Thread: Where to buy clear plastic psx long box cases

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Where to buy clear plastic psx long box cases

I have a couple of those plastic(?) clear psx long boxes cases I want to replace (for 2 of my R7 games). There someone around who sells them, and are they the same size/style as the Sega Saturn ones?
    Last edited by kainemaxwell; 03-06-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd really like to know this as well. My Panzer Dragoon case is all kinds of messed up from being packed in with other games and going through rough shipping so I'd really like to put it in one that stays together. The only thing I can think of is to use the case from a cheap PS1 longbox game, but I'd hate to orphan one game to house another like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think wha 99% of us end up doing is salvaging them from dirt cheap US Saturn sports titles (same case). I don't believe that anyone manufacturers them anymore, and I REALLY doubt anyone is supplying them retail (as opposed to wholesale quantity).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Wouldn't exactly call them that cheap on ebay, specially with most of them in various degrees of being broken...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    Wouldn't exactly call them that cheap on ebay, specially with most of them in various degrees of being broken...
    You just gotta be patient and keep an eye out locally as well. One place near me sells cheapo Saturn games for $5 each so I pick those over occasionally.

I (and others I'm sure) have looked into having replacement manufactured but it's not cost effective unless there was a very large (probably at least 5-10k pieces) demand for them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I'd like to know if there are any people from packaging industry on DP, who might have access to the original PSX longbox dies, or CAD drawings at least.
    Those dies, or computer files must be siting on some guys hdd or collecting dust. Now having said that, this could be a perfect kickstarter project.

I for once, was able to establish contact with graphic designer who HAS original PS longbox image source files, willing to sell it, but is asking $500.
    www.gamescanner.org - video game box art. Over 10 000 covers scanned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If there was a kickstarter esque project to get some replacement cases made I know I would be in. I could use several for Sega CD and Saturn titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamescanner.org View Post
    What I'd like to know if there are any people from packaging industry on DP, who might have access to the original PSX longbox dies, or CAD drawings at least.
    Those dies, or computer files must be siting on some guys hdd or collecting dust. Now having said that, this could be a perfect kickstarter project.

I for once, was able to establish contact with graphic designer who HAS original PS longbox image source files, willing to sell it, but is asking $500.
    I have plenty of resources with regards to packaging and injection molding tooling. With that said, the tools (molds) for those cases are very likely no more. It takes a rather large amount of steel to make a injection tool, and it's not cheap or easy to store. Tools are scrapped and made into new molds at the end of their usefulness. Rebuilding that case in CAD would be a freakin' snap. There is very little to it and it's just a matter of measuring and re-drawing. I'd even make improvements, such as addressing the delicate hinge. They could EASILY be reworded to stand up to a LOT more abuse than the originals without uing much, if any more plastic.

He probably just has 2D drawings if he's a graphics guy. There's no need for him to have had the 3D CAD drawings since he was most likely just using the dimensions to build a graphic template or insert art. But, I could be wrong. Might be worth asking the guy if they're 2 or 3D.
    Last edited by wiggyx; 03-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wiggy,

What would you need to be able to begin producing cases?
    I'd be interested in helping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lots of money !

I assume we're talking the standard 2-part, transparent case with gray/black disc insert. I think you'd be looking at close to 15K+ for the tool, then you'll have a minimum order, which will vary greatly from factory to factory. Could be as low as 5K units, could be as much as 50K. Figure about 2-3 bucks per assembly, and you've got an initial investment of somewhere between 25K/30K to 115K/165K.

I really don't think it would be worth it, considering the size of the market and that there are dozens upon dozens of other options for optical media storage (which is most likely why nobody has already jumped on this).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    I have a couple of those plastic(?) clear psx long boxes cases I want to replace (for 2 of my R7 games). There someone around who sells them, and are they the same size/style as the Sega Saturn ones?
    IIRC, they actually were Sega Saturn cases. Sega, or whoever made the cases, provided them to Sony for the Playstation launch, until Sony started using the black plastic long cases.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I noticed something about those cases. Sega used cases that had smaller holes in the bottom half of them for attaching the clear plastic part that held the manual and opened up than Sony did. I discovered this when trying to swap just that clear plastic part for one of the games. I couldn't do it because the plastic notch from the Playstation game's case door was too big to fit in the hole of the Sega CD game's.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hate how most the saturn games on ebay have broken cases, not the most sturdy were they.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I noticed something about those cases. Sega used cases that had smaller holes in the bottom half of them for attaching the clear plastic part that held the manual and opened up than Sony did. I discovered this when trying to swap just that clear plastic part for one of the games. I couldn't do it because the plastic notch from the Playstation game's case door was too big to fit in the hole of the Sega CD game's.
    It actually varies among Sega games, I'm not sure why or exactly when they changed the size. I came across a large bundle of Sega Saturn games in a thrift store and they had different sized holes for the lids, I found this out when I was swapping the lids to some games. The better games had broken lids while the lousy ones had nice ones, I had to be careful that the lids had the same size holes when I was switching them.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those Saturn cases are the bane of my collecting existence.

Unfortunately, as already stated, your best bet is to buy some crappy sports games that have the cases intact and just use those.