Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN 5 is officially a thing, apparently

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

***Note: I'm not trying to be a bastard with this response, Satoshi Matrix, so please don't take offense.***

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I do understand your point an see where you're coming from, but personally, I do not agree. While I wouldn't have an issue with Hyperkin adding in direct ROM support as an optional game input, I honestly don't feel it is needed nor practical. If you're going to be running an emulation machine that runs games directly off a storage device, at that point, you might as well use a modified Xbox or modified Wii, systems that are currently on the market and cost less than this fancy new device.
    I always thought that a big selling point of multi-system clones was to consolidate your video game systems. If being able to play roms in addition to carts on the RetroN 5 means a gamer could shelf the space eating clunker that is the Xbox, then it would be very practical indeed.

The entire point of the Retrorn5 is to serve the retro community...
    You could have stopped right there and been bang on. The RetroN 5 is a video game console. Playing video games is its purpose. As far as I am concerned, playing the physical cartridges of different retro systems is merely its means of doing such. Expanding its means of serving the retro community by adding rom support does no violence to the "point of the system" anymore then if someone buys the clone and pops in a flash cart for each respective system's cartridge slot.

Still, as I said, I'm not opposed to the idea of direct ROM support like the awful AtGames clones.... just saying that it isn't necessary.
    Convenience and luxury are never necessary, and we are talking about a video game system rather than a toaster, after all. This clone could just have some hard-wired controllers and no controller ports and it would still be functional. HMDI isn't necessary either when a rf connector would suffice. If "the entire point of the Retrorn5 is to serve the retro community," let it serve us with gusto. The only reason to restrain from withholding convenience or luxury is either cost or legal concerns.

Reiterating the preface of my response, I'm not trying to be a jerk with my critiques of your comments. I just think that notions of "purism" being attached to aftermarket clones by gamers are misplaced. If the argument or sentiment is going to be made, implicitly or otherwise, that playing cartridges is sacred and that is what the RetroN 5 does, would not the same line of reasoning for the sake of consistency also cry sacrilege that the original hardware is not being used? From a functional standpoint, aren't the integrity of roms (providing they aren't corrupted) easier to maintain over attempts at replicating the hardware or performance of a video game system? I get that using physical carts over roms replicates the external experience more closely, and that is an important part of retro gaming for many, no doubt. I just don't think it tarnishes the experience of popping a cartridge into a clone if the thing also happens to be able to play roms.
    Last edited by treismac; 03-24-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: than/then correction

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Hm, this does look impressive. I will wait until I see pictures of an actual unit, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Prototype Retron 4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	retron4_1.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	6463

System Menu (beta)

Name:	retron5_proto_interface.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	6464

Retron 5 test with Street Fighter Alpha 2

http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you Frankie for considering banning MyTurn. I have never felt the need to support a ban on another member, but the constant lying despite several warnings is old and needs to be dealt with. I am sure you guys will take care of it, again, thank you.

I personally love the fact that companies take the risk to make new systems. I think we should be less harsh and not expect perfection considering what it takes to get it running. We all have the internet, read reviews.

On DP, there are several people who do honest reviews. As a responsible consumer, watch/read the reviews. If it has too many flaws, don't buy it. If the flaws are minor to you, buy it. Simple as that. Don't just blindly bash ALL clones cuz that is what everyone else does.

These companies are trying to make a needed product and I appreciate the effort even though some are better than others. I personally own several and can easily overlook the minor flaws. I like having choices.

As far as the new system, it sounds fantastic. If it delivers, I think this may be a universally excepted clone.............................or not....
    Last edited by MachineGex; 03-25-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dear lord is that ugly! It looks like someone made an all-in-one using Tupperware as the makeshift housing

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The entire point of the Retrorn5 is to serve the retro community by playing the physical cartridges we all collect, buy, trade, play and adore.
    I think the point of these consoles are more for the casual player that just wants to play a few games from a few different systems, rather than collectors who have hundreds of games. Most casual fans aren't really aware of flash carts or emulation so they opt to buying a handful of original carts from local game stores, the same stores who stock these consoles. It makes sense for stores to sell cheap all-in-one consoles as they'll be selling more cartidges that way, someone buys a console for NES games and they might still pick up some SNES or Genesis games too. These stores sell these consoles but not flashcarts, it's pretty obvious why.

It's like saying the all-in-one boomboxes sold in Walmart are aimed at audiophiles.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post

Dear lord is that ugly! It looks like someone made an all-in-one using Tupperware as the makeshift housing
    Apparently, that's just a prototype.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Name:	Retron5.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	6465

This is the final revision of the Retron 5 ... is a black beauty !!!!
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The entire point of the Retrorn5 is to serve the retro community by playing the physical cartridges we all collect, buy, trade, play and adore. An SD card sort of defeats the purpose. By adding in a SD card slot, I feel it would take something away. Still, as I said, I'm not opposed to the idea of direct ROM support like the awful AtGames clones.... just saying that it isn't necessary.
    The last I knew, the entire point of this is to play classic games from a variety of popular platforms from years gone by with a minimum of fuss on a brand new and economically priced system appropriate for connecting to the HDTV's that dominate many homes today.

Allowing the SD slot that's already included to load roms doesn't defeat the purpose any more than allowing the option to use original controllers in lieu of the bundled in universal BlueTooth wireless controller would. It's simply another logical option to include that would appeal to many of their potential customers.

What could the option possibly take away from this device? What complexity do you think there would be in allowing this capability on a emulation device that already supports reading and writing to SD memory? And so what if it's not necessary?

Neither is having six original controller ports on here, remapping buttons, save states, and so on and so on.

Look at pictures of their previous effort.

Designing an attractive machine is the one thing I think we can all be sure about not happening here. But at least solid black improves it a bit by helping conceal some of the strange lines of this system. Looks better than that red/black combination at the very least.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-23-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Retron 5? What happened to 4?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They added a dedicated Famicom cartridge slot. So now it has five cartridge slots. Thus the five.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

@ treismac: Again, my point is just that direct fed ROM support through some storage medium isn't necessary. I'm not totally against the idea. If they include it great; but if not I won't be heartbroken. It's just not something I think I'd use much even if it were present.

You want it though? Great. Unlike MyTurnToPlay, I won't crap over your opinion just because mine is different.

@ MachineGex: I agree. I normally have extreme tolerance and think most forums ban people more they they should, but this guy really does need to go.

@ wiggyx: I don't really think it's THAT ugly, but keep in mind it's just a prototype. Also keep in mind Hyperkin's other projects, like the Retorn3, have never exactly been the most visually pleasing devices to begin with. Even the way it is now, the Retorn5 looks better than anything Hyperkin has ever done.

@ Leo_A: Again, I merely don't think Hyperkin needs to do this to make their clone a resounding success. ROM support is a gray area, both legally and morally. If Hyperkin goes ahead with direct ROM feed support in addition to the cartridge support, it's not like I'm going to start complaining.

Just so there's no confusion, let me say it once again:

FOR ME PERSONALLY, the most important aspect is HD playback of the original cartridges. Direct ROM feed is something outside of that that I neither dislike or am against - I simply feel that it's not necessary given everything else Hyperkin has brought to the table with this design.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I certainly agree that good quality HD upscaling is very important. That, accuracy (Which goes hand in hand with compatibility), proper controller support (Seems assured, at least for standard controllers), and good quality construction so something like a power button doesn't fail on me are at the top of my list. Save states, import support (Particularly for PAL regions), and the ability to load roms are at my second tier of importance.

Since I have original hardware hooked up to a nice CRT, where this has a chance to legitimately take up residence on my HDTV will be its ability to offer up things I can't or can't easily get from original hardware. One is HD support of course, but another would be the ability to load roms (Which I lack any sort of device that can do it for the Game Boy range). So if that happens, it makes this all the more attractive.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-20-2013 at 06:13 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I do not mean to hijack this thread...but it's come to my attention that several members are asking for my head. I must respectfully disagree with this. If I have been passionate in my views it is only because I am tendentious by nature, sententious by practice, and emotional due to circumstance. The circumstance naturally being the current discourse, namely, clone hardware and it's affiliates. I realize my approach has not been the most civilized. However, I must point out that I have never once attacked, slandered, or besmirched anyone on this forum. I have spoken only in generalities...generalities it seems which some members have misguidedly taken as personal affronts.

Be that as it may, I offer my apologies, and resolve, heretofore, to try my best to conduct myself in a manner more appropriate. This forum is populated with excellent noteworthy men, and I hope your forgiving hearts will be yet another indicator of such qualities.

Sincerely,
    MyTurnToPlay

thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You haven't spoken in generalities. That's the problem.

You've taken to lying and portraying your strong opinions as if they were facts in order to drag companies and products through the mud to further your personal vendetta. And this time you were caught lying about a product that you supposedly had access to a preview unit of when a company representative saw your nonsense and confirmed everyone's suspicions.

So now you've been put on notice to stop the nonsense. The best thing you can do is consider yourself lucky and if you want to remain a member here, change your habits instead of posting melodrama at a videogame forum.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-25-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    ...I offer my apologies, and resolve, heretofore, to try my best to conduct myself in a manner more appropriate. This forum is populated with excellent noteworthy men, and I hope your forgiving hearts will be yet another indicator of such qualities.

Sincerely,
    MyTurnToPlay

thank you.
    Not that my words carry any weight in such matters around here, but I see no reason not to offer a second chance in light of your apology. If a person abuses a second chance, it confirms that the repeat offender deserves no respect and that the extender of mercy may now have all uncertainty over cutting ties assuaged.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just checked my Facebook and there was a response from Hyperkin to my suggestion of adding rom play to the Retron 5:

"Travis...playing roms via a SD card slot or USB Drive has some legal ramifications, hence, this will not be a feature of the RetroN 5."

So, yeah. Looks like this won't be (officially) happening. Damn.
    Last edited by treismac; 03-25-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I got a chance to see the demo hardware in action at the Midwest Gaming Classic. The crew had F-Zero playing on an LCD TV through HDMI and it looks really sweet. Vibrant colors, sound seemed pretty spot on and the speed looked right. I didn't get a chance to play it as someone else was racing and a little voice saying "Daddy! Daddy!" the voice's hand kept beating me in the leg with a balloon.

The universal controller was very odd feeling. It fit I. My hand but the shape was angular. The thumb stick "nub" had micro switches and it audibly clicked when you moved it. Not sure if I'm a fan of that. But with all the controller ports, does it matter?

I am intrigued. I was burned by the NEX, which was my first clone, so here's hoping this turns out better.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I am looking forward to a demo when it finally reaches my friends Play N Trade. I have never used a system like this but the idea is great. I have a lot of consoles but am planning on a more minimal layout for my upstairs living area. as the downstairs is going to be my museum and is currently a mess. I think this would offer the cleaner layout upstairs, so I can have my TV mounted and not need as much shelf space. Cause honestly I love my games, but everyone who comes in my house, the first thing they see is my games. And hearing that I have a problem when the few who dont like games come over is getting old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    I have spoken only in generalities...generalities it seems which some members have misguidedly taken as personal affronts.

Be that as it may, I offer my apologies
    Sorry, but that comes across as a shallow, empty apology. You should be apologizing not for expressing your opinions (though you didn't do so in a proper, respectful manner) but instead for lying about the advanced access to the system and fabricating a story about the apparent lack of quality of the Retorn4 to fit your personal distaste of Hyperkin and clones in general.

I don't know if you've been following the Retorn5 story and this thread, but in light of what Hyperkin has recently announced, the Retorn5 will be a totally different beast from all other clones ever made and could be a game changer that causes all other clone companies to significantly boost quality.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I was burned by the NEX, which was my first clone, so here's hoping this turns out better.
    Despite having a run-of-the-mill 2005 NOAC, everything else about the NEX I absolutely love - its size, it's design, it's controllers, and it's on the surface production values. I'm on the hunt for a small, fairly decent NOAC Famiclone that I can dismantle and install inside the body of the NEX. If only the NEX had a better NOAC, it would be the king of Famiclones. Currently, that honor goes to the TriStar/Super 8.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Following over my post from here, there's a few things I'd like to point out:

First, I believe they will be offering scanline emulation on HDTVs. This could be a Good Thing for many users - we'll have to see how it's implemented.

Secondly, I better just leave their quote here:
    The boxy aspect ratio of old-school games results in black bars on the sides of a wide-screen display. Hyperkin is considering ways of filling that space, either with game data, or to stretch the picture by showing stuff that’s already passed by the screen.
    Sounds interesting but could be a mess quickly. On the other hand it would be neat to be able to select regions in memory to display - it could help gamers break down psuedo-random events to the point where they would be able to see what's coming up next.

About "stuff that's already passed by the screen," that just sounds bad, however.