at a decent clip on my old Android G1 4 years ago, and the mid to low range stuff that's out there now is MORE than capable of running 10 times better than that.

My expectations are tempered, but I'd like it if they went the Android route.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Well, the arm-based Firecore stuff was Linux/Dingoo style emulation if I'm not mistaken, and while there are audio and video problems with that, at the end of the day, it's not really THAT much worse that what they do with the on-a-chip hardware.
    WAY wrong, Frankie. It's nothing like that; the AtGames shit is a Titan ARM core with a custom-made emulator put on it. It's a total abomination.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    WAY wrong, Frankie. It's nothing like that; the AtGames shit is a Titan ARM core with a custom-made emulator put on it. It's a total abomination.
    I stand corrected then!

I had read somewhere that they had used a linux-type OS for the firecore consoles with the SD slots. Didn't know it was all proprietary.

They totally have audio issues and some rom compatibility, but I still really like the Gopher and the Arcade Joystick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

hey guys, just confirmed that that the console is not emulation base but chip based.

I will post screen shots and video when I get it!

Confirmed: emulation based.
    Last edited by Pikointeractive; 03-09-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reverse-enginnered hardware? Really? The only way to confirm this would be to show pictures of the motherboard. Looking forward to seeing what the RetroN4 is like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, whatever it is, I'm curious as hell. But, I always am!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Like most retro gamers I of course have multiple ways of playing all four systems the RetorN4 offers and while the other three are interesting to me, what really has me interested is the prospect of HDMI NES. If Hyperkin manages to pull that off and pull it off well, everything else is just icing on the cake.

Pikointeractive, will you have a review unit ahead of its official release? If you will, please tell me and the rest of us about the NES video output. If it's not just composite through HDMI I'm automatically sold on this clone.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Idk if Im getting a review one, but for sure I get them as soon as release because the whole kickstarter Reward that I have to fulfill.

Ill keep everyone posted, the kickstarter will get the news first.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    what really has me interested is the prospect of HDMI NES.
    There is an actual HDMI NES mod for the Top Loader using the original PPU.... http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=92557

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shoeshot View Post
    There is an actual HDMI NES mod for the Top Loader using the original PPU.... http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=92557
    Bunnyboy of RetroZone is apparently still working on ironing out the bugs and compatibility issues, but he wrote that the HDMI modded Toploaders should be available by April. Wonder how much this will cost...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wel bunny's stuff won't be cheap as you can see what a top loader will set you back. Then I'd figure if you don't buy an all completed project up front accounting for that, you'll need to offer up your system or one you bought, mail it in, pay for the labor, parts, and shipping. Wild guess but perhaps a couple hundred dollars?

RetroN4 I think I saw somewhere was looking at $80(?) for the system. Sure it won't be 100% accurate as bunny's stuff as it's real hardware being upgraded with HDMI parts, but it will cost a fraction of the price and run 3 more systems too at some level of compatibility. Given hyperkin over time has slowly made their NOAC more stable and the other two systems run admirably well, one could hope there will be more upgrades and fixes to this device to make it appealing as a must buy upgrade to existing owners and new people to win them over too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It seems that the Retron4 will be emulation based.